Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #511
niscur29
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
niscur29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I envy that welding setup. Thanks for posting up some shots of the sway bar. I don't need that much clearance, gto pan too, but I need more than stock. Might check the cefiro whiteline sway bar as its supposed to be in the middle.
niscur29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #512
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
@SIC...so glad you never ditched this project. I was scared it was done or taking the back burner. Started converting to the dark side and putting together a 5.3 turbo setup in LI as well.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #513
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've never come even close to abandoning the project. But saving up for the TIG and other things sure slowed things down. I thought long and hard about a turbo set up, before I decided to go NA. I've never had a car with >500 hp before though, so it'll be interesting ton see how long it takes me to get used to that much power. I have a funny feeling I may be looking for some boost at some point... I'm out in Northport, where in LI are you?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #514
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Good....I have read every single post from your build and I love every bit of detail. Yeah i was going to stay NA and then switch to boost but then added up the cash and going either direction was a few hundred dollars difference so I just jumped right into boost. I picked up my JunkYard motor for $500 after it was all said and done so going with a cheap turbo just made sense to me.

Yeah 500whp NA is no joke. It will take me a long time to get used to it coming from a 300hp SR build lol. I am going to take it very easy until I can respect the power. In Bay Shore usually work on my car at my uncles shop in Old Westbury.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #515
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
I've been slowly working on the fuel system. I currently have a huge magnafuel fuel pump, that will safely support a crap ton of horsepower, but is REALLY loud. I've never like the idea of running dual fuel pumps, and up until very recently you didn't have a lot of options. I like the idea of external because it's easy to replace, but then again it's REALLY loud:

http://youtu.be/nQu8L5aycp0

Like damn.

I'm hell bent on not using any rubber fuel line. And with all the alcohol in todays fuels that's probably a good idea. So PTFE lined fuel is really your only way to go then. PTFE is surprisingly hard to find in -10 and bigger still. Pegasus Racing has it ($27.20 per foot for -10, $34.75 for -12, $52.28 for -16; and that's with a price break for buying >5 ft!).

I stumbled upon these solid aluminum extruded coolers advertised as transmission coolers. They are advertised with a lot of different end fittings (but I'm pretty sure they all have NPT 3/4" female threads) and are in lengths of 12, 36, and 48 inches x 1.75".

The relatively flat section of floor on the S14 just happens to be about 50", and the frame rails are 2.25" deep towards the front, and 1.25" towards the rear (not tall enough, might require a little floor clearancing under the seat).

My giant fuel pump flows so much, that at lower rpm (street driving) the fuel will be repeatedly recycled through the engine compartment, so I thought the coolers would be good idea.

After seeing all of the havoc that the new alcoholic fuels are causing inside aluminum carburetors, I was concerned for a second about adding aluminum line to my fuel system, until I remembered that my fuel rails are aluminum. So no worries right?

I also have a pathological aversion to NPT fittings in fuel systems, and can't decide if I should just use NPT to AN adapters with these coolers or if I should weld on AN fittings?

What are yalls opinion on NPT fittings for fuel systems?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #516
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
NPT fittings are fine and probably a bit cheaper.
As for that cooler, I'm running that same one (from Speedway for like $15) as a PS cooler.
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #517
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
I've had a lot of trouble getting center of gravity heights. It seems that no one in the nissan world has ever gone through the bother of measuring. But I just heard the quoted CG height of the newish toyobaru GT86 wich has a "low center of gravity of 475mm".
FYI for those messing with their roll-couple calculations. But I think I can do better. We'll see.

That's 18.7"
I just read in the new C&D that the new Stingray and the Acura NSX-T are tied for the lowest measured CG at 17.5"

Real update coming soon.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #518
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Last week was a big step, in that I finally got my T56 rebuilt. Those are pricey SOBs! I bought a core T56 a LONG time ago. The guy I got it from had a 2002 Camaro SS, that wouldn't go into reverse. It was still under warranty, and his dealer swaped in a new trans and gave him back his old one. I pulled it apart, and the main shaft looked toast.

I finally got it over to Texas Drivetrain Performance, and Jason took care of it this past week. Sure enough the reverse gear/bearings went out and took out the mainshaft. Those reverse parts were surprisingly hard to come by, but Jason was able to use T6060/magnum reverse gear. He also said that my 5/6 gear was pretty worn, so that's new now too.

Some cool bits:
-He machines his own billet keys
-He machines his own bronze shift pads
-The GTOs and the 2006+ ZO6s got upgraded synchros, and The GTO mainshaft fits in my f-body case! My trans originally came with double synchros on gears 1-3, and single synchros on 4-6. The upgrade added an extra synchro to all gears, so now it has triple synchros on 1-3, and double synchros on 4-6. It's supposed to really speed up shifting above 6500 rpm.

3' Solid fuel line/cooler came in. It weighs 3# (about twice what good braided fuel line weighs).

I'd be moving on to the headers, but my brain has been infected with the idea of putting in a 350z diff, so I can use the upgraded axles. And I'm a little concerned that the pinion angle may change a bit, which of course would require shifting the engine/trans a bit.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #519
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
I'd be moving on to the headers, but my brain has been infected with the idea of putting in a 350z diff, so I can use the upgraded axles. And I'm a little concerned that the pinion angle may change a bit, which of course would require shifting the engine/trans a bit.
Stewart Leask has done this recently if you need assistance:

http://www.fabricatedmotorsports.com/?p=301a
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #520
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
Is this thing finished ??? What's up Dru
Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #521
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Had a baby last summer, and things have been crawling since then. I bought a header modeling kit, and have done some work with those. Also ordered a new 3D printer, and have some big ideas.

Here's a practice 3D scan I did of the engine bay.

http://youtu.be/3NwmQkApWv8

I made a v-band belt reduction to slow down my harborfreight 14" band saw, and ordered some custom band saw blades so that I could cleanly cut the stainless header tubes.

Trying to get the Try-Y headers equal length around the steering shaft is an exercise in pure frustration.

PS if you're looking into getting the ICE engine works header modeling kit, the basic kit is no where near enough pieces to model even a 4 cylinder full-length header.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #522
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

I moved back to California! Still messn with my bandsaw and the headers. Ordered a driveshaft. I was going to go CF until I got the below email:

This is what we have 1350 carbon fiber shaft 3.79” O.D. complete with Transmission yoke u-joints Aluminum 1350 flange and machine work on your companion flange total cost is $1314.09 plus tax and freight. According to my data supplied by my carbon fiber supplier the weight on the drive shaft alone with the ends bonded into the carbon tube no joints or other yokes attached it will way 6.7 Lbs. On the 3.5” O.D. Aluminum shaft total cost would be $760.14 plus tax and freight. And weighing out the same way it is 7 Lbs. give or take a few Oz.

Thank You

Jeff Gilroy

Inland Empire Drive Line Service Inc..
909-390-3030
Old 01-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #523
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
I thought this build was dead, great to see you still plugging away at it.

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #524
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Here's the old 1310 spicer flange adapter that I'm no longer using. You can also see where my Q45 pinion flange pilot hole was machined/enlarged.

Here's the new shaft, and flange adapter.

The new flange adapter was is a 1350 joint that was originally meant for C3 corvette axles.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #525
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

laextreme5 is an unknown quantity at this point
OOhh another person obsessed with getting the motor low and far back. Not enough people do this, makes a huge difference.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #526
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
WOW shocked to see this still going.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #527
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
WOW shocked to see this still going.
Hey guys, are these rear hubs ok to use?

Real update to follow.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #528
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
you and me are in it for the long haul looks like we've both been at it for 10+ years lol... just posted a rebuild thread my self

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=648710