Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
wadhah

Trader Rating: (0)
wadhah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S chassis height for drifitng

hey guys , im kinda new to the s chassis got my first s13 and im building a drift car

ive noticed that most professional s chassis drift cars have their front end higher than the rear ( FD , D1 ) is there a reason for that in regards to handling or its done simply for clearnece when having crazy amounts of angle?

Thanks
wadhah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13s come from the factory with a noticeably larger front gap than the rear. If you maintain stock height with the proper coil setup (konis + ground controls are said to be the best), you'll have a fully functioning suspension. People lower their cars for looks more than anything. If you want maximum performance, replace your shocks / struts and keep your stock height. If you do lower your car, you should invest in adjustable suspension pieces to correct for having a lower roll center.

http://zilvia.net/f/archive-faqs/270...-assembly.html
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
MotoIQ did a fabulous write up on suspension and handling setups. Its long and very useful. Most people (who actually drive competitively) won't talk to you about setups if you never read this. This guide also answers any questions you might have.

The Ultimate Guide to Suspension & Handling
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
The reverse rake you see is to allow the front suspension's geometry to be correct.

But suspension is driver preference I guess. Do what works(for you and your budget) whether it's lowering springs or fully adjustable coilovers and links.

http://milktea-man.com
KevinEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
Learn how to drift a completely stock car and build as your experience goes up.
That is the only way to keep performance in line with skill.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
Learn how to drift a completely stock car and build as your experience goes up.
That is the only way to keep performance in line with skill.
What if stock entails having an open diff and an auto trans with a stock KA? I think at the very least a VLSD is in order. Having the open diff dump on you mid-drift isn't any fun.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
I learned to drift on an open diff. but yes a vlsd would be recommended.

If your trying to drift an auto your just dumb.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get on the floor, walk the dinosaur.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
drifted my auto with welded diff stock ka just fine power over and steer
but thats just because im waiting for my 5 speed parts to come in
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
wadhah

Trader Rating: (0)
wadhah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
s13s come from the factory with a noticeably larger front gap than the rear. If you maintain stock height with the proper coil setup (konis + ground controls are said to be the best), you'll have a fully functioning suspension. People lower their cars for looks more than anything. If you want maximum performance, replace your shocks / struts and keep your stock height. If you do lower your car, you should invest in adjustable suspension pieces to correct for having a lower roll center.

http://zilvia.net/f/archive-faqs/270...-assembly.html
thanks guy!

i complitely get the rollcenter , suspensions geometry , bump steer etc this is my second drift car , besically i have all PBM stuff on car, i was just to know why most s chasis drift cars are heigher at the front than rear, thats all
wadhah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
drifted my auto with welded diff stock ka just fine power over and steer
but thats just because im waiting for my 5 speed parts to come in

Manhandle into slide then mash pedal to the floor. =D That's how i do it in slushbox open anything. It sucks. Very limiting in HOW you slide. You can slide and link. It's good for a driver. Teaches you how to shift weight and use the handbrake to control your entry. Teaches you how to go in FASTER than you think you should go. Teaches you to not lift. Good stuff. Heaps of fun!. If you really want to go sideways, the only thing stopping you should be a lack of a car, not lack of setup.

Try to tuck rim and then get an alignment. Go drifting.

Try to barely tuck tire on the same setup and get an alignment again. Go drifting.

Try to wheel gap a SMIDGE or rake either direction and you guessed it! Go drifting.

See what feels better and more manageable to you and you'll have your answer. I can't give you MY answer. You may not like to drive how i like to drive. There is no 'standard' setup really. Do some more reading and go tune your car one shakedown at a time until you are happy with it. Sorry. Probably not what you wanted to hear but it's what you need to hear.

Oh, read this thread too: http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/296725...on-thread.html

Might take a while to read every page (which i suggest) but there is ALOT of info in here that can help.