Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
RB High Mileage body Northeast car?

Looking to buy a 240sx as my first real car, and im wondering how many miles is too many miles on an s13. Found one for sale in Albany for $4500 with an rb20det swap with a few mods to it (turbo off the rb25, hks 272 cams, etc.), coilovers, FMIC, aem tru boost, welded diff. The only thing im worried about is the 221k miles on the car. The swap has about 60k on the engine and tranny so im not very worried about that. Im just looking for a good platform to build off of with a decent amount of things done to the car for me to save the money for doing them myself. The cars been in the northeast for its whole life im assuming, and im just wondering if its a good buy or not. I want to know if I should just stay away from it before i start asking for more pictures/information and eventually save myself the 3 hour drive up to Albany. Thanks
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Go here and ask the same question.
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=609900
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
Looking to buy a 240sx as my first real car, and im wondering how many miles is too many miles on an s13. Found one for sale in Albany for $4500 with an rb20det swap with a few mods to it (turbo off the rb25, hks 272 cams, etc.), coilovers, FMIC, aem tru boost, welded diff. The only thing im worried about is the 221k miles on the car. The swap has about 60k on the engine and tranny so im not very worried about that. Im just looking for a good platform to build off of with a decent amount of things done to the car for me to save the money for doing them myself. The cars been in the northeast for its whole life im assuming, and im just wondering if its a good buy or not. I want to know if I should just stay away from it before i start asking for more pictures/information and eventually save myself the 3 hour drive up to Albany. Thanks
If the body isn't rusted to shit and the wiring harness isn't all burnt, Mileage is completely irrelevant.

Just make sure things were done right. Almost all these cars have high miles now, and when you modify them mileage considerations really aren't important anymore. It becomes an issue of condition and quality of work done
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i had 220k on my s13 when i swapped the rb25det in there held up for about 2 years before i blew the motor up. and it did have rust
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
i had 220k on my s13 when i swapped the rb25det in there held up for about 2 years before i blew the motor up. and it did have rust
Glad to hear some good news I plan on having the car for at least a few years so I'll see if he can give me more insight into the rust and maybe some underbody pictures
Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd worry about the body/rust, and a place that'll pass inspection at.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'd worry about the body/rust, and a place that'll pass inspection at.
How bad would the rust have to be to make me worry about inspection? Any rules of thumb and how wild I go about fixing it if it's in bad shape
Old 02-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Measure the chassis and see if it's within spec. The limits for flex are in the fsm.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
warningx

Trader Rating: (0)
warningx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just check for rust. I just picked up a 1995 with 236k on it. Has rust in the quarters, and a small spot on the strut tower, but not where it actually sits. But underneath it's beginning to, but is all solid still, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.
warningx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
If the body isn't rusted to shit and the wiring harness isn't all burnt, Mileage is completely irrelevant.

Just make sure things were done right. Almost all these cars have high miles now, and when you modify them mileage considerations really aren't important anymore. It becomes an issue of condition and quality of work done
this ^^^^^^^
Old 02-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Body rust isn't something I'd be concerned about. I've had a few NE cars (since that's where I currently live) with quater panels rusted, slight rust around trunk/hatch areas, anywhere where water can drip and sit. It wasn't a big deal. Frame rust is something you want to look out for. As far as mileage is concerned, mileage, smileage. Look for a quality build that's been well maintained.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
any penetrating rust will fail safety inspection in mass.
Same with loud exhausts, tints, etc.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #13
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftsucky View Post
Body rust isn't something I'd be concerned about. I've had a few NE cars (since that's where I currently live) with quater panels rusted, slight rust around trunk/hatch areas, anywhere where water can drip and sit. It wasn't a big deal. Frame rust is something you want to look out for. As far as mileage is concerned, mileage, smileage. Look for a quality build that's been well maintained.
Thanks ill be sure to look out for all that. You think its worth looking at cars down south just to avoid all that, especially with the strict(er) inspections in MA? Im just not looking forward to breaking off bolts and such under the car stuck on from all the salt and rust. Also any ways or products worth investing in to prevent rust and all that from happening? Ill probably keep off the roads for the most part in the winters anyways but i guess you never know.