Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
snow hawk
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
snow hawk is making a name for him/her selfsnow hawk is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quest Alternator Upgrade How-To!

Delete. I don't remember the drill bit size and I don't want anyone to goof up.

Last edited by snow hawk; 08-14-2017 at 12:50 AM..
snow hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
is this the same as the 90's quest?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
snow hawk
Leaky Injector

snow hawk is making a name for him/her selfsnow hawk is making a name for him/her self
I believe the early 90's quest was a 110 amp, but I'm not sure if it's the same setup. Should be I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nice write up! One thing I'll add, remember when working with manual belt tensioners to loosen the bolt that secures the accessory to the engine/bracket along with the lock nut and adjustment bolt. Shouldn't need a prybar then. Good work man!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
snow hawk
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Nice write up! One thing I'll add, remember when working with manual belt tensioners to loosen the bolt that secures the accessory to the engine/bracket along with the lock nut and adjustment bolt. Shouldn't need a prybar then. Good work man!

You're absolutely right. I couldn't get to mine (on the power steering pulley) so I skimped and used force lol.
Thanks man! Appreciate it! Hope it helps a few people!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #6
dreaMervaj
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
dreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Bumping this from the dead. I've done this once before and have forgotten trim step. Does the front or rear top area need to be trimmed? If I trim the front this will screw up the threads..?
dreaMervaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
https://forums.nicoclub.com/quest-al...t-t482959.html
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=350045

Hope this helps!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
dreaMervaj
Zilvia Addict

dreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-known
I have a KA. I've done this before just seeking confirmation which side of the bracket I need to trim. I suppose if I trim the front and mess up the thread I could just run a nut and bolt combo to secure the top bracket.

Last edited by dreaMervaj; 01-07-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Old 01-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I installed a quest alternator on my KADE and didn't need to trim any bracket. I left the bottom mount as-is, and loosened the bracket mount that bolts to the timing cover. Then I installed the alternator and tightened back down the bracket.

The factory belt was a little too short at first, but I finagled it on and has been fine ever since. The only thing I noticed was the threaded hole at the top of the alternator was different so I drilled it out a little bigger and used a nut and bolt to tighten down the adjustment piece.
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
dreaMervaj
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnEssEnnKAT View Post
I installed a quest alternator on my KADE and didn't need to trim any bracket. I left the bottom mount as-is, and loosened the bracket mount that bolts to the timing cover. Then I installed the alternator and tightened back down the bracket.

The factory belt was a little too short at first, but I finagled it on and has been fine ever since. The only thing I noticed was the threaded hole at the top of the alternator was different so I drilled it out a little bigger and used a nut and bolt to tighten down the adjustment piece.
I've had both model (110amp and 125amp) of the Quest/Villager alternator and the bottom bracket will fit BUT you have to enlarge the bolt holes. I'm surprised you didn't have to trim the top bracket!?!? I am going to attempt to install it without trimming here shortly. Thanks for the responses guys!

Last edited by dreaMervaj; 01-07-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Old 01-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
dreaMervaj
Zilvia Addict

I deleted all miscellaneous things off my intake manifold so I am unsure if it'll work on a stock intake manifold. I followed Ennes's tip and just loosen my alternator bracket, and slipped the alternator in. I did not need to trim the top bracket like I did before on my first car.

Hope this helps someone in the future
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I used a turnbuckle style tensioner from amazon and through bolted it. Made life easier
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote