Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Turb
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Turb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sr20det head cleanup

I've teachers this quit a bit, but everyone has a different opinion.
So I am changing my headgasket and have pulled the head to get resurfaced but the block I really wanted to avoid resurfacing. I'm using a metal headgasket so I know the surfaces have to be mint.

But what I wanted to know is what should I use to clean up excess gasket? I used a plastic scraper but it's about tapped out and there's still a lot of gasket left can I spray "gasket remover" directly onto the block? I just worry about it getting into passages. And I've heard bad things about 3m pads.

Thanks in advance.
Turb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
I use a razorblade and a ton of caution

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
A razor blade works great. I've also used a sanding block with fine sand paper, obviously taking precautions by stuffing rags into the cylinders to catch debris. They also make scotch brite pads that you can install in a drill to remove gasket material. Everything should be done using caution as stated above.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What scares the shit out of me is debris falling into the coolant and oil passages.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
A razor blade works great. I've also used a sanding block with fine sand paper, obviously taking precautions by stuffing rags into the cylinders to catch debris. They also make scotch brite pads that you can install in a drill to remove gasket material. Everything should be done using caution as stated above.
Although this *may* work it is not a very good idea, especially for a metal gasket application. Sanding blocks are flexible and not straight, and I would never go near a drill for a head gasket. Use brake clean and a NEW razor blade to clean gasket material.
Buy a mechanist straight edge, yes this is a specific straight edge, no a ruler/etc will not suffice.
Check with feeler gauges, IIRC in the .002 range. Check the head end to end on both sides and the middle, do the same width wise, then the same diagonally across the head to check for straightness.
Get yourself a nice thick piece of glass, I believe glass is usually very close to perfectly straight when manufactured. Set up the glass on a nice hard, flat, level surface and check the glass for straightness with the straight edge, adjust as necessary.
Head surface in RA from a machine shop is usually around 50RA or 150grit.
Adhere sand paper to your leveled glass and run the head back and forth

Cometic recommends 50RA or finer, and I'd assume most MHG manufacturers advise the same.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
A rigid sanding block does not flex. I should've specified what I used as to protect people from themselves. A block of steel machined flat with sandpaper adhered to it doesn't flex.
However, I've never had a headgasket issue with my method. Everything should be done in moderation. I don't expect one(atleast one with common sense) to go out with a flimsy knock down splatter sanding block.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
A rigid sanding block does not flex. I should've specified what I used as to protect people from themselves. A block of steel machined flat with sandpaper adhered to it doesn't flex.
However, I've never had a headgasket issue with my method. Everything should be done in moderation. I don't expect one(atleast one with common sense) to go out with a flimsy knock down splatter sanding block.
Yeah unfortunately in today's day and age, you really have to be very specific. If you can, ideally a piece of steal slightly larger than the size of the head would be easiest.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How do you prevent the 'shavings' from getting into the oil and coolant passages? I think that was a question the OP asked.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
scrape it all off carefully, then put a small wire brush attatchment onto a cordless drill, and lightly clean it up ( the drill doesn't spin super fast, so it is easier to use without gouging anything), it's kinda the same as what everyone says with the sandpaper and shit. If you do it, you must get a smaller finer wire brush and do it lightly. It makes it look very nice. definitely don't use a screwdriver or anything super solid when scraping the excess stuff off as it will gouge the soft aluminum

I suppose you could put a little piece of shop towel in the passages, just make sure it's big enough not to go in, buff everything else, then pull the little pieces and buff around the passages. that'll sorta help minimize the shit that gets in it
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I usually do the razor blade and blow out the passages...I have used the 3m rubber or plastic...I don't remember what they are made of...scrubbers then go over it with shop rag and brake clean or lacquer thinner and look carefully at everything to make sure is nice and clean...never any issues!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
I used a mirror and rubber cemented sandpaper to it and ran the head over it until I got a nice clean finish on the head.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't remember where I saw it, but I thought that someone used a 'rubber' type of drill attachment while polishing metal. It was initially used to remove surface rust because it isn't as 'tough' as a wire wheel.

Has anyone used this before or even know what I'm talking about? lol
Old 02-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
a Rolloc I think is the name...they also have sand paper but the rubber one is the one I have used
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #14
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
In car: plug passages with shop towels and use a shop vac while scraping.
Out of car: turn block sideways and use shop vac while scraping.
Don't use steel razor blades on an aluminum head. Use gasket remover and a carbide scraper. It's a square edge and less likely to shave the aluminum. Plastic razor blades are handy too.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #15
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Plug holes with paper towels, not old greasy used shop towels IMO

Razor blade and brake cleaner since 1998, use paper towels to wipe wipe wipe the brake cleaner away and check them for filth as you blade it up
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Do these look like old greasy rags idiot? I don't recall typing "stuff used greasy shit into an engine" anywhere. The difference between a shop towel and a paper towel is the absorbency and the fact that it doesn't tear apart as easily when it gets wet. A square edged carbide scraper will ALWAYS be better than a razor blade for removing gasket material. That's not even worth arguing about. Try one and find out.

mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote