Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
Nintensity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
S14 - Akebono Big Brake Kit?

Hey guys!

I recently came across a full set of 370z Akebono Brakes which comes with 300zx Caliper brackets.

Here's the thing, I currently have the full 300zx front and rear calipers set up on my S14, would there be any issues mounting Akebono BBK on my S14? As far as I know, the 300zx front calipers are pretty much a bolt on to the S14 chassis. So wouldn't that mean the Akebono caliper would also bolt on, provided that I use the 300zx bracket provided?

Here is the page I was talking about:
Akebono Nissan 300ZX Front & Rear 14 Inch Big Brake Kit w/ Stoptech Rotors - Nissan performance parts
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You'll have to upgrade your master cylinder. Stock S14 does not have enough fluid movement to utilize those calipers.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
UNITEDMASTER
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
UNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
IIRC the akebono caliper is from a 370Z, not 300zx,i could be wrong.

Now im not sure if that caliper has the same mount bolt spacing as Z32/300zx. if it does then yea it should bolt up.

HAHA nevermind I looked at it more ,yea its a kit for 300Z so yea it should bolt on 240

MR JACKSON.
UNITEDMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
MidnightKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im curious about what happens to the handbrake
MidnightKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
BarrigaS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
BarrigaS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those are the same as the G37. Then if that bracket is made for a 300zx it will bolt to the S14.

Generally those brakes need a bracket to fit, sounds like you might have that bracket.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITEDMASTER View Post
IIRC the akebono caliper is from a 370Z, not 300zx,i could be wrong.

Now im not sure if that caliper has the same mount bolt spacing as Z32/300zx. if it does then yea it should bolt up.
Those calipers were an option (Sports Package) on the 370Z....
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Since he's converted to Z32 rear stuff, the hand brake stays the same since its a drum. On an s14 though, you're gonna need a much bigger master cylinder. IIRC, those brakes require 18in wheels or larger as well.

But to answer your question, yes, if you use that kit with the bracket provided, it will bolt up.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
That's a heck of a lot of brake for a 240! We put this same setup on my friends 37X not to long ago, didn't think it would make such a huge difference but it certainly did!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
frizzle
In time-out for misbehaving.

Trader Rating: (45)
frizzle is on the path to ruinfrizzle is on the path to ruinfrizzle is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 45 reviews
Z32 master with our kit will work fine. Handbrake will work if you already have the Z32 rear setup. Calipers are a bolt on with the brackets provided.
frizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Are you guys reading the link? The kit is to adapt the brakes to a 300zx. If you can bolt 300zx brakes to an s14, then this kit can work on a 300zx. Process of elimination. Sheesh
Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Are you guys reading the link? The kit is to adapt the brakes to a 300zx. If you can bolt 300zx brakes to an s14, then this kit can work on a 300zx. Process of elimination. Sheesh
Are you reading the post under the link dipshit?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
Are you reading the post under the link dipshit?
Calm down chief. This thread wasn't asking if the MC would work, it was asking if that kit could adapt those brakes to a 240. And it does.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
YES... S-chassis has same ears as Z32... Z33 brakes will need 5mm spacing to center the caliper over the rotor... Z34 will not fit (without the addition of a bracket) because the ears do not match and the bolts are 14mm.
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
iLagX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (40)
iLagX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iLagX
has anyone tried out this set up?

300zx front calipers on the rear.
Rear BBK Adapters for 4 Piston Z32 Calipers on 14" 370Z ROTORS 300ZX 240sx TT NA | eBay
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLagX View Post
has anyone tried out this set up?

300zx front calipers on the rear.
Rear BBK Adapters for 4 Piston Z32 Calipers on 14" 370Z ROTORS*300ZX 240sx TT NA | eBay
But why??? it's just the rear brakes..
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
vlspeedjunky

vlspeedjunky is an unknown quantity at this point
has anybody heard of somebody been able to fit this Akebono set up on 17" wheels?
vlspeedjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
EvilRB
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
EvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
No they won't already tried, I have 350z track rotors and they will barly clear 17's with the 14's rotors you will need to run a almost 19' set up possibly a 18's might clear but I haven't personally tried yet.
I'm thinking about this set up in the future but it's on the list of possible upgrades and only if I need it type of options... The 350z rotors are actually a great bang for your buck upgrade and I personally recomend it!
If you already have the Z32 upgrade the rotors cost the same and all you pay for it the adapters.

350z.= 12.75'
370z = 14'
Old 05-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
aaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I put the Akebono setup on the Tyler Cox memorial car. If you are ambitious you can look through the little build thread over here:

Tyler Cox's new S14.

As to your question of the fitment of 17s, no fucking way. I cannot imagine any 17 inch wheel fitting these things, and I tried a bunch, including RPF, battles, and a few others. These brakes are fucking HUGE. They were simply chosen for LOL factor because Tyler used to run huge Project Mu brakes on his car, and I didn't want to spend 5k doing a brake setup, so I settled on these things.

Highlights from when putting them on the car:

1. They are fucking huge, not exactly in a good way. The rotors are MASSIVE and heavy. More of a bling setup on a 240SX than anything else.

2. With adapters and stuff you still have to clearance the calipers. And that is with perfect fitting bolts with keyed heads. Assembling everything required taking stuff back off and putting it on over and over again and nibbling parts, and I purchased the full kit from a retailer as a full bolt on s14 kit.

Notice the shiny cut part.

Lathing some stuff to fit that didn't.

More fixing of interfering stuff.

Brackets look nice, but are massive lol.

This picture should give you an idea of the scale of the damn rotor. If you drop this thing on your leg while installing parts you will break your leg.

If you look at the picture of the caliper and the paper towel roll, the caliper is the size of the damn paper towel roll or bigger. : 0

3. You could have odd issues depending on your knuckle setup and control arms, wheels and other stuff. These brakes are simply huge, and might not work with every setup.

4. They look really nice on the car though, very tasteful and huge. I like the OEM look. The rotors are simply stupid big, and really heavy. With some type of fancy light weight rotor this setup would be cooler. The calipers aren't heavy so that isn't a big deal.

5. The kit I bought worked pretty well in the end, I just had to rebuy some new bolts and stuff since I didn't exactly like how their kit went together. Their brackets were very nice. I couldn't imagine trying to build a bracket setup for these brakes myself to get them on the car, it would be miserable. Even with the kit it took me a whole day of taking them on and off and fixing little issues one at a time. If you have a drift car or something, DO NOT get these lol. I put these on a drift car, and it was probably a big mistake and a waste of money, but it was a style thing.

6. I haven't driven on them yet, only put them on the car. I think all in with completely new hardware and a bolt on kit they were around 2600 dollars shipped. To my knowledge I have never seen another S chassis ever with these things on. Probably a reason lol.
aaronlosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
EvilRB
Zilvia FREAK!

EvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond repute
^Nice!!
But yeah I was thinking the same thing when it comes to what other options are avalible out there...
Old 05-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

aaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enough
The Akebono setup does work with 18x10 Rota Grids up front. That is the only wheel I have moved the car around on, but I am sure lots of other 18s would work too. I personally prefer 17s on the front of S chassis stuff and 18s out back, so this kind of bugs me. It is harder to fit massive steering angle on an s chassis with 18s up front.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
EvilRB
Zilvia FREAK!

^ thats good to know!
I guess it's about the barrel design, you mind taking a pic when you get a chance just to see the clearence?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
if it bolts on to a Z32, it will bolt on to any other nissan S / Z / Q / J platform.. they all use the same caliper mounting
Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrigaS14 View Post
Those are the same as the G37. Then if that bracket is made for a 300zx it will bolt to the S14.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
If you can bolt 300zx brakes to an s14, then this kit can work on a 300zx. Process of elimination. Sheesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post
if it bolts on to a Z32, it will bolt on to any other nissan S / Z / Q / J platform.. they all use the same caliper mounting
I love how everyone points out the obvious, yet no one points out the fact that you'll need to run a minimum of what... 19s? I'de be surprised if 18's clear those things.

With that said, it seems a lot of people dont understand what a proper sized wheel is for the S-chassis.

No, its not 14". And its not 19".
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
I love how everyone points out the obvious, yet no one points out the fact that you'll need to run a minimum of what... 19s? I'de be surprised if 18's clear those things.

With that said, it seems a lot of people dont understand what a proper sized wheel is for the S-chassis.

No, its not 14". And its not 19".
18s fit, we already stated that in this thread. 19s will not be necessary

Quote:
Yes and no. Kind of. If you have just Z32 brackets you will have to cut into the calipers almost quarter of an inch to fit these things where the bolts heads for the adapter brackets protrude into where the calipers need to be. So they will not fit just bolting them onto an s chassis with brackets unless you cut stuff up a good bit. These things are huge, and that becomes a problem trying to get them on the silly car lol.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
vlspeedjunky

well I guess I'm getting rid off my akebonos I got 17" with M&H dot tires on the back I rather get some money out of them and go with the G35/350z set up or Z32's rather than starting all over... I had Z32's all the way around with E-brake before but they use to squeak a lot I taught it was the brake pads at the beginning but after like 6 different sets of pads I gave up... I must say though the braking power is definitely amazing... any ideas of why they use to squeak??? y try grease, pads, new rotors and master cylinder the only thing I didn't try was rebuilding the calipers...
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
I bet you're running the alum calipers? They overheat easy. This is why I believe they switched to the cast iron ones later on, less finicky and can take the abuse better.

Ducting is important with the Z32 calipers. IMO, rebuild will not help.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
vlspeedjunky

I did up grade my master cylinder but now that IXFXI mention the aluminum and cast deal I think that's what it was... Well learn something new for the next set up...
Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #28
Rich260z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Rich260z is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Those are fucking huge.
Rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #29
r33nota240
Leaky Injector

r33nota240 is an unknown quantity at this point
U could always to vette brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120713_111543.jpg (491.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 20120713_102949.jpg (526.5 KB, 138 views)
r33nota240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
r33nota240
Leaky Injector

r33nota240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Same rotors but 6 piston calipers.
r33nota240 is offline   Reply With Quote