Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Shithole apartment help

Hey guys, asking a random question because I know Zilvia knows at least a little bit about EVERYTHING soooo, here we go...

I ACCIDENTALLY signed a 15 month lease at this old shithole of an apartment/townhouse. Once I get in there, I realize the plumbing and hot water are all broiler based and my unit shares it with several other units. Meaning, it's real iffy whether I'm gonna have hot water when I turn on the faucet. The management says you gotta let the water run for up to 15 minutes sometimes before it gets hot... these bitches must be crazy. And if I do get hot water, it can go lukewarm to ice cold at any moment during use. Most suspenseful showers EVER.

So I'm wondering if you guys know of any nifty gadgets that can be installed in an apartment or townhouse that I don't own to alleviate this? The management knows their property is a shit hole, so I'd rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission at this point... Any ideas, guys?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Would you be willing to relocate if it did NOT forfeit security deposit? Also what county is this in?
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Setting the building on fire is an option if you're looking to heat things up and then ask for forgiveness.

(Phlip note: this is AWFUL advice and no sentient adult being should take it)

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
^^^Lol... I need the laughs right now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
Would you be willing to relocate if it did NOT forfeit security deposit? Also what county is this in?
How could I do that? I already had to pay out the ass to early terminate my prior lease and get into this place, so I'm hesitant to finance another move right now. Shit, we haven't even completely moved into this place yet.

Long story short, had to move from Tarrant county to Dallas county to get into DISD so my kid could be eligible to apply for this Montessori school we feel that she really needs to be in. I had like 1 week to find a new place to stay in the Dallas Independent School District area and didn't have enough time to do a very thorough search/investigation of a lot of properties.

I dove into this place because the location in Addison, TX is amazing, it's bigger than our old place for not much more money. It looked great ON PAPER. Complete dive when you move in. I didn't even mention the fact that the place has got roaches. FML.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Electric tankless water heater, easy standalone system.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
Electric tankless water heater, easy standalone system.
I've heard of those, but never used one, especially in an apartment setting. Is that something I should contact a plumber for? In order to circumvent the broiler? I'm just fuzzy on how it works.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
You're renting... How on Earth are you going to circumvent the boiler without your landlord freaking out? That really sucks, maybe you should get out when you have a chance... Unless you're going to run a hose from the faucet through a tankless heater for 15 months [emoji102]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be going over the lease and renter protection laws.

As for the water, tankless would be the only solution, but you'll need the landlord's approval(written and signed to cover your ass), and you'd most likely would have to pay for the plumber to splice into the water lines.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wykydtron View Post
You're renting... How on Earth are you going to circumvent the boiler without your landlord freaking out? That really sucks, maybe you should get out when you have a chance... Unless you're going to run a hose from the faucet through a tankless heater for 15 months [emoji102]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
See, that's what I was thinking. What I'm hoping for is something I can install in my unit without the management knowing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
I'd be going over the lease and renter protection laws.

As for the water, tankless would be the only solution, but you'll need the landlord's approval(written and signed to cover your ass), and you'd most likely would have to pay for the plumber to splice into the water lines.

Yeah, between the lack of consistent hot water and the roach issue, maybe I'll have a case.
Y'all. They told us they had Orkin spray 3 days before we picked up the keys. Walked the unit when we got the keys & saw 1 live roach in a bathroom and like 2 dead ones in dining room. I put out roach traps, foggers and had them come spray every room again. Still seeing a few. Not sure what to do now. Moving out would drain more money that we're saving for our house for... UGH.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Doubt the tankless water heater would work for the obvious reason of requiring water hook up. That's not that big of a deal, the bigger issue is venting them as they can blow back exhaust. Thus, it may likely result in some type of building code or permit issue...not to mention carbon monoxide poisoning (God forbid).

As far as leaving early it sounds as if the landlord is not keeping this property habitable (adequate electricity, water, sanitation, etc.) and there are laws that vary state to state to protect the renter. The link below is a quick run down. In full disclosure I'm by no means an expert but I'm a full time cop and am in class for my real estate license.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter7-2.html

Start annotating ALL contact with the landlord or property manager. Try and use email and/or text message as the primary contact. Print everything and label it for your records; your inquiry, their response, disposition, etc. Also, I would also film the water turning on with a thermometer and how long it takes to actually get to a usable level. This will show that the x amount of minutes is not only a waste of water but it is potentially creating a financial burden due to your water bill being so high. You could techincally do the math to put an exact dollar amount on it. Regardless, it just looks good if you have something like that when you bring it up to the county as it is proof and they know your not imbellishing or something.

Side note: I'm going to be in Leander, TX in March and am SUPER excited as its my first trip to the state. Always wanted to visit!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Hey thanks a ton. I'll look that over.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
On the tankless, you would only need one water supply (3/4”) and an appropriate plug for the unit (varies). The “feed” off the unit would be coupled with the shower hot water supply and that would end the run...depending on what size unit you could only supply what it will push....good luck, maybe reach out to your state for who to call about it.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
Green Arrow
BANNED

Quote:
Doubt the tankless water heater would work for the obvious reason of requiring water hook up. That's not that big of a deal, the bigger issue is venting them as they can blow back exhaust. Thus, it may likely result in some type of building code or permit issue...not to mention carbon monoxide poisoning (God forbid).

As far as leaving early it sounds as if the landlord is not keeping this property habitable (adequate electricity, water, sanitation, etc.) and there are laws that vary state to state to protect the renter. The link below is a quick run down. In full disclosure I'm by no means an expert but I'm a full time cop and am in class for my real estate license.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter7-2.html

Start annotating ALL contact with the landlord or property manager. Try and use email and/or text message as the primary contact. Print everything and label it for your records; your inquiry, their response, disposition, etc. Also, I would also film the water turning on with a thermometer and how long it takes to actually get to a usable level. This will show that the x amount of minutes is not only a waste of water but it is potentially creating a financial burden due to your water bill being so high. You could techincally do the math to put an exact dollar amount on it. Regardless, it just looks good if you have something like that when you bring it up to the county as it is proof and they know your not imbellishing or something.

Side note: I'm going to be in Leander, TX in March and am SUPER excited as its my first trip to the state. Always wanted to visit!
You’re wrong, electric doesn’t have exhaust. That’s gas.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #14
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

ald;jfadfad
Old 02-02-2018, 01:35 AM   #15
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've turned expert on stuff like this, unfortunately.

What you are describing falls into the category of WARRANTY OF HABITABILITY. If you dont have heat, running water (hot or cold), missing window screens, smoke detectors, etc... then the place isnt considered habitable.

Landlords have rights. Tenants have rights. As a tenant, you have plenty of rights that you can exercise.... NOW.

You need to speak with someone who has proper knowledge of how the system works. There are a lot of tricks when it comes to situations like this.

A few rules to follow:
1) All correspondence should be kept in written or email (not verbal).
2) Gather evidence (photos and/or video)

Make your request/demand for repair in letter. You need to give them the chance to remedy the problem(s).

3) Push comes to shove, call the city on them (housing department, code enforcement). They will come out and cite the owner(s). After X amount of days, they are not entitled to collect rent. When situations like this go neglected, these are grounds where you can break your lease and bounce. You may need to sue them to get back your security deposit. If they dont give that security deposit back within X amount of days, they owe you for damages.

You can even strong-hand the situation and use that deposit towards your last months rent - let them chase you for damages (if you even cause any). If they claim you caused damages, they will need to prove that in court with itemized deductions and receipts. Its an uphill battle for them, unless you really fucked the place up.

LOTS of tricks in the book. Be smart and document everything. Hope this helps.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #16
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^I was half expecting a troll response when I saw your name had replied...lol... But thanks a bunch for the super useful info. I'm glad you mentioned one other thing that I hadn't put online here: the unit was indeed missing screens too. I submitted work orders and some have been installed, but we're still waiting on screens for my kids room, which is upstairs. That shit is mortifying to me. And though I've never felt the need to test smoke detectors in any place I've lived previously, but seeing as how my roach foggers didn't set them off, I probably should do that ASAP.

I have indeed started to correspond via email to track every conversation, particularly the opportunities given to resolve things. I think I'll start my own issues tracking log too, as has been suggested.

I do want to contact some sanctioning body who has authority on these matters. Not sure if that means lawyer up or call some tenants association or something though.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^I was half expecting a troll response when I saw your name had replied...lol... But thanks a bunch for the super useful info. I'm glad you mentioned one other thing that I hadn't put online here: the unit was indeed missing screens too. I submitted work orders and some have been installed, but we're still waiting on screens for my kids room, which is upstairs. That shit is mortifying to me. And though I've never felt the need to test smoke detectors in any place I've lived previously, but seeing as how my roach foggers didn't set them off, I probably should do that ASAP.

I have indeed started to correspond via email to track every conversation, particularly the opportunities given to resolve things. I think I'll start my own issues tracking log too, as has been suggested.

I do want to contact some sanctioning body who has authority on these matters. Not sure if that means lawyer up or call some tenants association or something though.
Don't waste money on a lawyer yet and DO NOT try to play games with deposits or payments. If you wind up in court you still have to pay a lawyer even if the court sides with you. Just call the county and ask them for advice. They will have more resources and guide you better than we can.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #18
simmode1
Post Whore!

Yeah, thats a good starting point. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #19
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^I was half expecting a troll response when I saw your name had replied...lol... But thanks a bunch for the super useful info.
hey come on man, its one thing to talk shit about car nonsense, its another thing when it comes to peoples' livelihood. Thats the thing that people dont understand about tenant rights, the general consensus is that landlords can do whatever they want. That is NOT true. Get the knowledge and protect ya gaddamn neck. Furthermore, cash rules everything around us - YOU are the customer. You pay your gaddamn rent, your landlord better be giving you A+ service. The minute they start skimping is the minute you start exercising your rights. Its just like Jim Brown said "I pay my damn taxes and I want my equal rights." Your rental property is YOUR rental property. You and your family live there. You need to look after YOUR interests. As long as you're paying, you're the customer.

Quote:
Don't waste money on a lawyer yet and DO NOT try to play games with deposits or payments. If you wind up in court you still have to pay a lawyer even if the court sides with you. Just call the county and ask them for advice. They will have more resources and guide you better than we can.
^ Correct, there is a time and place for withholding rent or bouncing out of a rental and skipping that last months rent. Thats literally when the shit hits the fan and you're leaving. In the end, however, this shit ends up in small claims court where you represent yourself anyway. I woudlnt sweat it much because most landlords know that its a losing battle and a colossal waste of time. Plus, actually collecting from a tenant is rather wishful thinking since people who rent typically dont have tons of money. If they did, they wouldnt be renting.

After contact them via email/letter, give them a chance to make these damn repairs. If and when they dont, do what I said above, contact the "housing department CODE ENFORCEMENT" (google it for your city), they'll send an inspector over and the owners will be cited for whatever violations they've made. Just know that the minute you do that... it means: "shots fired." Your landlord will NOT be happy and I would highly advise to have been prepared to relocate at the end of your lease. And thats why you document everything so that if and when you go to court, for anything, you're ass is covered.

Good luck and holler at me if you need more advice.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #20
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
^This. As a former landlord, I agree.

lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #21
simmode1
Post Whore!

Sage wisdom here. Thanks to you guys, I have a practical plan in place. I'll keep you bros updated.