Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
stiffing up s-chassis??

i have a 97 s14, 120k on it. the car chassis wise feels loose as s*it. the car just doesnt feel solid anymore, going over bumps and uneven roads everything feels loose and sloopy. i live in nyc and the roads suck that and add coilovers i guess it finally took a tole on my frame.

so what can i do to possibly stiffen back up the car? i was going to start with checking over all the bolts that attach the front/rear subframe to the car. i have nismo mounts and spl collors. i was going to get spl diff bushings because when i let off the cluth the rear chatters, also if i shift hard form first to second ill get wheel hop then the tires just spin.

i was also thinking of a power brace for the front and possibly fender braces i heard that it does wonders..

any suggestions will help. i do not want to cage the car. so that is not an option.

thanks

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
mr.jdm
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
mr.jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.jdm
well from my experience wheel hop is induced by crappy suspension. what kind of coilovers are you running? how many miles are on them? do they need to be rebuilt?
and go with a urethane bushing kit. that will stiffn everything up real nice
mr.jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
sus. setup:
megan streets ~8k on them
sus. sway bars
tien inner/outer tie rods
spl collors
nismo mounts
battle version t/c rods

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
mr.jdm
Leaky Injector

mr.jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.jdm
my guess would be the megans. i know their not the greatest. maybe their worn out? lets see what the others say.
mr.jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SFC's
Urethane Bushings
Fender Braces
and so on... theres allot of shit, checking your bushings is a good start though
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
replace all your arms with pillowball where you can, get solid steering rack bushings, and whatever's left use polyurethane.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Luckily you have a 14 and dont have to do the column bushing like on a 13. That shit sucks - even with the motor out...

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
silvia13t14
Zilvia Member

silvia13t14 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to silvia13t14
Your bet would be change the factory bushings most likely worn out and i would change those coils are nt the best HKs 111or sport,apex n1 or jic
The power brace would make the rear too stiff unless your using it for track use
In Ny u need anything suspension thats adjustable cuz of those dam bumps, dips and potholes
silvia13t14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

i think my dampering on the coils are to soft for the spring i turned them down to 7/5 i think ill raise them back to 17/15.

the power brace is for the front of the car so it would have no effect on the back. i have to jack up the car and see how much the subframe sags, i may have to do soild subframe bushings..

is it worth getting the energy sus. bushing kit? i heard its a pita to install..

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
yurisfriendevan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
yurisfriendevan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Also you may just be used to the way the car feels.
yurisfriendevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
silvia13t14
Zilvia Member

silvia13t14 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to silvia13t14
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
i think my dampering on the coils are to soft for the spring i turned them down to 7/5 i think ill raise them back to 17/15.

the power brace is for the front of the car so it would have no effect on the back. i have to jack up the car and see how much the subframe sags, i may have to do soild subframe bushings..

is it worth getting the energy sus. bushing kit? i heard its a pita to install..
yea the power brace wouldnt stiffin the rear but it would stiffin the whole chassis in which it reduces movement to the tension rods when their is for hard conering which is track use and energy bushing give away easily i would say nismo is the way 2 go
silvia13t14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't do the energy suspension bushings unless you were going to install grease fittings and cut a channel in them. They bind too easily. Spherical bearings work the best and you can upgrade to z32 rear uprights, i think the megan conversion piece is like $80... barter with them haha. You could do the chassis foam thing seen on FA also
Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
jspeedm
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
jspeedm is on the path to ruinjspeedm is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
if you have a lot of bumps and potholes, then you don't want to make any of the bushings that provide for/aft support(tension rods, traction rods, etc.) too stiff. for those, use urethane bushings.

replace the bushings that provide up/down support(rucas, rear toe rods, upper strut mounts, etc.) with spherical bearings.

in all cases these are good.
-Nismo power brace
-strut tower braces
-trunk brace
-fender brraces

good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
steering rack bushings
tension rods
nismo powerbrace
replace suspension bushings
sway bars
Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
hmm..

my car is pretty stiff..

i have a cage. though.
stance coils.
megan tension/rucas (would the crappy rucas be the reason for my wheel hop??)
i have a kaaz 2way.
braces all over.
GET SWAY BARS.
tension rods and sway bars seriously made the biggest difference. I FELT A HUGE change i changed those out

id really suggest just tons of braces. get a c-pillar lol they look cool :P
and the rear strut bar
i have no experience with the nismo power bar..but ive heard good things about it.
and if you dont have AT LEAST subframe inserts DEF. get some
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
You can get rid of a bit of that wheel hop with the only rear arm you didn't get... the traction rod
Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
los_inc
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
los_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to los_inc
hit up jonnie fraz he'll tighten your shit up
<3
-los
Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
shakito plates.

fender braces.

power brace.

if you want to go a level further...

chassis foam.

bolt-in/weld-in roll cage.

stitch welds.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
chassis foam in an area with salt (such as ny) is the worst thing you could possibly do. Read up on some old hot rods or european cars that had factory foam. The only rust spots were where the foam was.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
not if you use the right stuff.

there are foams that don't hold moisture.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Link? I am starting some research on the chassis foam idea

S14 Build
DRFT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98koukile View Post
I wouldn't do the energy suspension bushings unless you were going to install grease fittings and cut a channel in them. They bind too easily. Spherical bearings work the best and you can upgrade to z32 rear uprights, i think the megan conversion piece is like $80... barter with them haha. You could do the chassis foam thing seen on FA also
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeedm View Post
if you have a lot of bumps and potholes, then you don't want to make any of the bushings that provide for/aft support(tension rods, traction rods, etc.) too stiff. for those, use urethane bushings.

replace the bushings that provide up/down support(rucas, rear toe rods, upper strut mounts, etc.) with spherical bearings.

in all cases these are good.
-Nismo power brace
-strut tower braces
-trunk brace
-fender brraces

good luck.
I've have/had urethane bushings in the suspension
they do stiffen up the car quite a bit
but I don't really like the way the suspension works after
spherical bushings and quality joints is what I plan to do down the line.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #23
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
Handi-Foam.
Thats the RIGHT STUFF.
$49.88+ ship for a kit to do maybe the rockers and a tad more.

DO NOT USE SPRAY Insulation foam.

Ordering mine this week.Gonna do the rockers and Try to figure out a way to do the Frame rails.Not sure how except drilling holes.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #24
redsuns3838
Zilvia Addict

redsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to redsuns3838
seam welding , since the car is just glued together. But Thats a big commitment timewise so I'd do everything else first.
redsuns3838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #25
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
get in
get a boner
drive
Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #26
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
/\

LULZ

thats awesome

also bushings
Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #27
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
I have all that crap for my kouki and what made the biggest difference was

Coilovers

ES Bushings for EVERYTHING (besides what you replace with pillowballs)

Power Brace

Shakitto Plates/DC front strut bar

Do-Luck Rear Cross Bar

In that order...

I have more but that is what I noticed the most.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #28
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

thanks for all the info im going to do the power brace, arms , diff bushings, strut bars, and the other bushings.

but if i do all the arms will it not be pointless to get the energy sus. bushing kit as most of the arms will replace the use for bushings?

and the foam seems like a good idea, but how much weight does that add on the car?

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #29
gunluvS14
Zilvia Member

gunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura about
not much. Search under my name about chassis stiffening foam.
hint: my write-up/information are not necessary solely in this forum. Use the interweb
Old 01-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #30
xs240
BANNED

xs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Polyurethane bushings suck, I had whiteline ones in all my arms all around, they suck. Get spherical bearings, car feels softer plus no bind now hah.... better response and tightness yet soft not nerv racking.
xs240 is offline   Reply With Quote