Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Enjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enjin Send a message via Yahoo to Enjin
how hot is necessary to burn out old bushings?

I am in the process of replacing my old 200k mile bushings with the rsr kit.

I have a propane torch. it is hot enough that it turns green, however, maybe my technique is wrong because I am not having any luck melting out the old bushings per instruction sheet.

anyone have any tips? or would I be better off just biting the financial bullet and spending about $250 taking all of my detached suspension arms over to a shop to have them replace them?

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Enjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
hammer it out as well and pry it
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
undesiredshoe
Zilvia Addict

undesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to undesiredshoe
Find the pyro kid down the street and he should have the necessary tools to burn those suckas!

Gasoline.
undesiredshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Map gas torch and appropriate size sockets and a hammer.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
try torching metal surrounding the bushings and the inner metal ring, just get it really hot. and they eventually start to pop out on their own. you can just get the rest of the remains with a flat head screw driver and some more heat. a small wire brush helps as well.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

Enjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enough
ok cool. concerning the socket technique... how do I position it so that I can hammer it OUT, rather than INTO THE FLOOR?

maybe put it half on a table and half off? I don't really have a workshop, and no table with vice grip...

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
you get a socket that fits around the outside edge of the bushing and another socket that'll catch the bushing when it falls. and simply beat the smaller socket until the bushing falls into the bigger socket.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

solid advice, thanks.

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
devnull
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
devnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've used things as small as a hand-held propane torch (the kind you use for soldering pipe), but a professional oxyacetylene setup makes things so much easier that it's laughable. I find that heating the bushing up from the outside burns the rubber away from the shell better, which makes cutting out the shell a lot easier.

With the little propane torch I had no choice but to burn the bushing from the middle, which still took way too much time and left me with a big mess while cutting the shells.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
ryguy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
ryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Harbor Freight has some relatively cheap bushing presses, $100 or so for the cheap one and mid $250 for the big mofo. They have some in between too.
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Not that that actually answers your original question.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
When metal gets hot, it expands. You dont want the bearing to expand, so torch the metal around the bearings, and try to keep the bearing cool with oil or something.

Then take a BFH, beat away, say fuck it, and get a 2.2 stroker kit lol.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
180sx Fan
Zilvia Member

180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all180sx Fan is a name known to all
i have that harbour friehgt cheap press works good did my bushing install and a friends with it now.

sex panda hes talking about bushings not bearings.
180sx Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

hahahaha I love BFH.

found a local guy to do it for $100 so I say f it, I still have a big propane torch just laying around :-P

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Propane torch is fine, just let em burn!
We dont need no water let the motherfucker burn!
Seriously though lust let em burn untill the rubber starts oozing out of the bushing, then let em burn some more. The inner sleeve will literally just fall out on the ground. Then you just take a flathead screwdriver while it is still burning and scrape the leftover rubber out, a LONG screwdriver for god's sake I don't want you to burn the crap outta yourself! After that cut through the outer sleeve with a hacksaw and then knock the outer sleeve out with a punch and hammer. Don't be too worried about cutting into the arm slightly either, it won't hurt anything unless you cut like halfway through the thing.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
aNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aNskY
propane or map will take forever for any decent size bushings.
i did my subframe with a cutting torch (acetylene/o2) and i had the whole job done in a couple hours.
aNskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Mapp gass is a better choice than propane for heating up the multi-links, its much quicker, but I do agree with aNskY about the subframe (acetylene/o2) would be alot quicker than Mapp let alone propane.

Mapp gas: ~5301° F (2927° C)
Propane: ~3614° F (1990° C)
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #17
Nikeboy355
Zilvia Addict

Nikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond repute
Buy a press or take it to a shop that has one...

I only used a torch when I was burning out the subframe bushings...
Nikeboy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
njd07
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (14)
njd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via MSN to njd07
I used propane torch...juts gotta keep at it...takes a bit longer then acetaline torch...but owell all I had. just keep at it...try and get it to the point where its on fire burning by itself.
njd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
drew_DST

drew_DST is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow I'm super late to the party! But I agree with those of you supporting the burning out option.

It's not neccessary or efficient to burn the rubber. All you have to do is heat the housing to break the chemical bond between the rubber and shell.

I have some detailed pictures of the process in an article I wrote about how to properly burn out suspension bushings:

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...the-right-way/

There is also a video for anyone who doesn't like to read.

Now that it has been a few (7) years, has anyone had any negative results in this method?
drew_DST is offline   Reply With Quote