Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
ExtraGoodness

Trader Rating: (0)
ExtraGoodness is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weak SR?

dropped a redtop on my s14 about 2 1/2 months ago and it was running kinda alright. started practicing drifting and whatnot about a month ago. last night i went to an empty parking lot to practice donuts for the first time around a light pole. i was trying to get my tires to spin out but all the car was doing was revving super high even when i kicked the clutch a bunch of times. i tried in 1st and 2nd gear and the same shit happened. then i tried to see if i could do a burnout. revved to 5k, let the clutch go, slammed the breaks and the car started to slowly give in and revved down til i shut off. could it be a bad clutch (didnt check before dropping it in -__-), boost leak that im sure i have, or something else? car isnt tuned either. oh an i can drift corners normally kicking the clutch. seems to work that way but cant do donuts or burnouts... ive searched and couldnt find anyone with similar problems. please help!
ExtraGoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Sounds like a dead clutch.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dickhead comment : dude it's a SR.. what do you expect.

Helpful comment : Sounds like you burned the clutch up. If you are sure you have a boost leak, I recommend going over your car and fixing everything before throwing it in the ring.

maybe it's your differential? you said you can drift but not do burnouts. do you have the VLSD? maybe the liquid is getting hot and it's not "locking" up.

OR...maybe just stop being a parking lot drifter and fix your car and use parts that can handle the abuse.

Last edited by OrangeVirus1; 05-15-2013 at 11:04 AM..
OrangeVirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
^^Yep- clutch definitely sounds like it's about kaput. Boost leak will deff cause lack of power, as will shitty gas and shitty plugs; and a number of other things.

Easiest thing to tackle/fix is boost leaks. Get them under control then go from there... You may just luck out.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Well, considering he re-used the same clutch that was with the engine...I'm pretty sure its the clutch. Why you even thought its a good idea to use the old clutch in it to begin with is beyond me.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Jumping on the clutch band wagon here.

That is something you should always check before doing a swap, especially a motor like the sr everyone beats the snot out of them.

**I'll still put my SR up against most other motors with the same power level
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i personally wouldn't have put a redtop in an s14.. regardless it could the clutch. if you just swapped the motor in there and decided to go drifting your motor will only last so long... id get a new clutch, fuel pump and do some fluid changes.i mean shit its a good motor but every 20 year old motor will need some maintenance somehow. especially if its been sitting in a clip for god know how long.
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
godsmack
Zilvia Addict

godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
I have yet to have a bad clutch and be able to kill the car by trying to burnout. Usually if the clutch is gone it will slip like crazy and you will be able to rev the car. I'm going to go with the boost leak since you can slide while driving but not burn out.
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsmack View Post
I have yet to have a bad clutch and be able to kill the car by trying to burnout. Usually if the clutch is gone it will slip like crazy and you will be able to rev the car. I'm going to go with the boost leak since you can slide while driving but not burn out.
point made do you have an lsd in this thing? open diffs suck ass at burning rubber. could be a boost leak or something wrong with your turbo? when my turbo seized i felt like my car sucked ass
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
How does the car run normally without beating on it? What "maintainance" procedures were done prior to firing up the car? Did you check base timing? If so, was it at 15* BTDC? Change plugs? What's the gap if you did? Upgrade fuel pump/Z32 filter?

There is a laundry list of things that should be checked over before you go out beating the piss out of your junkyard motor. Protect your investment and make sure it's running up to par next time. It sounds like you're getting very little boost, if any, which indicates a few problems.

Do a boost leak test and fix those problems. Then regular maintainance items. A piss poor running car isn't going to give you the performance you need to slide, let alone any performance what so ever.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
ExtraGoodness

clarifications- car has an open diff, isis dmic, walbro pump, 3 inch straight pipe with empty cat and splits to dual 4 inch tips at the end (isis). where do most boost leaks occur?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
ExtraGoodness

i can hear my car spool really loud with this super loud hiss every time. its my first turbo motor so i dont really know what its supposed to really sound like or how it should behave.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraGoodness View Post
where do most boost leaks occur?
Intercooler couplers are a major one. Also check the welds on your IC pipes (for where the vac line connects on the cold side).. mine was leaking through the welds.

Make yourself a boost leak tester and see where your leaking from.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
ExtraGoodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Intercooler couplers are a major one. Also check the welds on your IC pipes (for where the vac line connects on the cold side).. mine was leaking through the welds.

Make yourself a boost leak tester and see where your leaking from.
alright cool. im gonna buy the parts from home depot or something this weekend. thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Is your turbo loose by any chance on the manifold? Sounds like you may have an exhaust leak as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraGoodness View Post
clarifications- car has an open diff, isis dmic, walbro pump, 3 inch straight pipe with empty cat and splits to dual 4 inch tips at the end (isis). where do most boost leaks occur?
weld that diff! xD or get a lsd if you want to slide. boost leaks occur around any piping thats associated with your turbo.
examples:
-intake or the piping associated with it
-any loose clamps or hose connections
-the turbo itself
-the outlet hoses
look this up its on a 300zx but its a basic idea Boost Leak Guide
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
ExtraGoodness