Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
510_jøé

Trader Rating: (0)
510_jøé is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rota grids

i am gearing up for a q45 brake upgrade have the caliper rotors, 5 lug hub conversion kit etc. and since im going 4 lug to 5 lug that means new wheels, i was hoping to get some enkei's but the style that i like dosent come in the size that i am looking for and before i suck it up and buy em i was wondering if i could get some opinions on the rota grids. i google some reviews about them and im getting mixed reviews some say they suck, easy to break, some say that they never had an issue with em, as with everything there are good and bad things but all the websites i looked on i didnt really find a review from 240 owners. whats you guys take on the rota grids

ps its been awhile since i been on here sorry if this is the wrong section
510_jøé is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
CharCharXD
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
CharCharXD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wheels are wheels dude. People on this forum could bash on fake wheels all day but at the end of the day, its really up to you. I've seen rotas crack before. They could probably cover you if anything like that happened.
CharCharXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
This has been covered over and over.
If you're cheap, get Rotas. If you like quality, get something else. Enkeis are a great value.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You are right this is not the correct spot, go find the small questions and answers thread next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
xbl1nd
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
xbl1nd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Another point of view...

Alot of people judging fake wheels and bashing on fake wheels are typically referring to them breaking when drifting...Yes, Rotas can break on hard driving..its proven, real wheels are not only made for good looks but also to be lightweight, and provide good offsets for different suspension setups and brake/coilover clearances, if you plan on drifting on a budget like most people do, you can make adjustments to increase driving safety by using s14 se or get a extra set of 350z wheels or other OEM 5x114.3 for the track to minimize this from happening and run the grids on the street for DD or Sunday cruise to prevent headaches.
xbl1nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ComicArtist is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The majority of the 'broken fake wheels' threads originate from people who have bashed their cars into walls or curbs.

BIG SURPRISE

I've driven/drifted hard on replica and 'real' wheels, and have been fine. Only wheel I've ever broken was when I smashed an XXR into a curb, it broke a chunk out of the lip, hit the curb at around 45mph, what do you expect.

I have a problem with people calling them 'fake', because they're still wheels. They're just replicas of wheels that established wheel companies have already made. Biggest difference is in the casting/forging process. It's cheaper to cast a single piece aluminum wheel than to make a forged 3 piece wheel, which is why Rotas and XXR's are cheaper.

I'm not a fan of them, since they're knocking off cool wheels, but at the same time it just makes you cooler if you have the real thing.

If you're drifting them, buy the replicas. That way you don't have to spend $6-800 to replace one when you smash into something.

If you're just trying to look cool/baller when you're rolling around, buy the OG shit, that way you'll be a baller and can be proud of your wheels.

I wish people would quit bitching about it honestly
ComicArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
doborder02

doborder02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rotas are what they are... if you want it get it, otherwise, move on!!!
doborder02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
SidewaysS13ka
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
SidewaysS13ka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
my buddy has been drifting rotas for atleast 2 years on and off the track and they seem to be holding up..
SidewaysS13ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
510_jøé

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicArtist View Post
The majority of the 'broken fake wheels' threads originate from people who have bashed their cars into walls or curbs.

BIG SURPRISE

I've driven/drifted hard on replica and 'real' wheels, and have been fine. Only wheel I've ever broken was when I smashed an XXR into a curb, it broke a chunk out of the lip, hit the curb at around 45mph, what do you expect.

I have a problem with people calling them 'fake', because they're still wheels. They're just replicas of wheels that established wheel companies have already made. Biggest difference is in the casting/forging process. It's cheaper to cast a single piece aluminum wheel than to make a forged 3 piece wheel, which is why Rotas and XXR's are cheaper.

thats kinda what i thought too people crashed into something therefor screwing up their wheels but if that is the case from what you are saying rotas should hold up just fine right
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
510_jøé

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicArtist View Post

BIG SURPRISE

thats kinda what i thought too people crashed into something therefor screwing up their wheels but if that is the case from what you are saying rotas should hold up just fine right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysS13ka View Post
my buddy has been drifting rotas for atleast 2 years on and off the track and they seem to be holding up..
really no problems?...is your friend also on zilvia...i kinda want to shoot him a pm
Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
teh smithers
Zilvia Junkie

teh smithers is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheels are wheels. They all perform the same function.

However, used sets of cool Japanese wheels in good sizes turn up on here all the time. Oftentimes, they're only slightly more expensive than a new set of Rotas or other cheaper brands. I picked up my SSR's for 1000 beans and I've been chillin' ever since.
teh smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #12
genericforumname
Zilvia Member

Location: Florida, where we prove that shit does in fact run down hill
genericforumname is making a name for him/her selfgenericforumname is making a name for him/her self
Enkei rpf1's aren't that much more expensive than some of the rota's I've seen around and you get extra strength, less weight, and the knowledge that someone isn't aping a design that cost a company time and effort to make for pennies on the dollar while paying them 0 in royalties.

my problem isn't necessarily with the knockoffs themselves but with the effect this has on companies that actually design their wheels and make new designs. This is also a question about the mindset of modders nowadays mainly I just wonder why people are so concerned with doing mods RIGHT NOW instead of waiting until the time is right to do the job properly with not-crap parts. Also I do get concerned now and again when people use cheap-o suspension arms and drive fast. Always paranoid they're going to fail and take me or someone else out. though this is about wheels so eh.
genericforumname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
which enkei wheel and what size are you looking for? maybe you arent looking hard enough, or do you know for sure that enkei does not make the wheel in that size?

go with enkei and you will not have any regrets

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've said this before but, when you hit a curb and break a rota/XXR/whatever, you blame the wheel. When you hit a curb and break a 'real wheel' you blame the curb.

All in all I've had my Grids for ~20,000 miles now, and they're no worse than any other wheel I've driven on for that long. Only thing that's suspect is the overall quality of the casting since I had some issues getting them balanced properly. Our theory was that there are some voids in the wheel (bubbles) from the casting process that make the wheels essentially impossible to balance perfectly.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've been beating the hell out of my rota p45r's for the better part of 5 years. Every thing from dirt roads, to DD to drifting/off-roading. They have held up pretty good so far. Wouldn't mind another set of p45's or grids for spares. Look at your budget and be honest with yourself. Sure, everyone wants a quality set of wheels, but there is nothing wrong with replica's for the time being. I like replica's because if I put them on and decide they're not right for my car or that I just don't like the way they look, more people will be able to afford them when I re-sell em, or if I do break one, I don't have to smuggle balloons of heroin out of mexico to afford a new one. As far as companies that make replica's, Rota is descent. Besides, no matter what you do, someone, somewhere is going to have something to say about it good or bad.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
genericforumname
Zilvia Member

Location: Florida, where we prove that shit does in fact run down hill
genericforumname is making a name for him/her selfgenericforumname is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
I've said this before but, when you hit a curb and break a rota/XXR/whatever, you blame the wheel. When you hit a curb and break a 'real wheel' you blame the curb.

All in all I've had my Grids for ~20,000 miles now, and they're no worse than any other wheel I've driven on for that long. Only thing that's suspect is the overall quality of the casting since I had some issues getting them balanced properly. Our theory was that there are some voids in the wheel (bubbles) from the casting process that make the wheels essentially impossible to balance perfectly.
honestly man not really tryin' to be a dick about it but that doesn't seem like it could cause a potentially serious safety issue? I would think improperly balanced wheels could put undue stress on hubs and studs and potentially lead to failures.Not only that but doesn't that create a much greater chance of cracks and splits? I'm not an engineer but it would make sense if it were true.

if anything send those pos's back and make Rota replace them. sounds like a potentially serious defect. I know Rota sent a replacement to that guy that managed to rotate the spokes inside the barrels on a set he was using for drifting. It's worth an email at least.
genericforumname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Cracked enkei RP1s after riding over a railroad track, blamed the railroad track.

Cracked Rota slipstreams after hitting the curve, blamed the curb.

Same thing over again =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
theericsmith
Zilvia Member

theericsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
ive seen te37s smashed into countless pieces and i've seen rotas smashed into countless pieces. I have been dailying on grids on my s14 for about a year and they are fine.

People with real wheels bash fake wheels because they regret spending all that money for a logo so they have to try and justify to themselves that it was the right decision. Rotas are great IMO so go ahead, you won't be disappointed.
theericsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Try this on for size...

Enkei's use a special flow forming technology that they've recently lent to Koenig wheels, called MAT. You should read up on it, and JWL/VIA Standards (the one's Volks, Enkeis, A-Tech and even Rota are made to), you might learn something. Especially when you see that Volk has their own higher standard.

It's still as much your choice as ever. But knowledge is power.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
FRpilot
Post Whore!

FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by theericsmith View Post
ive seen te37s smashed into countless pieces and i've seen rotas smashed into countless pieces. I have been dailying on grids on my s14 for about a year and they are fine.

People with real wheels bash fake wheels because they regret spending all that money for a logo so they have to try and justify to themselves that it was the right decision. Rotas are great IMO so go ahead, you won't be disappointed.
You really think people buy real te37s for the logo?

oh wait... you have rotas. you wouldn't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Super Advan master race reporting in.

Get whatever wheels you can afford. This isn't hard.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
If you have no self worth and dignity then buy Rotas.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by theericsmith View Post
Yeah, NO...

People with real wheels bash knockoffs because we took the time and spent the money to buy something that we can be proud of. We take pride in our purchase and the primary issue is when people try to apply the same pride to their knockoffs. It's NOT the same thing and it never will be. Is a fake Armani suit just as good and cool as an original? I think not...

Oftentimes you can get a good condition set of used quality wheels for the same price as the stinking Rotas, as stated previously.

As has been stated, if you're drifting buy the knockoffs. That way you can smash them into little tiny bits and laugh it off. For a daily wheel something name brand, but not super light and fragile would be ideal. Super light forged wheels should be reserved for track (not drift) and show useage.

Most people would never notice the difference between a knockoff and legit wheel. Most of you don't have the mental capacity to undestand or appreciate the differences in manufacturing techniques. As long as it looks cool you're mostly good with it. Most people here don't have the moral capacity to appreciate that an "original" design is worth something and a knockoff of said design is worthless.

I believe that different wheels have different purposes. You need to buy the wheel that suits YOUR purposes. Having a little pride in your purchase never hurts either though.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
510_jøé

thank you all for your opinions but i finally made a decision tired of researching and sunce all the styles i like i cant find as 16" imma stick with 17's and despite my decision between rotas or enkeis im going xxr's lol
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #25
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Old 10-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #26
teh smithers
Zilvia Junkie

teh smithers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510_jøé View Post
im going xxr's lol
teh smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #27
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510_jøé View Post
thank you all for your opinions but i finally made a decision tired of researching and sunce all the styles i like i cant find as 16" imma stick with 17's and despite my decision between rotas or enkeis im going xxr's lol
And...for $400 a month ago, I bought myself a full set of Kosei K1s

Rotas are one thing....XXRs is a whole another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #28
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericforumname View Post
honestly man not really tryin' to be a dick about it but that doesn't seem like it could cause a potentially serious safety issue? I would think improperly balanced wheels could put undue stress on hubs and studs and potentially lead to failures.Not only that but doesn't that create a much greater chance of cracks and splits? I'm not an engineer but it would make sense if it were true.

if anything send those pos's back and make Rota replace them. sounds like a potentially serious defect. I know Rota sent a replacement to that guy that managed to rotate the spokes inside the barrels on a set he was using for drifting. It's worth an email at least.
I understand what you're saying, and oddly enough I am an Engineer. (At least, that's what I'm paid to do)

You're right, having an improperly balanced wheel is going to cause a lot of components, specifically the hubs, studs, an an assortment of suspension components to see stresses that are no where near 'ideal', but how detrimental is this? Only time will tell.

Odds are, at least from what I've seen first hand, the wheels being out of balance aren't going to cause any sort of dramatic failure (or at least when they're as out of balance as mine are) it's more of a prolonged 'wearing out' effect where anything that is already worn from the previous 230,000 miles of life is essentially given that last little bit to make it need to be replaced.

Considering how long I've had the wheels for (Now going on roughly 20k miles an 1.25 years) it's a bit late for me to ask for a replacement, and quite honestly, the balancing quirk doesn't bother me all that much. The wheels will cause a very specific vibration when driven at about 75mph-80mph and it slowly tapers off after about 10mph above that speed.

I've seen a bunch of cheap 'Asian' castings that have been X-Rayed, and they all show similar traits, specifically that there are either voids (porosity) or areas of varying density (can be a reflection on the metal composition or the casting process) and I'd imagine that the same is true for a lot of (most of) the cheap wheels out there.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
510_jøé

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
Rotas are one thing....XXRs is a whole another story.

what do you mean
Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #30
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rota makes some of Toyota's OEM rims so their quality has gone up. I plan on getting Rota P45r for my S13 build so I can finish all of the car's footwork this winter and won't mind bashing them while drifting. The rims currently on the car are impossible to balance so anything will be an improvement currently.

Next year, I will be buying Work Emotion CR Kais for my street/show/auto-x rims. I would rather not break a Work rim when I could buy 2 Rota rims for the price of one CR Kai.
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote