Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #1
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
OMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
omfgeofffff's red rocket

The season is basically over now here in Minnesota so now I have time to finally get started on a build thread. Earlier this year I sold my ?89 Nissan Laurel in favor to build up an RPS13 shell I had picked up. I loved the laurel and it was a super fun car but every time I drifted it I felt bad and didn?t want to destroy it(even more than I already had).
43581905_702066006833902_1457125323409616327_n by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
Let?s rewind a little to July of 2019. I was randomly browsing craigslist and found a sr20 motorset for sale for a pretty good price. It came with a bunch of ?goodies?(hybrid valve cover, 18g turbo, freddy IM/oil pan, powerFC, 1 piece driveshaft, blahblahblah) and couldn?t pass it up.
20190722_193006 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

The original plan was to put it in the laurel but being the dummy I am I was randomly browsing facebook marketplace and found a 180sx shell not terribly far from me. It was definitely rough around the edges and needed a lot of work, but that didn?t stop me from scooping it up(did I mention I?m a dummy yet?)
20190727_201242 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
20190728_141302 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_0591 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Over the winter I started to collect parts here and there and I started to dig into the SR a little bit. I popped the valve cover off and saw right away that 2 of the rocker arms had popped.
20190729_211204 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

No big deal as the extra parts alone was enough to offset the cost of what I paid for the engine. The head looked super clean so I decided I was going to try and salvage it and see what happens. If I?m going to pull the cams and whatnot why not get bigger cams? Voil?, JWT S4 cams showed up.
IMG_0105 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

As I was disassembling the valvetrain I found the source of why the rocker arms were popped. Whoever assembled the top end had put the guide shims on the opposite side of the rocker arms on the entire exhaust side and the guide shims actually snapped in half. Luckily I found the pieces after dropping the oil pans. Before reassembling I went ahead and did the dual guide conversion as well.
IMG_1145 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1146 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1183 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

I dropped the rear subframe for some much needed work. I?ve broken rear subframes on previous s13?s so this time around I wasn?t going to mess around and I bought and installed the gktech reinforcement kit. I am not a professional welder by any means but I was still proud of my work.
IMG_1168 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1175 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1190 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

While it was out I tossed in some Stance arms, pbm drop knuckles, pbm riser bushings, z32 calipers/drum parking brakes, 5 lug hubs and a Cusco 2-way differential.
IMG_1218 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

The front I wanted to go with a pretty basic setup of extended lca?s, pbm knuckles, ikeya formula tie rods, spl tension rods, nismo power brace and a relocated steering rack. Silk Road coilovers all the way around until I can afford some new Stance XR1?s.
IMG_20191122_153602 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
20190926_191505 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1063 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

I?ve been drifting for 5-6 years at this point and one thing I?ve always wanted was a tire machine. My buddy and I ended up finding and splitting the cost of a used coates machine.
IMG_0992 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

With the suspension basically done I started moving onto the wiring of the chassis. The shell came with a hacked up usdm body and engine bay harness. Originally I was going to make an entire custom harness but diving into it more I realized I was in over my head. Found a 180sx body harness on YAJ and had Streeter ship it on over for me. The engine bay had tubs installed already so I at least felt comfortable extending the bay harness and tucking the fuse boxes under the dash.
IMG_1078 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1059 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1101 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1433 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1426 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1461 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Installed an Odyssey battery and neat little box for it.
IMG_1253 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

I finished assembling the engine finally. Found some deals on a radium fuel rail and id1050x injectors.
IMG_1160 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1292 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

As far as the clutch goes my buddy gave me his old cusco super single that was slipping and I bought a rebuild kit for it. Local machine shop was able to resurface the flywheel and towers. Also since I?m keeping the sr trans I?m opting to install the clutch masters flow control valve to keep from destroying everything.
IMG_0556 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1227 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1068 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1480 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

I dealt with quite a few cooling issues with my laurel so this time I wanted to do everything right the first time. Incoming koyo n-flo, stance water pump pulley, gktech fan, blitz fmic and swirl pot.
IMG_1041 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_0803 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Started fitting up the exterior bit which consists of PS Duce aero, BN Sports hood, East Bear mirrors, Origin 30mm overfenders, and kouki tails. Overall everything fits great except for the bumper to hood gap. Oh well.
IMG_1404 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1310 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1324 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Dropped the engine in and wired it up using a wiring specialties harness and found out that the power fc was fried.
IMG_1521 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1482 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

As I waited for another pfc to come in the mail my buddies and I started prepping my car for paint. The color we(as a ?team?) decided to go with was a fire red pearl. Dropped a dumb amount of flake into the clear and overall didn?t turn out too bad for a last minute garage paintjob.
IMG_1543 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1542 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_1633 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
OMFGeofffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Beautiful car n sweet build
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Wow. That red is awesome.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

OMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really nice
omfgeofffff's red rocket

New pfc came in and to my surprise it started right up after only having to change maf and injector scaling settings! Ended up not finishing the car in time to drive Special Stage Central so I took a little break from the car after going hard on it for 2 months straight. Tune day was scheduled so checked for some boost leaks and went over the rest of the engine. The tune went great.
Adjustments Copy by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2062 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2105 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2119 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Only hiccup was having to remove a seized silencer in the used rs*r catback I bought. Sketchy craigslist sr20 managed to pull 308hp and 261ft/lbs at 17psi and shitty 91 fuel.
IMG_2124 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10sSoBRxSU

Got ?er aligned the same day and it was off to the first event for me of the year at Brainerd International Raceway later in the week.
IMG_2145 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2147 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Fun times with the homies.
IMG_2152 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2167 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2158 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2194 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saks9ag1GsA

First day the car felt great and was a rocketship compared to every other car I?ve owned.
IMG_2190 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2191 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2180 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
118781319_187863909418289_3919260298349494657_n by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Halfway through the weekend I noticed my steering felt really weird. The track is pretty well known to be bumpy and harsh on vehicles so I dealt with it. Finally after having the steering wheel ripped out of my hands too many times I inspected further and saw my crossmember bent to hell. My buddy that modded the crossmember said it looks fixable but I ended up just tossing in a factory subframe to finish out the year. Luckily my dad used to work on 3000gt/Stealths and made a nifty transmission hoist that came in handy.
IMG_2183 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2305 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2315 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2312 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Finally got some good street driving in and it felt great to be back behind the wheel of an ignorant car.
IMG_2369 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2524 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2458 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2501 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

I thought the year was over for me but a few friends and I got invited to drift at a private day at USAIR. If you know that track you very well know that you don?t pass on an opportunity like that. Got the invite 1-2 weeks beforehand so prep mode kicked in a few days before the event obviously.

Fixed a broken welded nut for the power brace inside the frame rail. Also my coilovers have a slotted top hole in the lower bracket so I had to rig something up so the mount can?t slide around.
IMG_2607 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2606 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Changed out the sketchy pinched turbo oil drain with an OEM hose.
IMG_2610 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2611 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Much better. Tinted the windows and off we went to Shawano, WI.
IMG_2630 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2597 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Unfortunately about 5 or 6 laps into the day I heard a weird pop and whistling noise at the very end of a run and instantly lost power. Was able to drive it back to pits and heard no weird noises. I figured I popped an intercooler coupler or something. Opened the hood and started grabbing the IC pipes and bam, the pipe connected to the turbo moved but it was moving the compressor housing with it. The shaft snapped and destroyed the compressor wheel. RIP turbo. I?m glad it happened now instead of the first event next year because I always told myself I was going to upgrade to a gt2871r or similar.
. IMG_2632 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

A few of the homies managed to snap some rad pics from the few runs I got.
IMG_2640 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2644 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2653 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_2646 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by OMFGeofffff; 10-26-2020 at 05:17 AM..
Old 10-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Beautiful car n sweet build

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Wow. That red is awesome.

Thank you!

Next up on the to-do list is get the d-max trunk wing and origin silver carbon fitted up and painted. I plan to do a candy red over the silver carbon to try and retain some of the carbon effect.

IMG_1812 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

IMG_1811 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

IMG_20191130_122050 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

No I don't have the Christmas tree set up yet it's just an old picture [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by OMFGeofffff; 10-26-2020 at 05:09 AM..
Old 10-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Rad car! Turbo failures are weird eh?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
Donedreamin

Trader Rating: (0)
Donedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This thread provides, thanks for sharing!
Donedreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
What a hard-hitting build thread. Good job!

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
excellent car looks excellent
PS Duce is SUCH a good aero choice.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Solid thread is solid
Old 10-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #11
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Damn this thing is hot!
Old 05-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #12
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

Spring update:

Last season ended with my turbo blowing up. I managed to scoop a GT2871r and a tube manifold from a couple buddies.

IMG_3468 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3002 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3469 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3470 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Decided while I was in there I should upgrade some bits. PBM cobra downpipe will be going in replacing the greddy outlet and downpipe. Also did not want to deal with blowing out turbo gaskets so I drilled out the manifold and turbine flanges to accept M10 hardware. OEM Fd3s hardware to be exact.

IMG_3239 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3646 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Had my buddy weld up an external wastegate flange.

IMG_3570 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3569 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3574 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

While the turbo was out I heat sleeved some bits.

IMG_3650 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Finally starting to reassemble everything and found out the manifold moved the turbo forward around an inch. Intake no longer fit, oil drain didn?t line up anymore and there was a gap to the downpipe. No bueno. Luckily my buddy gave me an oem manifold when he sold me the gt2871r so I opted to use that instead to minimize custom fab work.

IMG_3653 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

EWG mod

IMG_3690 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3692 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3693 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3697 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3718 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

A couple low priority projects I worked on while waiting on fab and parts. Created wheel storage, had AN bungs welded to catch can, started working on a panel to mount power distribution for auxiliary items(gauges, strobes, rgb led?s, etc.)

IMG_3633 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3571 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3895 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Finally got the turbo installed and since the dump pipe has more room for error I decided to take a stab at TIG welding it myself. I still need a lot more practice lol.

IMG_3721 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3734 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3736 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3732 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3733 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3723 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

The freddy oil pan that came installed on the engine when I bought leaked like a mofo. I wasn?t sure if maybe the rtv job I did was shit or if it was the actual pan that was junk. Didn?t want to deal with it again so I swooped a Greddy pan from rhdjapan. Cheaper and faster than anything I could?ve found stateside.

IMG_3634 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3748 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3755 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

She finally sees daylight for the first time this year. Took her out for a little spin with the boys.

IMG_3941 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3942 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_3955 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
2BDA3AC9-4C62-48ED-85EA-0642034E0329 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
AfterlightImage by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

My wedding is coming up and the want to be able to take pics with the car has been killing me not being able to drive it more. In the meantime I test fitted the used overfenders and wing I had picked up last year.

IMG_4063 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_4064 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

Luckily my teammate was having his car sprayed and he was nice enough to let me throw the wing in the booth. Turned out amazing.

IMG_4073 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_4074 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

I don?t remember what I was looking for but I noticed that my camber arms were hitting the frame rail and that the hardware was super loose. So happy I found it now instead of later. Check out the gap between the subframe and that eccentric lockout washer. The idiot that installed the arms(me) put them in backwards/upside down.

IMG_4060 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_4078 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_4080 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr

My homie hit me up a few days ago and wanted to snap a couple pics of the whip before it gets destroyed so here?s a couple bts shots.

IMG_4084 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_4088 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr
IMG_4093 by XtreManiaK, on Flickr