Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
tougemaster
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
tougemaster has made poor choicestougemaster has made poor choicestougemaster has made poor choicestougemaster has made poor choicestougemaster has made poor choicestougemaster has made poor choicestougemaster has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
D-Max hood vs rain

Recently bough a D-max carbon hood for my s13 and I was thinking if is ok the park/drive the car under the big rain.

tougemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
JVD
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You'll be fine.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
jookybanana
Zilvia Junkie

jookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfection
i got a dmax and it seems to be ok in the rain,
if your driving you will be fine, or parked for short time, but i'm not down with leaving it out over night or longer with big rain storm, the vents can get lots of water puddles fast and pour into the engine bay
jookybanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I was actually curious about this as well. I guess water gets up there anyway when driving during a rain. It cant be good to have water pooling up on your valve cover though.

Anyone that drives during rain with these hoods chime in please?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
pink godzila
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (226)
pink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 226 reviews
As long dont let you car sit over night or too long under the big rain.. then you all good so dont worry.,
pink godzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
ah

vented hood + rain and squeeling belts.

memories.
ILoveJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
I have a vented hood, and the worst I've ever had is squealing belts on start up... but it goes away after a few seconds. In winter / snow my hood came with a "rain guard" that fits in place under the hood and covers up the vents. I used to use that when I daily'd the car in the winter. Now she sits in a garage when she isn't driven so no worries

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
moonshinekouki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
moonshinekouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
its fine
jsut when u shut her off throw on the under tray for the hood and ur good.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
mothon
Zilvia Addict

mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Same here only issue i seemed to have was with the belts.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I guess if you were too worried, you could just tape up the vents with 3M painter's tape...
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
i have mine out in the rain, biggest problem i have is it makes the engine look dirty. runs fine though
TheArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
lol you illiterate bastards... "the big rain"
Old 10-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
lol, people are worried of the valve cover?

I'd worry about the distributor or ignition system or any other wires. Spark plug leads usually work well because they are the 'beefy' wires. But if you get anything wet inside lets say a distributor, no start!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Eh, you're fine. It's just water.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Don't you guys hose down your engine bay after an event?

what the heck is the deal???
Old 10-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
They are fucking the wicked witch and are afraid of water.

If you have a a car with coilpacks just make sure you have the coilpack cover on.

I washed all my cars engine bay and never had a problem.

Put hood on, don't worry.

Done.

Anyways, the vents are towards the front of the engine. Somewhere between the radiator and the 1st cyl.

Nothing will happen.

/done.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #17
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
thank you zar

if u own a crap hood then it will dump onto your cylnders
a well made hood has the last vent right after the clutch fan shroud
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
DMaxUSA
Zilvia Junkie

DMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond repute
Dousan is 100% correct

The last vent dumps rain water right after the fan shroud.

But you can avoid the whole problem by driving faster!!!.....j/k

dmax-us.com
DMaxUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
mxsx25
Zilvia Junkie

mxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to mxsx25
i hate squealing belts < i love cf hoods .. squeal is worth it to me lol
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Just hope your 15 year old electrical system is sound.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsx25 View Post
i hate squealing belts < i love cf hoods .. squeal is worth it to me lol
As long as the belts are fresh and everything is taught, there shouldn't be any squealing. None of my S-chassis' ever squealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post
Just hope your 15 year old electrical system is sound.
Trippin.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 AM   #22
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
do you think they "bench" the dmax cars when it rains? LOL. man com'on now. your car will run just fine as long as your alternator and air filter isnt submerged in water. why do you think offroad die hards have snorkles? and even still with alternators, some can withstand a lot of water.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #23
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
That makes sense with the position of the vents. Awesome. Thanks guys.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #24
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WISH ONE
^^^Yo man please change your User photo Im sick of looking at that ugly girl/guy it is scaring me, its really starting to... in all seriousness.. i ask you please. everytime you post i have to see that.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #25
94porkchop
Zilvia Member

94porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISH ONE View Post
^^^Yo man please change your User photo Im sick of looking at that ugly girl/guy it is scaring me, its really starting to... in all seriousness.. i ask you please. everytime you post i have to see that.

i hope he reponds to this
Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #26
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
I cant wait to rock D-Max on the 15
Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
dmax_silvia_s13
Leaky Injector

dmax_silvia_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dmax_silvia_s13
I have a dmax hood on my silvia and its totally FINE.
Have drove it in POURING rain and done everything and never had one problem with it.
Its just water I dont get it?
Do you guys never wash your engine bay?
A couple vents lets in a lot less water then pressure washing your engine.
The only thing that pisses me off is when im washing my car I can never get the water out of the vents no matter how hard I try there is always a puddle created in every vent. And then i start to drive and it fliess alll over my car.
Conclusion....
NO PROBLEM
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #28
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Awesome.
Does DMAX supply the vent covers with their hoods? [for parking outside during rain or whatever even though it seems like it wont affect shit]
Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #29
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
Awesome.
Does DMAX supply the vent covers with their hoods? [for parking outside during rain or whatever even though it seems like it wont affect shit]

No they don't

Just put any waterproof material over the hood

You could tuck it under the edges of the hood to hold it down

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Done. Thanks guys.