Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Xektrix

Trader Rating: (0)
Xektrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 S14 wide body without rivets and flush?

Ok I don't have a 240sx yet, but I do plan on getting one in the very near future (hopefully I can find a decent one once I have all the funds). But in the meantime I have been trying to figure out what mods I plan on doing. I'm trying to think of exterior and interior mods first, because I will probably stick with the ka for a while. I want to rebuild it, but I still want the ka for learning.

But that gets me to this question. Is there a wide body kit out there that does not have to be riveted? I really hate the look of the rivets, it doesn't look good in my opinion. Same with the obvious edge of the fender kit itself.

What I want to do is put it on so there are zero rivets, and make it flush with the body. Do they make something like this? Because I can't find any that don't have rivets and/or flush with the car body. I've thought about putting bondo on the edges of the kit so that I can possibly make my own incline to match up the surfaces. Would that work, or is it optimistic?

Basically what I want is for it to look somewhat OEM, just wide body. So to the untrained eye, people wouldn't even think twice if it was aftermarket or not. Because I love the idea of wide body, but I really hate the tacky (IMO) rivets and uneven body surfaces. It looks unfinished to me.
Xektrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Yeah it's called $1,000's in paint and body work. What you are wanting to do is a molded body kit. This takes skill and proper materials. No, bondo will not do.

You will have to cut and re-weld the arches. Properly seal them from moisture. Prep the body surface where you will bond the FRP panel to the OEM metal. You will need panel bond, short strand fiberglass fillers, a good quality light weight filler, full set of sanding blocks, various grit sand papers, and a good amount of experience.
Then add your primers and paint.

Also you will want to start with a good quality over fender like charge speed which run $650 or so.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
vertex ridge /thread
http://www.vertex-usa.com/catalog/RI...DY-SYSTEM.html

roughly $3k for the kit, plus shipping, plus labor/install.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
Xektrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Yeah it's called $1,000's in paint and body work. What you are wanting to do is a molded body kit. This takes skill and proper materials. No, bondo will not do.

You will have to cut and re-weld the arches. Properly seal them from moisture. Prep the body surface where you will bond the FRP panel to the OEM metal. You will need panel bond, short strand fiberglass fillers, a good quality light weight filler, full set of sanding blocks, various grit sand papers, and a good amount of experience.
Then add your primers and paint.

Also you will want to start with a good quality over fender like charge speed which run $650 or so.
Hey thanks for the response, that's interesting. And kinda sucks. I'd probably just stick with the oem look if it's that labor intensive. Because I would like to do the work on it myself, but I am not anywhere close to being able to do that. I honestly know nothing about body work, so I was hoping it was going to be simpler. Because I don't want to try it and end up ruining a perfectly good chassis.

If I ever do plan on trying anything like that, I'd probably try it on a junk chassis or work in a body shop. Thanks for the reply tho, are you experienced with that kinda thing? Because I can't really find much information online about this topic. Maybe I'm not searching the right thing, or not hard enough.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
I've done my fair share of body work/fiberglass repair and I would be a bit hesitant to do it without professional guidance....which I have been fortunate enough to find.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Xektrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
vertex ridge /thread

roughly $3k for the kit, plus shipping, plus labor/install.
Dang, that's an expensive body kit lol!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
Xektrix

Quote:
I've done my fair share of body work/fiberglass repair and I would be a bit hesitant to do it without professional guidance....which I have been fortunate enough to find.
Yeah it'd be nice if I knew someone that could really teach me, because I can only learn so much from books and research. I'm a hands-on person, and I usually fail pretty bad at first but I'm pretty quick to learn what is right and what is wrong. Maybe if I find someone in the future lol
Old 02-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The rear on the s14 should accept a 10 inch wide wheel with a low offset and just a roll. How wide do you want to go?
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
No need for over fenders for what you want. 18x11 with 295 fits in rear on stock body...
Old 02-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xektrix View Post
Hey thanks for the response, that's interesting. And kinda sucks. I'd probably just stick with the oem look if it's that labor intensive. Because I would like to do the work on it myself, but I am not anywhere close to being able to do that. I honestly know nothing about body work, so I was hoping it was going to be simpler. Because I don't want to try it and end up ruining a perfectly good chassis.

If I ever do plan on trying anything like that, I'd probably try it on a junk chassis or work in a body shop. Thanks for the reply tho, are you experienced with that kinda thing? Because I can't really find much information online about this topic. Maybe I'm not searching the right thing, or not hard enough.

Like KAT-PWR said, molding a body kit properly to car will take a lot of time, money, and skill. I would not recomend someone to do it that has zero experience with body work, or even some experience with body work.

Bottom line is, you are not going to be able to do the work yourself and have it not come out like crap. Most (if not all) kits need to be fitted properly out of the box.

I know starting out you want to do most of the work on your own car. I know the feels, but somethings (like body work) I would just let someone that has the experience do it. Good luck on the S14!
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
spray2020
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
spray2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Molding on the over's isn't hard, as long as you have patience and can sand you can do it with time. Take a look at this build, page 6 and 7, you will see one technique used- however it can be done in different ways:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=447170&page=6
Old 02-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Slide show mounting turbo fenders on a 911, same concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nJ8l5ErxQM
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spray2020 View Post
Molding on the over's isn't hard, as long as you have patience and can sand you can do it with time. Take a look at this build, page 6 and 7, you will see one technique used- however it can be done in different ways:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=447170&page=6
Just have to take a moment to laugh. That thread shows a COUPLE of pictures of a PROFESSIONAL body shop molding on overs. It's not 'that hard" but it is hard to make a panel fit well, be durable, and be straight for paint. That thread doesn't even mention a single material used or a single step.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
spray2020
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
spray2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Just have to take a moment to laugh. That thread shows a COUPLE of pictures of a PROFESSIONAL body shop molding on overs. It's not 'that hard" but it is hard to make a panel fit well, be durable, and be straight for paint. That thread doesn't even mention a single material used or a single step.
Just because that shows a professional shop is doing it, doesn't mean you cant do it yourself. There is descriptions for many of the photos as well, that explains the steps. Cutting the oe quarters, bonding them together to seal for moisture, mechanically bond the overs to the quarter panel, use a wheel to check fitment/ stance, glass the overs to the edge, then fill and feather, and guide coat and block sand.

Making a poor fitting panel fit well, yes I agree - its a pain in the ass. But if you start with a decent fitting panel then the rest should be fairly straight forward. Pinholes and waves, can be difficult to remove- but most paint shops can help with that.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #15
RPS13-604
Zilvia Junkie

RPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really nice
i had my fenders molded on it looks really clean but the down fall i had was the body kept on flexing and cracked the paint on the overs. Look in the wheel fitment thread i posted some pictures of it in there. But be prepared to spend $$$ like KAT- PWR said the fender needs to be cut, welded, sealed properly. I also had the the gap between the overfenders and cut metal completly sealed so it looks OEM when you look under it.
RPS13-604 is offline   Reply With Quote