Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Help Mazworx Develop the VQ Platform

Hey guys, I just wanted to open this thread to see what the community is wanting out of the VQ platform.

These engines are becoming cheap and abundant and we're trying to make the best parts possible for them.

So any part that you guys can think of from bolt-on to all out race tech let me hear 'em.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They sound like garbage in just about anything other than stock form.
Fix that
Old 05-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Kylepaschke
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (13)
Kylepaschke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Better intake plenum for boosted setups... you know... like on Dave's engine
Kylepaschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
slidewayz350
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
slidewayz350 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I would like to have the vqhr developed more. You can find a lot of this for the DE but not the HR. There is a market out there for them if you check all the forums because the HR guys feel left out.
slidewayz350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
An oil sump that doesn't hang below the crossmember on an S-chassis swap.

S-chassis swap headers that aren't mild steel and actually fit.

A proven coolant swirl pot design because they're a pain to bleed.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Guys thank you so much for all of the feedback, and just to clarify we want to develop parts for both Z chassis and swaps!

Last edited by hanzbrady; 05-02-2016 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: Grammar
hanzbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
2 more cylinders!
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdiversion View Post
2 more cylinders!
VK may have been talked about here and there
Old 05-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

I am in the process of the swap and it is not difficult just product support is low. I read about failed swaps all the time and people parting out started projects because they can't find the parts they need.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I am in the process of the swap and it is not difficult just product support is low. I read about failed swaps all the time and people parting out started projects because they can't find the parts they need.
Well, what chassis are you swapping in to and what parts do you have trouble finding?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Vk56de into 2004 g35. A flywheel that works with the stock crank pos trigger. I have the trans adapted to use the 56 bellhousing so the sensor is in the stock location. I need a 1 piece flywheel with trigger wheel for this. So I don't have to use a combo of the flexplate and vq flywheel.

A drive shaft for this engine placement with engine mounts so I don't have to have a custom driveshaft made for custom engine mounts.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Here on zilvia, I'm sure the only support requests you'll get are related to swaps. The HR engines are getting a LOT of development currently, they're a bit stronger and lend themselves to boost upgrades a lot better than the DE engines did. Edit: I'm probably thinking of the VHR, the HR was only around 2 years so I'd guess is getting over looked.

I've kicked around the idea of a VK56 in my G35 (it's got 200K+ miles and burning oil) but didn't find a whole lot of info. Admittedly, I've only done a quick cursory search to see if it was a viable option.

Looking at the trans swap thread, I might be interested in putting a CD0 trans in my S14 SR, but will wait and see how the shifter gets worked out, I don't want to cut the opening. Want the most stock like fitment possible.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
what a terrible engine, any V6

You get twice the head-ache, everything I dislike about a V config, with 2 less cylinders? Automatic fail

boo on mazworx

i want to see ls stuff. drop the sr, rb, and every v6 configuration

solve the steam port for daily driver swaps that want to run both front and backs like the OEM engine provides without making a mess.
Mazworx Instant Steam Port Kit $39.99
$12 in materials I bet, well made worth it solutions for engines also found in OEM vehicles, not just swaps, who also have the same problems.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
what a terrible engine, any V6

You get twice the head-ache, everything I dislike about a V config, with 2 less cylinders? Automatic fail

boo on mazworx

i want to see ls stuff. drop the sr, rb, and every v6 configuration

solve the steam port for daily driver swaps that want to run both front and backs like the OEM engine provides without making a mess.
Mazworx Instant Steam Port Kit $39.99
$12 in materials I bet, well made worth it solutions for engines also found in OEM vehicles, not just swaps, who also have the same problems.
We are actually working on LS development as well, but note taken about the steam ports!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

I am not sure where I saw it, maybe collins, but there is almost a complete swap kit for the ls1. Mounts, oil pan, driveshaft, and other needed items.

The ls is a great swap and huge potential.
What I know from reading and talking to v8 swap guys, they are hungry for vk items because they want to keep the brand. They want to stay nissan.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #16
Nismo_sam
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Nismo_sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would love Mazworx to start making some VQ parts, personally I love the VQ.
Nismo_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 PM   #17
600supersport
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
600supersport is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Maybe even just for mazworx to give the SR/KA an awd option from the infiniti setup with crossmember would be tempting.
600supersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:06 AM   #18
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I'd like to see a LSx style front facing intake manifold that isn't stupid short with the intake runners. Maybe S-chassis swap bracket that utilizes the s-chassis eng mounts, if it's possible.
NiSilS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #19
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Some headers for the HR that aren't a million dollars and that actually make power throughout the powerband!

NA HR guys like me need more engine parts
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #20
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
I'd like to see a LSx style front facing intake manifold that isn't stupid short with the intake runners. Maybe S-chassis swap bracket that utilizes the s-chassis eng mounts, if it's possible.
You do realize that you can't utilize one engine motor mounts on another motor. Even.if you use them. You need to adapt them, which is pointless cause you need na custom piece anyway then. So what's the point if you can make mounts instead.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #21
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You do realize that you can't utilize one engine motor mounts on another motor. Even.if you use them. You need to adapt them, which is pointless cause you need na custom piece anyway then. So what's the point if you can make mounts instead.
Plenty of JZ mounting kits uses stock ka/sr mounting points, so why not with a vq35? The point would be to make use of various options we have for engine mounts that's already out there for s13s/14s. Having options is always nice.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #22
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
Plenty of JZ mounting kits uses stock ka/sr mounting points, so why not with a vq35? The point would be to make use of various options we have for engine mounts that's already out there for s13s/14s. Having options is always nice.
I'm not even going to fully read your post until you think about what you just said. What shape or orientation is a 1j or 2j to an sr20 or ka24 vs a vq or vq.

Now before you hurt yourself. Think about where in the engine bay is the most ideal location for the engine and think good and hard.

Don't respond if you don't know cause your digging a hole that has been started by many before you.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #23
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I'm not even going to fully read your post until you think about what you just said. What shape or orientation is a 1j or 2j to an sr20 or ka24 vs a vq or vq.

Now before you hurt yourself. Think about where in the engine bay is the most ideal location for the engine and think good and hard.

Don't respond if you don't know cause your digging a hole that has been started by many before you.
Dude, I get it, but if it's possible then why not? If it can't done then great too. I could care less how you people cut it. You don't like it and some might. It's a idea, some ideas work, some won't. That's all it is right now, so get over yourself.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #24
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

It has nothing to do with what swaps I like or not. To each their own.

What we are talking about is the reason there are no adapted mounts and only full one piece mounts. Any inline engine swapped in the s13 or s14 or any other 90's Era platform is 20 years old.

I love inline engines. But all this shit was developed 10 years ago. So your re-inventing the wheel.

With the modern engines that people are swapping being a v style motor you can't use a huge bulky mount from an online engine. And then adapt it to a very engine. You buying mounts and an adaptor. Twice the money when you can buy one piece.

Also with one piece you can drop the engine as low as possible in the engine bay and as far back as possible for weight distribution.

I answered all your queations, reasons and future thoughts.

Using stock mounts to adapt and engine is pointless overpriced and under engineered.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #25
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
TT manifolds
Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #26
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

@quickdiversion

That's great, I'm glad you feel that way. If there's a reason for how it's done the way it is then it makes no difference really. No harm in reinventing the wheel, great things were made trying to better an existing product. OP wanted ideas so throw him the kitchen sink while we're at it.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #27
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

I have been in the 240/s13 game for 10 years in 2 countries. I have seen a great deal. And learned a real deal through different motors. I'm trying g to tell you why some things you won't see.

I know what the op asked for. I also know the op and mazworks are notorious for asking and never delivering. Giving delivery dates and never coming through with promises of parts and development.

Regardless how much we beg. The blow deadlines all time time and never really come through with each products they release.

So for them.
You need to keep it simple or you will sell you car before they even start development.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #28
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
A proven coolant swirl pot design because they're a pain to bleed.
This, such a pain in the ass to bleed the coolant in an s-schassis
Old 05-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #29
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Just out of curiosity.
Have you lifted the nose opened the bleeder as it reaches temp to bleed the pressure?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #30
Green Arrow
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is quickdiversion corbic? Vq has made wards 10 best engines list ten yrs in a row. There definitely needs to be more development on these. Mazworx ftw! Plus chasebays and mckinney have the market cornered with crappy parts (not so much on chasebays anymore)..
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote