Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
S13 Winking headlights.

So guys I've been working on this project to make the headlights on my S13 wink with the push of a button for a while now. Currently I am still testing my design in a simplified form that just does sleepy eyes, but once i have this prototype finished (waiting on a order of P-channel mosfets) I will start make PCBs that fit in the Factory headlight timer box.

I will be making this in 2 versions.

The 1st version will be just a Plug and Play sleepy eye controller, with one wire that will have to be connected to 12v (R/B wire on the time control module right next to it). It will function just like a Pivot RHU-M which are now getting very rare and expensive.

The 2nd will be the Wink board it will connect and function the same, but will wink of course, just like the first board but it will require slight modifying of the chassis harness. Which will require rewiring the 2 relays that cut the headlight grounds while the headlights are opening. To selectively disable the headlight motors to wink ether headlight. No wires will added, just a few wires will be cut, spliced and/or grounded at both headlights and the driver side engine bay relay box.

Right now in just trying to gauge what kinda of interest there is out there for these. Once i get these parts in it'll be about a month till I’m ready to start producing the Boards.

Last edited by foreverdeath; 10-01-2014 at 07:22 PM..
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
I like your efforts....

be warned though, you will damage the headlight motor gears if they are not locked UP or DOWN.

Ideas like this or the PIVOT controller have been flawed, imo, since day 1. Popup headlights are not designed to be partially up/down, and the headlight optics will jounce.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
I don't see how the gears will be damaged as internaly it is a free floating worm gear ( headlight motor shaft has some axial play built into it) driving the arm and will absorb the vibrations of the headlights jouncing while sleepy eyed. If so we would have a lot of broken headlight motors that would free spin with out lifting the headlights. Winking will not hurt them though.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Been looking at this idea, the pivot style, myself. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Thank you. Not a whole lot of work left now, got the hardware figured out today now after finding out i need to change some resistor values and that N-channel mosfets are only good for switched ground today. Now all that is left is finishing and maybe debugging more code. All thats really left now is learning to make PCBs again, made a few back in high school, but its been a while.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Ah yes, I remember the days when I was 21 messing around with the Arduino and my car's wiring LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdeath View Post
I don't see how the gears will be damaged as internaly it is a free floating worm gear ( headlight motor shaft has some axial play built into it) driving the arm and will absorb the vibrations of the headlights jouncing while sleepy eyed. If so we would have a lot of broken headlight motors that would free spin with out lifting the headlights. Winking will not hurt them though.
Have you ever partially lowered your headlight manually with the knob, and then wiggled the headlight up and down with your hand, its got enough play to cause flickering of the headlights and over time from normal suspension travel on public roads, will ruin the motor gears like Mike has stated.

Fact is, people usually sell or total their cars before they get to experience this problem.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
interested in outcome
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote