Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Literally (broken) strut tower

so, I've had my s13 for about 10 years. many different engines and many millions of(feels like it) miles. pretty much changed all the suspension components with regular wear and tear times.

anywhoo to my surprise I looked under the hood one day and I seen this shit. yes I have those cheap ebay coils, but prior to this set my last set of these lasted me x2 years of SOME track and daily driving use.

Sadly these died in under a year so I was looking at the idea of getting some megans. anywhoo my ride was extra shittier than normal and I see this is WHY. now mind you the car still tracks straight and no pre-mature tire wear which is suprising.

now im not good at body work. I just got through finish fucking with the body welding on my pathfinder and I should had swapped out my .35 wire for .23. but of course I forgot, so couple it with thin ass metal, does it come out like shit???
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
well first I needed to clean up the area to weld. again im not a pro at this but I figured id give it a go. the idea was to cut some steel plates and weld over the cracked seams as close as possible. I do have professional 3m panel cement but where would one start with that?

well this is what I was able to do, then my welder feed took a shit on me. so I need a new torch and a drive wheel. can't be too mad it is a cheap eastwood welder that I've had for like 3 years so im not too peeved.

on the other hand it still looks like shit and now im at a loss on what to do?

well what do you zilvian body wizards recommend? im guessing I need another strut tower assembly
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ive seen them crack there before. just drill the ends of the cracks then weld them up.

seam welding the front end isn't a bad shout.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote