Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Will a MSD ignition REALLY make any difference?

I can get a MSD ignition for pretty much free, but I am pretty skeptical that it will REALLY do anything. I talked to some guys that build racecars for a living and they were also pretty skeptical. I am running an internally stock n/a KADE with pretty much full bolt-ons. A while back I installed a MSD blaster2 coil, that I also got for free, and it seemed to make a small but noticeable difference. Maybe the ignition will help I guess, I'm just skeptical as hell about it. Has anyone ran one with any success?
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
bbejj123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
bbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well if ur getting it basically for free. You should try it out and let us know. I dont know if a lot of people would even think about spending that kinda money on an n/a KA ignition but id really like to know as well!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbejj123 View Post
well if ur getting it basically for free. You should try it out and let us know. I dont know if a lot of people would even think about spending that kinda money on an n/a KA ignition but id really like to know as well!
I just have to buy the right adapter to get the tach to work and probably another rev limit chip.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
JDMSTYLE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
JDMSTYLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
gives it better acceleration but it really doesnt really give the car anymore power.
JDMSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Has anyone ran one with any success?
Is this question directed at everyone or only those with "an internally stock n/a KADE with pretty much full bolt-ons"?
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Is this question directed at everyone or only those with "an internally stock n/a KADE with pretty much full bolt-ons"?
On a n/a engine with a modern ignition system, preferrably an import 4-cylinder. I know the MSD is a great upgrade on a dinosaur US v-8 engine with a dinosaur ignition system. I am basically looking to see if it makes a difference on a comparable motor to the one I have. A lot of people seem to use them, but a lot of people are morons. The fact that guys that build racecars don't think it would make any discernable difference really got me thinking. These guys have built and/or modified/maintained everything from vintage shelbys and camaros, to nascars and even campaigned a VERY successful trans am team (the purple ACS mustangs) and ran a speed GT corvette. I trust that they know what they are talking about. I'll probably try it and see how I like it, I am just looking for some input.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
veilside180sx
Zilvia Junkie

veilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to all
The Nissan ignition is pretty decent for what it is. I doubt you'll see noticable gains, but sometimes it will help eliminate some roughness.

Not worth the effort, even for free imo on a NA KA.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
dunno,

On a KA-T some guys say if they use the MSD it will reduce the dadnation (sp?) on high RPM 400whp+ engines...

N/A...i don't know...Try KA-T.org for more info
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
EDT007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
EDT007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali 556 View Post
dunno,

On a KA-T some guys say if they use the MSD it will reduce the dadnation (sp?) on high RPM 400whp+ engines...

On high-HP applications, it usually helps with spark blow-out. You reach a point where you can't run the gaps in the plugs any tighter and end up having to upgrade. Not sure if this info helps any but I say try it out and let us know. Goodluck!
EDT007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
RaceBred 17
Zilvia Member

RaceBred 17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Built in rev limiter dosnt hurt
RaceBred 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
jorge1190
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
jorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i had MSD on my KA and the rev limiter wont change unless cause i had the 8k pill and i still redlined stock
jorge1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTYLE View Post
gives it better acceleration but it really doesnt really give the car anymore power.

Do you really think you have any idea what you're talking about?

Anyways racepar1... on a NA car it wont show its colors. if u turbo the KA - maybe. The coil has already been upgraded - so i wouldnt expect too much from it

its free - so even if it doesnt work great - sell it to a vac adv v8 carb guy.

for the record "gives better acceleration = more power"

racepar1 knows more than you about everything, jdmstyle...

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
umsports
Zilvia.net Advertiser

umsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura about
I'm making 530whp on my stock S14 internal distributor (KA-T car not RB26). While I am an MSD dealer I would advise anyone considering spending money on such a replacement to stop because it is completely unnecessary. I've mentioned it a few times before on KA-T.org but just happened to notice this thread and hate to see people spend money where it isn't necessary.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
tckracker
Leaky Injector

tckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enough
I ended up getting one in a trade and ran it on my internally stock ka. You can definitely hear the exhaust note change and the throttle is a little "crisper" (for whatever thats worth), but what I did see is better fuel economy at the track (willow springs big & small track) When beating on the car at the track I was able to complete an additional run group before having to refuel. So, yet mostly unnecessary on street cars (though not bad) it is beneficial to those of us that see track days on occasion. Just my .02, its worth the install time.
-Shaun
tckracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
specialk2003
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
specialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of lightspecialk2003 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have an MSD SCI on my KADE N/A, and didn't really notice a difference at all except for I go through spark plugs like crazy. I replace them pretty much every oil change, or every other (depending on how hard I've been driving it). However, I did put down 145HP at 5000 ft. I don't have a dyno from before, but all I have are minor bolt-ons (intake, exhaust), I'm running E-85, and I'm using an S-AFC (the first one) to tune.
specialk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #16
NismoSilvia270R
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NismoSilvia270R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NismoSilvia270R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali 556 View Post
dunno,

detonation
NismoSilvia270R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
jspeedm
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
jspeedm is on the path to ruinjspeedm is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
you should see a noticeable increase in fuel economy (2-3mpg street, up to 5mpg highway) and slightly quicker throttle response. but thats about it, no real performance gains.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #18
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeedm View Post
you should see a noticeable increase in fuel economy (2-3mpg street, up to 5mpg highway) and slightly quicker throttle response. but thats about it, no real performance gains.
Wow does anybody know what they're talking about here?

Its like 2/3rds the power of the stock coil.

On a honda it actually created a rich a/f vs a stock coil setup.

KA24DE, using resistor wires...only gain is the placebo.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cleaner burn. The two or three sparks help with complete combustion. I'd say its more of an emissions thing or HIGH OUTPUT/COMPRESSION/FORCED INDUCTION engines ingnition system.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #20
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
I always wondered about this. You see a lot of the Honda boys using these.
Mangudai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #21
mxexux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
mxexux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
IMO I've only heard of people that know what they are doing upgrade their ignition as a necessity and not to gain anything from it. The necessity would be brought on by high comp, forced induction, alternative fuel, or anything that the stock ignition system was not designed to tolerate.
mxexux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #22
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
slothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've seen it done on an integra.... all it did was cause weird and random electrical issues... Though the kid who did the work did it for the under-hood eye candy.
slothonaleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
Like I said, the honda ignition outputs about 1/3rd more power than the MSD setup. There is apsolutely no advantage to using an external ignition system.

A 9 second civic is running stock ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxexux View Post
IMO I've only heard of people that know what they are doing upgrade their ignition as a necessity and not to gain anything from it. The necessity would be brought on by high comp, forced induction, alternative fuel, or anything that the stock ignition system was not designed to tolerate.
Those people dont know what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point2;36655407 - honda tech
When I installed my turbo I UNINSTALLED my MSD and sold it. I ran a 10.6:1 comp motor on 9+ PSI.
MSDs add an extra layer of unnecessary complexity and unreliability to the ignition system. I had nothing but problems with a few MSD products.
Wires - Only lasted a summer - they can't handle being taken off and put back on as often OEM wires can.. They're fragile a cheaply manufactured... just look at them!
Cap - MELTED TWO MSD caps in 1 summer. (between the post and the center).
Coil - Never had a problem. I believe they put a touch more juice than a stock Honda coil.
MSD Box - Personally seen many of them go in the trash can! Sold mine before it was my turn.

They even tell you how to wire up a backup!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedb20EH2;28259056 Honda-Tech
Just a note, people make more than 500whp on oem ignition systems. On 15 psi i took my msd out and went back to oem and i havent noticed a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostincoupe View Post
Run an OEM ignition setup.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. FYI, 600whp+ has been made on STOCK components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej8 View Post
All it does is make your car less reliable. I have seen way too many MSD related failures, and personally had a MSD coil go bad on me leaving me stranded. Even if I ever needed to upgrade I would not use MSD, other than their sparkplug wires.
The OE honda ignitions systems are VERY accurate, VERY reliable and plenty for 99% of setups
This was all taken from the FI forum @ HT

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...t=ignition+msd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerking3000 View Post
its been proven the stock ignition equipment is good for tons of power, i would just use stock stuff and sell the msd and use the money for tuning lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black DC2 View Post
i have seen well over 600 hp on stock ignition and stock head no pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaeg8 View Post
stock.. msd ignition left me stranded one time
I'd save the trouble and sell the ignition, keep everything stock. Less trouble down the road

Last edited by Bigsyke; 01-18-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #24
jspeedm
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
jspeedm is on the path to ruinjspeedm is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post

Does anybody know what they're talking about here?

for na engines you don't need more power from the coil. you just need enough to jump the gap on the plug. you need more power when you run high comp or turbo engines because the air becomes more dense.

the msd (multiple spark discharge)ignition fires multiple sparks. they make the air fuel mixture burn more completely. by doing this, the short term fuel trim will not fluctuate as much. with more steady fuel trim comes better fuel economy.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #25
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
bump from the dead...

would a msd blaster coil help me out?

I have a ka24de-t pathfinder with

-264 cams
-xessive intake manifold
-450wally pump
-full 3" exhaust
-holset hx35
-1kcc bosch ev14 injectors ready to go in(running 370cc injectors now)

-Nismotronics ecu

-Arp main, head, rod bolt studs

-cometic mls

-decked refreshed head

-.10 over cast piston rebuilt bottom end

-4 bar map sensor
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #26
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
We can't bring in Honda's into this argument, because:

1. Even though most Honda motors worth modifying with use an internal coil, the OEM Honda ignition system is VERY efficient for all intents and purposes, even with a turbo the OEM ignition system on the B series or later motor can handle the power. I've worked on a few Honda's that have had MSD 6A-Ls and the Blaster coils and they did jack shit, and in some cases made shit worse. Maybe upgrading to individual coils (even then use OEM Honda coils) but it's still barely an upgrade on a Honda motor.

2. Most of the Honda fanbois with MSD in their car don't know what they're doing, or installed it for the street cred for having another expensive part to show off in their engine bay.

Now as far as OEM Nissan vs. MSD igniton, I can't say much. But I do remember it supposedly helps clean out the powerband as it is a "Multiple Spark Discharge" ignition system.

I would like to see REAL data on this as I myself have thought about this on my Nissan, but that's mostly becasuse my SR20DE (yes, it's a NON turbo SR) uses an external coil and if/when it shits the bed I'd like to actually buy a new coil and not have to junkyard dive for a replacement. I fear that a new Nissan ignition coil might be hard to come by, and that's assuming my coil is the same as a KA24DE coil.
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote