Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #661
wiring specialties
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
wiring specialties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Drfftn The only issue you will come up on is the alternator, what harness do you plan on using?
wiring specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #662
drfftn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
drfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiring specialties View Post
Drfftn The only issue you will come up on is the alternator, what harness do you plan on using?
Trying to avoid spending 500$ on the ctsv acc. Would I be able to purchase the ctsv alternator to make it work? I won't be running ac if that helps at all. I wanted to use a wiring harness from WS, but I called the company a week or 2 or ago and explained that I was swapping a LS3 w/ TR6060. I got a reply from Yuri stating that yall don't make a harness at all. Seems like my only choice is to go through Chasebays as they offer the tr6060 trans choice.
drfftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #663
travon47
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
travon47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfftn View Post
Trying to avoid spending 500$ on the ctsv acc. Would I be able to purchase the ctsv alternator to make it work? I won't be running ac if that helps at all. I wanted to use a wiring harness from WS, but I called the company a week or 2 or ago and explained that I was swapping a LS3 w/ TR6060. I got a reply from Yuri stating that yall don't make a harness at all. Seems like my only choice is to go through Chasebays as they offer the tr6060 trans choice.
I am running the ctsv acc kit. I sent the alternator to mechman to have it changed to self exciting ($60 with return shipping) so you only need a power wire connected to it. also the p/s reservoir does not fit the hood so alittle cutting to the inner skeleton in one spot on the bottom side of the hood and you will be good.
travon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #664
drfftn
Zilvia Member

drfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by travon47 View Post
I am running the ctsv acc kit. I sent the alternator to mechman to have it changed to self exciting ($60 with return shipping) so you only need a power wire connected to it. also the p/s reservoir does not fit the hood so alittle cutting to the inner skeleton in one spot on the bottom side of the hood and you will be good.

Thanks bro for the info. I sold all the Gen 5 Camaro Acc and purchased the CTSV kit. Plan on just moving the reservoir over to the strut tower something similar to the Speed Academy LS3 swap. Purchased a wiring harness from Speartech
Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #665
240mclovin

240mclovin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Ok guys and gals. Post up any questions you have regarding a v8 motor swap into a 240sx,

Weights:
KA with Auto, Cat and accessories = 596 lbs.
LS1 w/ T56, headers, and accessories = 468 lbs

That's right folks. The iron block four cylinder is 128 pounds heavier than the aluminum LS1!

LT1: 300hp Iron block, aluminum head.

Ls1: 350hp/350tq All aluminum

Ls6: Corvette Zo6 engines. 2001 year ls6 385hp/tq

Ls6: Corvette Z06 engines. 2002 and up = 405hp/tq

Ls2: C6 corvette/Gto engine. 400hp/400tq Big difference in low end.

Ls7: C6 zo6 corvette engine. 500hp/tq dry sump oil system.

Trannys.

all L series motors can use the following.

T5 5 speed. (lighest of the bunch.) Only good to about 400hp.
T56 6 speed. Viper tranny. enough said. ls1, and lt1 t56 are different.
4l60e automatic. ehh.

ECU. All Lsx ecu modules are basically a stand alone, once you get the tuning software. ls1 edit, hp tuners, etc.

all this and it gets 30mpg on the fwy btw ftw imho lol

Anyways.
There is a ton of aftermarket parts for these motors, they are also easy to work on.
They also make a crap load of power. They are also really responsive to mods. Check it out.
a stock 2002 ls1 makes 350hp/350tq at the flywheel.
My motor only has:
Mild cam (thunder racing 224/224)
Comp cams dual valve springs. Required for any cam swap.
Comp racing titainium retainers. Recomended for high rpm shit.
Crom-moly pushrods. Recomended if using a big cam or high hp.
March underdrive (dampened) crank pulley
160 deg t stat (needed)
JTR Headers
Reflashed ecu
Aluminum belt tensioner
Aluminum ps pulley
Hinson cold air intake
Shock Drifting 3" exhaust

With only these minor mods the motor made.
444hp at the crank. and 444tq at the crank.

On the dyno i had over 320 rwtq at 2000rpm and that peaked to 388 rwtq around 6000rpm.
The power was also impressive. 212 rwhp at 1800 rpm. and 388 rwhp at 7200rpm.

Heres some pics.
Fresh off of craigs list.

Thats a shitload of aluminum

The intake manifolds are plastic for smoother runners, and virtually no heat transfer and heat soaking.

The cam is easy as hell to change.

T56 is about the size of a z32 tranny. 6 speeds. Uses atf instead of gear oil. hmm.

Headers.

The ls1 oiling system isnt the greatest for oil pickup. i reccomend a accusump oil system.

2 of the new valve springs, and ti retainers installed.

LS1 Into S14. as you can see it sits lower then the ka, an just as far back.

Tranny has same location.

hey i have a question long story short i ended up with these brackets and want to know if i can use the lm7 powersteering pump or if i have to buy the ls1 on with all the assessors or how can i do this using what i have and the lm7 stuff thanks !https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
240mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #666
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
turbo-2ns is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if anyone is interested in a gto oil pan me now, ended up going with an aftermarket pan so now no need for the stocker.
turbo-2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #667
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Gremo can only hope to improve
Quote:
Anyone know if I can use the accessories that came stock on my ls3 motor? Motor is out of a 2010 camaro ss. I saw motor trends and speed academy's ls3 s13 and they used ctsv accessories.
I'm in the middle of a ls3 swap in my s15 and my power plant is from a 2015 ss. I'm using what came on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Gremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #668
drfftn
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremo View Post
I'm in the middle of a ls3 swap in my s15 and my power plant is from a 2015 ss. I'm using what came on it.

The only thing with I believe 12+ (Camaro SS) they went electric power steering so you're going to need to purchase a power steering pump and bracket.

The accessories stick out pretty far on the camaro set up. I just sold everything I had and purchased the CTSV set up, way more space now.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #669
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
The only thing with I believe 12+ (Camaro SS) they went electric power steering so you're going to need to purchase a power steering pump and bracket.

The accessories stick out pretty far on the camaro set up. I just sold everything I had and purchased the CTSV set up, way more space now.
I might run a remote electric pump. Not sure yet.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #670
travon47
Leaky Injector

To those running a wiring specialties wiring harness and a CTS-V drive accessory kit (Part Number: 809-19299070 ), the alternator is a 3 wire setup that does not work with the f body style alternator plug. to get around this you can order a CTS-V 04-06 ctsv alternator (ACDelco 25766345) that runs a f body style regulator with the single wire plug (2 wire setup). This started charging right away for me after putting a 470ohm 1/2 watt resister in line right after the alternator plug on the harness. I tried the self exciting alternator from mechman with no success and would not recommend doing this after attempting. You can have them put in a fbody style regulator in your alternator you got with the drive accessory kit like a friend of mine did but for some reason Mechman will not do it for me and wont email me back when I offered to pay for it to be done after their modifications not working. But I would not recommend them as they have horrible customer service.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #671
flores.rudy22
Leaky Injector

flores.rudy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry for the question I know it's probably somewhere in these comments. But I have a 04 gto t56 what shifter would I use ? I know some Are to close to the radio. Does anyone have any suggestions. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flores.rudy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:44 AM   #672
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flores.rudy22 View Post
Sorry for the question I know it's probably somewhere in these comments. But I have a 04 gto t56 what shifter would I use ? I know some Are to close to the radio. Does anyone have any suggestions. ?

I think sikky makes a shifter that works for that trans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #673
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Mgw for the GTO works perfectly fine and one of my favorite shifters on the market. Or you could swap out the GTO Shifter Offset Lever for the Fbody one and you are set to use whatever Fbody shifter.....and then my answer would be MGW for tbe Fbody
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #674
flores.rudy22
Leaky Injector

I read something up on the shifter lever thought it was bs but I guess I was wrong. Funny thing is fbody shifter are like 150 bucks cheaper then a GTO one.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #675
flores.rudy22
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #676
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Yup the GTO Shifters are like $150-200 more than the Fbody. I got lucky and swapped out the offset lever with someone but if you needed to buy one here you go.

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/7328789.htm
Old 03-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #677
flores.rudy22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Yup the GTO Shifters are like $150-200 more than the Fbody. I got lucky and swapped out the offset lever with someone but if you needed to buy one here you go.

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/7328789.htm

Why does it say ..... does not fit GTO ? Lol

Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #678
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Its not a part thats "supposed" to be used on a GTO. Kind of how when you put 265/35r18 tires on the rear of an S14 most sites say "not applicable to your vehicle." Used this part on mine then installed an Fbody MGW Shifter....like a gem.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #679
flores.rudy22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Its not a part thats "supposed" to be used on a GTO. Kind of how when you put 265/35r18 tires on the rear of an S14 most sites say "not applicable to your vehicle." Used this part on mine then installed an Fbody MGW Shifter....like a gem.

Ok sounds good...[emoji1419]

Old 03-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #680
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Awesome man hope it saves you some cash and you buy a nice shifter...makes a big difference on these bastards.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #681
Beas
Zilvia Member

Beas is making a name for him/her selfBeas is making a name for him/her self
how is everybody venting the heads/crank case? I'm putting a catch can on now and redoing my system hoping to not have my dipstick popping up anymore. I'm seeing lots of different ways to set everything up, and its hard to tell what's best.
Beas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #682
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas View Post
how is everybody venting the heads/crank case? I'm putting a catch can on now and redoing my system hoping to not have my dipstick popping up anymore. I'm seeing lots of different ways to set everything up, and its hard to tell what's best.
I guess it depends on what motor you have and if it's boosted.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #683
travon47
Leaky Injector

Quote:
How high are you revving when it pops out? Did the ls6 valley cover you installed help at all? Your rings might be going out the door if its allowing that much pressure by the rings in N/a form.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #684
Beas
Zilvia Member

Beas is making a name for him/her selfBeas is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by travon47 View Post
How high are you revving when it pops out? Did the ls6 valley cover you installed help at all? Your rings might be going out the door if its allowing that much pressure by the rings in N/a form.
doesn't pop under normal around town driving, only while drifting and hitting rev limit. valley cover may have helped some, idk, but the dipstick still popped. 100k miles on lq9. had good compression when I installed it.
Beas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #685
travon47
Leaky Injector

Quote:
doesn't pop under normal around town driving, only while drifting and hitting rev limit. valley cover may have helped some, idk, but the dipstick still popped. 100k miles on lq9. had good compression when I installed it.
Do a leak down test, then you can see if air is getting past the rings and the % that is lost. Open your oil cap and if air is whistling from there it is your rings.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #686
flores.rudy22
Leaky Injector

Whats up everyone I have a question about my Ls1 ECU. How do I go about disabling the vats security system emissions skip shift all that good stuff or were can I send out to. Thanks in advance!!

Sorry for posting it twice.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #687
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flores.rudy22 View Post
Whats up everyone I have a question about my Ls1 ECU. How do I go about disabling the vats security system emissions skip shift all that good stuff or were can I send out to. Thanks in advance!!

Sorry for posting it twice.

I used hp tuners. If you don't want to purchase it maybe someone local has it and you can buy the credits needed.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #688
flores.rudy22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremo View Post
I used hp tuners. If you don't want to purchase it maybe someone local has it and you can buy the credits needed.

Ohh all right I'm going to look for a shop near me.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #689
illest545

illest545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you guys think maybe some people will start possibly swapping hemi crate engine into s chassis now, since a 392 or even 345 s13 would be awesome, but the dimensions might not fit so well but it'd be like an ls3 erod kit sort of. Thoughts on this?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
illest545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #690
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illest545 View Post
Do you guys think maybe some people will start possibly swapping hemi crate engine into s chassis now, since a 392 or even 345 s13 would be awesome, but the dimensions might not fit so well but it'd be like an ls3 erod kit sort of. Thoughts on this?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I'm sure someone will soon if not already. Not sure about fitment. Are they 90° v8s? Might be similar fitment to the ls.