Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
fukusdm01
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
fukusdm01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Sr20det cold start problems!! Dies when cold but fine when warm

My car has been having this problem for a while now and I still can't track down what it could be. It never holds idle from a cold start and just falls on its face and dies. I've replaced the IACV with a brand new oem one from frsport, replaced temp sensor, and maf sensor was replaced for a different problem recently. The only way to get my car to idle perfect is to either hold the throttle down for 5 min at ~3k rpm or just slowly drive it around the block. If I do drive it while its cold it will die occasionally. My car has always had some kind of idle issue in the past and was fixed with a new IACV, but it only just recently started doing this. Any help is appreciated on what it could be.
fukusdm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymorejdmgtom is not welcome here anymore
have you checked your spark plugs? or could be an ignition coil.
jdmgtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
DonBarrigas

DonBarrigas is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar issue a few yrs back. Turned out to be a cracked vacuum line. So I purchased a vacuum line kit for about 40 bucks, and replaced them all. Good luck.
DonBarrigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #4
squirrelsr

squirrelsr is a well-known jackass
check the fast idle control cam under the throttle body it could be becomming worn out the thermal element is old or it may be set wrong i could see it being set wrong from your iacv replacement you never re adjusted it and letting you get no air keeping the throttle body plate closed when it should be very slightly open even with the iacv and then when warmed up the cam lets the throttle plate operate like normal that is if its a black top vtc sr there should be 2 markings on it and a marker for it where you set one end for a cold start and the other when the car is operating temp this might not be a problem but just to rule it out since it idles right when warmed up and you already replaced iacv
squirrelsr is offline   Reply With Quote