Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #121
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Have you guys ever had a problem with neighbors complaining about the smell when painting outside?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #122
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
Have you guys ever had a problem with neighbors complaining about the smell when painting outside?
Yes. Well, ive got cool neighbors who are just fucking amazed i do all my own shit. Painting the car was just about the coolest thing they have seen.

Suggest regular working hours during the week, and NOT during the weekend when the whole neighborhood has their houses open and walkin their dogs (year round for us in Cali)
Old 02-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #123
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
All of my neighbors are cool as hell.

This weekend is looking great as of today.

Weather is said to be nice and warm.

I think we're going to have car painted by Sunday afternoon...

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #124
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
mmmm
its getting warmer!!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #125
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Hot as fluckk today.

Update tomorrow!

Yay!

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #126
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What would you do about lighting using a portable canopy like that?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #127
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothon View Post
What would you do about lighting using a portable canopy like that?
If the daylight wasnt enough, then i would run shop lights along the side-rails. Those cheap $7 home depot ones all daisy chained with an extension cord.
Keepin it cheap of course.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #128
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
I need to ask something...

When spraying base/clear, do you sand inbetween the base and clear?
I thought you're supposed to follow up with clear shortly after the base without sanding it..

Someone on my local forum said base then sand 1k grit and THEN clear?..

Didn't make sense!
Enlighten me!

btw... weathers been acting up again, cold here once again.
taking my engine to the machinist!

ALSO:
When do you have to paint with the stencil?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #129
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

So many delays, but i'll finally have a real update this weekend.

Everything is ready...

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 03-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #130
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
badass, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #131
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i bought some Rage gold body filler.. didnt know evercoat had other fillers.. but ive used rage before on my s13 and I liked it, very easy to use.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #132
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OK I have a question for the experienced people.

My passenger side needs work (driver side is mint). There's like 3-4 sizable dents as seen in the pic (sorry it's not the greatest shot).

My first question is do I try and hammer them out from the inside first before trying filler?

Second question is there is a dent on the door where the black strip, how do i fix that? Filler? Will it turn out OK? Or should I just get another door?

Third I have some small dings in the roof. The dings are not creased. Should I fill those or try and hammer'em out first?

I'm going to start working on my car this month even if it kills me.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #133
babowc
Post Whore!

I'd try to bang em out first.
And what ever left over you have, fill em in.

You could also get a stud welder to pull dings and dents, but thats money.

Hammer ftw.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #134
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Heat it up and then try to push out the dent?

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #135
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
Heat it up and then try to push out the dent?
That's what I'm gonna try doing.

Come on 50 degree temps!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #136
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Heat guns are very inexpensive.

We bought ours for about $35-$40 at Home Depot.

No update with paint as of yet.

We took care of a lot more prepping over this entire weekend.

How well the car is prepped is the most important part of paint.

Gotta take our time...

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #137
usajdm
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
usajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond reputeusajdm has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok "exitspeed", and anyone else this may benefit.

-Hydraulic Porta Power-

sample pic

From $50 to $500 and worth every penny.
Its a hand-pumped hydraulic system with different attachments, from extending rams too lcamping jaws.
These things are rated in the "tons", so can manipulate body panels with ease.

Take your corner panel for example.
Instead of 100 hits from a body hammer, put this behind the panel and will slowly push the dent out.
Using a block of 2x4 will help distribute the force over the entire area.
For your roof dings, use the rubber ball add-on(see arrow) while applying pressure on the top of the roof.(special hint: a block of wood with a hole drilled out the size of the ding on the topside)

And now Im gonna release this for premies only......................................
If you get a PortaPower and want to stretch or flare your fenders?

Pipe welded to a cresent shape piece of metal with the same shaped piece of wood screwed the front.
You should get the picture.
Evenly pushed and flared fenders in about 10 minutes each............. with no body damage.

Last edited by usajdm; 03-10-2008 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: add-on
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #138
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Heat, pull, hammer - you are still gonna have to fill and sand the fuck out of it.

Body work is no joke. Ive got a stud welder, body hammers, an in-line air sander, and a DA sander just for stuff like that. All purchased way back when i was restoring a Ranchero.

Even with all that equipment, there will still be imperfections that you will need to use filler on, and sand down. And id suggest the Evercoat products for that.

Not trying to deter you, but ya need to know its alot of fucking work.

First thing is to strip the entire area down to the bare metal. And you will want to make sure you take care of the body work rather quickly so that no rust sets in. Oh, and thats also why i purchased POR-15 marine clean and metal ready cleaners. To make sure the bare metal is preped perfectly for primer/paint.

DO wish you were local, id let you have at all my equipment.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #139
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

^
Trust me, I wish I was local.

Harbor freight has to a two stage heat gun for $9.99. So I'll pick that up.

Should I pick up this from HF while I'm at it?

Or one like this.

I'm a pretty detail oriented person and real careful with stuff like this. I may not have ALL the tools, but if I can get the filler part down to a minimum with just a few tools that would be great.

I'll def. make sure I prep the metal before I paint.

I'll be using Marsglass for the filler since I have a gallon of it I purchased years ago.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #140
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
Should I pick up this from HF while I'm at it?
Yeah, ive got one of these sets myself. They come in real handy. Also a great help for fender rolling.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #141
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Then I'll pick that set up and the heat gun.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #142
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
That's what I'm gonna try doing.

Come on 50 degree temps!
Have you considered going widebody?

I mean, I'm totally against fiberglass(for the main fact that the slightest dip/accident can make your car look like shit), but going widebody would be a hell of a lot easier then hammering and pulling those dents out and trying to make everything even with filler.

Have you seen those pictures of the widebody coupe on stock front fenders and bumpers?

Edit: Here we go:

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #143
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

I have thought about it, but I was looking at doing more of a nice modest restore. I also don't want to cut my actual fenders and get all into that. I really like stock rear fenders pulled. But I have the filler and the time. So I'll try it out. If I find it's gonna look like complete garbage, then rear overs will be exactly what I'll do.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #144
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Gotta agree with the roll/pull.

This coupe is by far the best i've ever seen.

If he were to clean up the fenders with some filler and get some 180sx sideskirts.....

Cream in the pants.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #145
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

I might just skip trying to repair the door. Longrain on here has a nice door for that I can get cheap. I'll probably be better off that way.

It's champagne instead of white though. Would I take all the paint off before painting? Or is that color light enough I'd be ok painting it white?

What do you guys think?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #146
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

You should be okay as long as you sand it down.

You are laying down primer, right?

You might as well spray the inside of the door as well to match the rest of the car.

And make sure somebody helps you align the door.

Had to learn that the hard way.

Haha.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #147
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
You should be okay as long as you sand it down.

You are laying down primer, right?

You might as well spray the inside of the door as well to match the rest of the car.

And make sure somebody helps you align the door.

Had to learn that the hard way.

Haha.
I have to align the door, front bumper, and the passenger side fender.

I'm not looking forward to that actually.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #148
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

The fender and front bumper are actually pretty easy.

Front bumper, not by yourself. But, it's doable.

The door, Someone has to hold it up while you bolt it on.

After doing the door myself, i tried to close it...sat too low.

Then, pushed it all the way up, tried to close it...sat too high.

Fuck.

Haha.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #149
BoostinGST
Zilvia Addict

BoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant future
hey guys, i'll be venturing into this project next month as well, i already have everything i need except paint. i bought the resperator from TPC as listed in the OP last night, just wanted to let you guys know that starting tonight there is a sale for a respirator a lot cheaper. http://www.tool-sale.com/piece-respi...es-p-3201.html
i've bought some small stuff from these guys before and got it in a timely manner. not sure how well it is, but i know there are people that want the cheapest they can buy since most of the time its one time use. i myself would rather trust 3m for my health then a no-name respirator though.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #150
40daws
Zilvia Member

40daws is an unknown quantity at this point
Any one have a review or opinion about the Duplicolor Paint Shop System ?