Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #31
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvS14 View Post
not much. Search under my name about chassis stiffening foam.
hint: my write-up/information are not necessary solely in this forum. Use the interweb
Wasn't it the most searched/viewed article in regards to chassis foaming on the entire interweb? lol

You's a famous person haha
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #32
turbo_dreams
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
turbo_dreams is making a name for him/her selfturbo_dreams is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gots me a tig welder if you wanna do some stich welding drew.

www.tm-spl.com
Kouki's & some apple juice.
turbo_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #33
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
^ nice good investment deffinatly have to play around with that.

the foam seems to yeild the greatest gains
Chassis stiffening foam result - Part 1, qualitative result*56k no go*: 240SX Technical Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub

i think im going to try it. seems like what i need to fix my problems

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #34
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
^ nice good investment deffinatly have to play around with that.

the foam seems to yeild the greatest gains
Chassis stiffening foam result - Part 1, qualitative result*56k no go*: 240SX Technical Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub

i think im going to try it. seems like what i need to fix my problems

If I could urge you not to, you would save a car.

Pourous or not, once moisture goes either under the paint or rusts away a layer of metal "before" the foam, it just eats right past the foam on all sides. Heavily rusted metal breaks away in layers.

Remember your in NY, heating and expanding from winter days WILL displace the foam and cause you a rusty hellish nightmare.

tx/ca is a different story though
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #35
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah i agree with the dude above. I wouldnt use it, and stitch welding? If you got the time and patience than go for it. Best you can do is replace the stock bushings and get quality rucas and stuff. That should help a bit.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #36
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
i recently put in a C pillar brace in my S14, that really gives it a solid feel that it was lacking.
Tenchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #37
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Miracle X Bar... look it up.... works wonders for rear. do not get copies cause they suck
Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #38
Sti_Guy
BANNED

Sti_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
get a roll cage, walah stiff enough chasis.front/rear strut barsTHICK(fuck name brand, as long as they are BEEFY, it doesnt matter) suspension parts (tie rods etc.)poly bushings, megan coilovers are good.... Look at all the formula D drivers who use them. Just because it isnt name brand doesnt mean it Cant work just as good.
Sti_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #39
brunswick240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
brunswick240 is making a name for him/her selfbrunswick240 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brunswick240
floor board strut bar?
brunswick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #40
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
Quote:
i have a 97 s14, 120k on it. the car chassis wise feels loose as s*it. the car just doesnt feel solid anymore, going over bumps and uneven roads everything feels loose and sloopy. i live in nyc and the roads suck that and add coilovers i guess it finally took a tole on my frame.

so what can i do to possibly stiffen back up the car? i was going to start with checking over all the bolts that attach the front/rear subframe to the car. i have nismo mounts and spl collors. i was going to get spl diff bushings because when i let off the cluth the rear chatters, also if i shift hard form first to second ill get wheel hop then the tires just spin.

i was also thinking of a power brace for the front and possibly fender braces i heard that it does wonders..

any suggestions will help. i do not want to cage the car. so that is not an option.

thanks
Your car feels loose and sloppy because your bushings are all worn out. Replace your bushings with poly or spherical ones and then go from there. I'd recommend poly as you seem like one of those "daily driveability" types who would kill themselves if they had to sit in a bucket seat for more than 5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
not if you use the right stuff.

there are foams that don't hold moisture.
It's not the foam that holds moisture. It's the fact that the moisture can't escape because it's trapped by the foam so it eats away at the metal that's not protected cause that spot originally came from the factory as a place that wouldn't be exposed to moisture.

OP, if you foam your car you might as well call your insurance company the next day and have them total the car for you.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #41
xs240
BANNED

xs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Miracle X Bar... look it up.... works wonders for rear. do not get copies cause they suck
500 frickin dollars for bling bling jdm part. What the hell... its great, it works, but damn the price. It should be like 200 bux max.
xs240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #42
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
I don't see how it'd be possible to make a miracle cross bar for the S14 as the strut tower bars and the c pillars have a nice layer of sheet metal between them.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #43
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
i dont mind a stiff car, trust me im not the type to bi*ch if its too stiff..

anywho.. the foam is something i want to do but now this mositure issue worries me, what if i tried to spray inside the pillars first to add a layer between the foam and pillars?

this sucks i just orderd the foam spent $100 bux on this...

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #44
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The pillars should be fine, as I don't see why there would be moisture in your pillars.

Now rocker panels, yeah, I can see where the moisture would come from.

But to be honest, if you plug the holes after you foam your rocker panels, there shouldn't be water/moisture in there anyway.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #45
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
i dont mind a stiff car, trust me im not the type to bi*ch if its too stiff..

anywho.. the foam is something i want to do but now this mositure issue worries me, what if i tried to spray inside the pillars first to add a layer between the foam and pillars?

this sucks i just orderd the foam spent $100 bux on this...
Then why would you completely dismiss the idea of a rollcage? If you want stiff it's the only way to go.

Nissans are prone to rusting as it is. Sell that foam.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #46
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
God, my new car should be pretty stiff.

I wish I had a Miracle Cross Bar though.

Safety21 7 point
GT Spec tower bars, C pillar bar, trunk bar.
NAMS gacchirri bars

Probably going to add a couple other bars to the cage.

Shit yea
Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #47
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Yah I would cage the bish.... but still I would get raped in norcal for that by cops. Yes you can make miracle X bars.... But think about it, welding it with QUALITY metal not trash metal is very expensive.... If it flexes, its useless.....
Old 01-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #48
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

i cannot cage the car as of right now, as for funds is the main issue, when i do a cage i want it done right not a blot on cage, i got estimates of 1200+ for a good cage, so thats not in my buget right now..

as for getting a new car, i cant like i said funds are not their i wish i could afford a 350z but it would be slower then my s14 and not handle as well, not look as good.. blah blah blah

i'm taking my chances with the foam, my car doesn't see moisture i park it in my garage and take other transportation when its nasty outside..

i am looking into fender braces and what not. to help with the chassis stiffing, its so many choices its hard to decide what to get first. im going with power brace and fender brace, then rear arms and diff inserts. along with the poly foam it should help..

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #49
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
You guys, 240sx are made with DURASTEEL.

we don't need no stinkin cages.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #50
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
cages are the shit.

You can hold onto them.
Put stickers on them.
Look at them through the window.
etc.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #51
slider2828
Post Whore!

Not handle as well 350z? Are you smoking crack? Not as fast? Another hit on the crack pipe? Come on now.... 240s are not that good in handling when it comes to newer cars..
Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #52
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

im faster then a 350z i have several 350z that will account for this. stock for stock, no 240sx will not out handle a 350z, a modified 240sx will imo.

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 01-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #53
slider2828
Post Whore!

Dude are you freaking talking about drag racing or on the track.... Overall performance of a 350z > 240 that requires turning. lol
Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #54
xs240
BANNED

xs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
My 240 is faster than a 350z, m3, stock evo and many other cars hehehe Stock 240sx suck though. Fun beginner car but suck when you wana drive hard... track, daily, etc... You guys underestimate our cars... I guess there's a reason. Most people use 'drift' and 'jdm' parts to look baller rather than do their research to make the car stop, corner, grip, acelerate tractiveley better. It's not very hard, just people have made up ideas in their mind about our cars (being drift cars only for example).

For example look at how you guys said get polyurethane bushings, yet it's not actually a good idea to improve the car's overall flaws.

Also our cars are not as easy to drive as some cars out there, however that does NOT make them slower, just means you as a driver are slower. That is all.

I'll post track videos in the summer... then again there's plenty out there if you youtube/google for them.

Racepar1 on here can probably own most zilvian cars on track, yet all he has is a KA24DE. So could nikeyboy555... keeping up with turbo 911s, including a GT3 (still get owned in straight line but still catch up in corners thats impressive). He too has a stock KA24DE with boltons.

Check on youtube. This should all tell you something.
xs240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #55
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
bejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
and how do you know those gt3 are being driven right?
not saying those guys don't cause at least racepar1 i know does but... how do we know those gt3 and 911s and blah blah blah so on and on are being driven? it's not only the car it's the driver included...

again not telling them they can't do it, just take that factor into consideration
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
...this is zilvia; prepare to get your feelings hurt.
bejota180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #56
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post

It's not the foam that holds moisture. It's the fact that the moisture can't escape because it's trapped by the foam so it eats away at the metal that's not protected cause that spot originally came from the factory as a place that wouldn't be exposed to moisture.

OP, if you foam your car you might as well call your insurance company the next day and have them total the car for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post
Nissans are prone to rusting as it is. Sell that foam.
This is the truth
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #57
slider2828
Post Whore!

OMG people are just crazy... you guys are comparing to mostly stock 350z's... You are like comparing apples and oranges.... modified 350z vs. your modified bla.... come on please.... twin turbo 350s with a bunch of suspension your telling me you guys on the track can take it out? Please.....
Old 01-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #58
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
OMG people are just crazy... you guys are comparing to mostly stock 350z's... You are like comparing apples and oranges.... modified 350z vs. your modified bla.... come on please.... twin turbo 350s with a bunch of suspension your telling me you guys on the track can take it out? Please.....
Yes we are...
Old 01-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #59
blownmotor
Zilvia Junkie

blownmotor is on the path to ruinblownmotor is on the path to ruin
The S-Chassis was made until 2002. Our cars can still hold it's own against many others even till today. Doesn't that already mean something? Nissan kept that same suspension design for so long means they're either too lazy to change or they have something that was very well proven. Being that our cars are old doesn't mean it can't be competetie still. I think our cars are very easy to drive compared to others that rely mostly on traction control and yaw sensors and etc. We don't really have those luxuries. Probably ABS at best. Look at most modern sports cars on the market today. Lightest one would be what the MRS or S2000? Come on S2000 weigh about as mush if not more than our cars.

Get back to the subject, stitch welding the seams is good but puts a hard ride quality. Question is how far do YOU want to go as to making it stiffer. Chassis development take a long time and a lot of knowledge. If you get a chance, look up the OPERA S2000 build. It ran Tsukuba under a minute with a mostly stock engine.
blownmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #60
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
1)i cannot cage the car as of right now, as for funds is the main issue, when i do a cage i want it done right not a blot on cage, i got estimates of 1200+ for a good cage, so thats not in my buget right now..

2)i'm taking my chances with the foam, my car doesn't see moisture i park it in my garage and take other transportation when its nasty outside..
1) Nothing wrong with a bolt in cage if installed correctly. Save your money.
2) Congratulations, you've just contributed to the murder of what was a clean looking S14. Unless you vacuum seal it and never remove it then it will see moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs240 View Post
My 240 is faster than a 350z, m3, stock evo and many other cars hehehe Stock 240sx suck though. Fun beginner car but suck when you wana drive hard... track, daily, etc... You guys underestimate our cars... I guess there's a reason. Most people use 'drift' and 'jdm' parts to look baller rather than do their research to make the car stop, corner, grip, acelerate tractiveley better. It's not very hard, just people have made up ideas in their mind about our cars (being drift cars only for example).

For example look at how you guys said get polyurethane bushings, yet it's not actually a good idea to improve the car's overall flaws.

Also our cars are not as easy to drive as some cars out there, however that does NOT make them slower, just means you as a driver are slower. That is all.

I'll post track videos in the summer... then again there's plenty out there if you youtube/google for them.

Racepar1 on here can probably own most zilvian cars on track, yet all he has is a KA24DE. So could nikeyboy555... keeping up with turbo 911s, including a GT3 (still get owned in straight line but still catch up in corners thats impressive). He too has a stock KA24DE with boltons.

Check on youtube. This should all tell you something.
You've just lost all credibility.

How would there not be any improvements to the car's overall handling and feel by replacing 13 year old worn out bushings with poly or fuck, new OEM bushings?

S chassis cars are known in Japan to be sucker cars cause they really don't require any talent to drive. Turbo and RWD with MacPhereson strut front and multi link rear. How does a car like that take talent to be fast in?

I've run down Skyline GTSTs in my 550 Alto Works and I've run down Type R RA WRX Imprezas in my Civic. Doesn't mean anything. Dudes prolly let off.

Buy my Stillway shifter!