Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988montecarloss View Post
do the circled bolts come out from that side or are they captured in there somehow? tried to replace my steering shaft bushing with an aluminum one and felt like i was gonna break something lol, if not ill just go from the other side once i get my car all torn apart

image sharing
Those are in there somehow, remove the nuts.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #32
obscene
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
obscene is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988montecarloss View Post
do the circled bolts come out from that side or are they captured in there somehow? tried to replace my steering shaft bushing with an aluminum one and felt like i was gonna break something lol, if not ill just go from the other side once i get my car all torn apart

image sharing
I just did this last night. The circled bolts correspond to the pictured nuts. They are lock nuts so they're just a pain in the ass to loosen. Circled bolts are 13mm and the nuts are 12mm.
obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #33
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Took the first ride last night.
Went to the gas station, got some gas, checked under the hood and came home.

Noticed some weird noises, so I investigated them tonight. My driver side dust shield was rubbing on the rotor. Not sure how/why it moved, but it did. I bent it out of the way.

My power steering felt like garbage. Did some more bleeding, which made things much smoother, but there was still a terrible grinding noise. After some investigation the solid steering bushing was rubbing on the firewall. I refused to take my whole turbo side off, so I jammed a few screw drivers in there, hammered em in, wiggled em around, and nothing rubs anymore. I'll take it for another drive tomorrow night, and if everything feels good, i'll go get an alignment saturday morning.

New turbo sounds pretty cool, but definitely need some tuning. I assumed a similarly sized turbo my AFR's would be DECENT, but I was wrong. It'll be fine for cruising, for now. Hopefully next weekend I can talk travis into tuning.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #34
andisan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Pictures of those led tailights In the dark please

Looks clean and fun too
Old 04-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #35
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Not the best picture but you get the idea
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #36
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Been chillin. Finally got my turbo timer to work after 3 years of it chillin. Also, figured out why my wipers kept blowing fuses..

My homeboy snapped a few shots this past weekend chillin.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #37
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Got down with some dynamat this weekend, tryna keep things a bit quieter in the cab.

Friend of mine made me a full titanium hood prop. Its awesome.

Aside from that, been chillin.

For those asking for tail light shots:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #38
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
By quiet you mean you're trying to keep that torque monster from pulling a wheelie off the line. I gotcha.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a sick unique tilted smile intercooler. I even made a nice bracket for mine but it still throws a slanted smirk.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #39
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nice update, this car is really nice!! Hood prop is too cool haha I would buy one if he'd make some more!!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #40
blo0d
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blo0d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Nice update, this car is really nice!! Hood prop is too cool haha I would buy one if he'd make some more!!
this

msglnth
blo0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #41
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Caught a pretty bad case of low oil pressure...nothing detrimental, but I wasn't very happy. Figured i'd change the oil and see what happens, same results. So parked the car, and ordered a new oil pump and front cover, as well as a new oil pan. With a some welding and a little help wrenching from Travis, its back together.

Also, made it down to the greatest place on earth this weekend to hangout at ECB and consumed the greatest tacos on earth.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #42
tuzzio
Post Whore!

See you guys in the spring.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #43
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Do yourself a favor and build yourself a trapdoor oil pan. My KA died from oil moving away from the pickup under cornering.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #44
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Will do. Wish that the xcessive pan didn't sit 1/2" lower, otherwise i'd be all over it.

Any pictures of what you did poorman?

Also, pulled my engine/trans yesterday. Trans drain plug wasn't very thrilled.

Last edited by tuzzio; 10-19-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Old 10-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #45
obscene
Leaky Injector

obscene is an unknown quantity at this point
yee haww

Not having the upper radiator support is a game changer for pulling/installing engines
obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #46
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
how did that dynamat end up working for you?

cool build - subbed
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #47
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene View Post
yee haww

Not having the upper radiator support is a game changer for pulling/installing engines
For sure. I got another OEM one that wasn't fucked up and it will be BOLT in. Made life MUCH easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
how did that dynamat end up working for you?

cool build - subbed
Its hard to say. I mostly drive with the windows down which drastically makes things louder. However, with the windows up the car seems pretty quiet. However, everything fuckin rattles so I just turn the radio up anyways.

Stay tuned for some updates in the next few days/week.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #48
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
However, everything fuckin rattles so I just turn the radio up anyways.
But this is such a well put together/ quality build. Is this due to solid mounts?
I f'n hate the squeak, creeks and rattles in my s14. I assumed a LOW mileage or well built/restored s-chassis would be the answer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #49
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
But this is such a well put together/ quality build. Is this due to solid mounts?
Thanks for the kind words. All in all, 240's are shit buckets. S14's seem to have a bit more comfort than the 13's. And yeah, I'd ASSUME if I didn't have solid engine/trans/subframe bushings that things would be a bit more comforting. However, I didnt' build the car to drive in comfort.

Sacrifice comfort for style and speed.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #50
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post

Sacrifice comfort for style and speed.

Damn right!
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #51
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Welp, heres the big update.

As you can see, my lower radiator support was crooked. Really, fucking crooked. I always did my best to hide it very well, and now im sure you'll all good back and look at how my radiator support was bent, the brackets were angled etc. It always bothered me, and it was time to fix it. Unfortunately don't have pictures, but what Travis and I did was basically drill the spot welds and pull it forward and straight again. There was some yanno, hammering and cutting but it was good enough. I carfaxed the car, and its been in 2 front end collisions, so, No surprise here.

I also cut the spot welds out of the sheet metal behind the headlights. Considering my harness doesn't clip there and I don't have pop ups, all I had there was a few grounds and the stuff for my retrofit on them. All that stuff was bent and mangled too, so it was a good time to replace it.

I spent the last week doing tons of sanding, cutting, welding and test fitting. Made some replacement panels, bolted in the new upper support and mocked everything up.

Finally, today was the day. Travis came back and laid some fresh statutory grape.. This time, as a base/clear with some flake. The first time it was just a single stage urethane.

While I was in there, I filled in the stupid triangles where the harness used to run, and always get my bay filthy. Pretty awkward to tack in by yourself. I didn't go overboard making them look pretty cause they're rather hidden anyways.

In the mean time, Travis had also made me a aluminum distributor delete cover for my KA to replace my xcessive one that (i'm not going to name names....but) someone dropped and cracked by accident.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with how this turned out.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #52
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dam dude. That’s a nice looking bay! I really need to decide what ima do with my bay before I drop my ka-t in ... this is tits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #53
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
I really like the way the bay turned out with the removable Factory core support!! purlple looks dope too!

I dont drive my car when its wet (obviously when there is a freak storm, shit happens) because there is nothing behind the headlights to stop water from getting to the bay (filter and coil is back there). when time lets me, i might be using your design when i re-do my bay
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #54
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Just curious, how do you convert a KA on a dizzy to one with coilpacks? How do you handle the distributor assembly?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #55
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Just curious, how do you convert a KA on a dizzy to one with coilpacks? How do you handle the distributor assembly?
My AEM V2 standalone controls them. Basically wire them in, change some bullshit in the standalone.

It was a bit of a challenge to figure out the settings because all of the old threads on it were for AEM v1 which had a different lay out. However, if anybody needed the settings I could send my map and figure out the changes. Basically the distributor doesn't have a cap and acts more like a CAS (think SR) and tells the computer timing stuff.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #56
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I love that engine bay refresh! Looking good my man!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #57
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Just been poking around a bit, installing the bolt on stuff back into my bay and cleaning up some wiring, i'm sure we're all guilty of doing some ugly wiring that you can't see.

I tapped into the OEM wiring when I put my speedhut gauges in and it was a mess, but it worked. It was always a pain to get the cluster out because everything was hard wired in and I couldn't easily get to the plugs on the chassis harness to unplug the cluster sub harness. So, I pulled that out, gutted the wires I didn't need, added 2 plugs and made it a touch more tidy and easy to remove. The before/after:

Bruno approves.

I also wanted to clean up and gut my engine and trans harnesses. The engine harness was just a mess from adding in separate harnesses for the AEM IAT/MAP sensors and LS coils. I wanted it to be one nice and neat harness. Realistically it counts for nothing as the entire harness runs through the trans tunnel and you can't even see it when the engine is in place, but it was just a pain to work with. This will keep everything nice and neat. I'm probably going to get a 5 pin plug for the single wires by the connector for the power/ground to the coils, 2 wires for the wideband, and 1 for the fan trigger.

All thats left of the trans harness is starter, alternator, one plug for the speed sensor on the trans (because the plug for the reverse lights is wired into the chassis cause it never worked in the lower harness, and still didn't when I tested it today) and the plugs that go to the fuse box.

Scooped up these LI Customs radiator brackets, because now that my radiator will sit straight against the support they'll look nice.

Going to start tearing down the KA in the next week or so, three cheers for disappointment
Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #58
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hip hip...
Old 11-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #59
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector