Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #841
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
exactly what i say in every thread.
A KA is easier with a welded, and since you never are going that fast and are always full throttle, you dont need it to unlock to get traction and slow down.

When you get real HP, get a real Diff with it

yep welded with low power is win

stock sr is also better with a welded I love mine still
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #842
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

jasoncanseeoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Noob question, but why do so many drifters fight for grip? For example, the formula d tire size to weight rule... Can anyone give me some insight?
jasoncanseeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #843
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
To go faster.

For a second, forget that drift cars are moving sideways. Imagine it going around a corner without any slip angle. In order for it to go faster around the radius of the turn, a wider tire is preferable to have more lateral grip force. The same applies for drifting. Some of the grip force is used for spinning the tires to get some slip angle, the rest is for sticking to the road. The rear tire (closest to the most outter side) contributes a lot to the overall grip of teh car.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #844
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncanseeoh View Post
Noob question, but why do so many drifters fight for grip? For example, the formula d tire size to weight rule... Can anyone give me some insight?
Because they think 500+ horsepower is needed to drift.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #845
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Because they think 500+ horsepower is needed to drift.

it has to do with competition. What is faster off the line. a small tire, or a big tire. well the big tire will get more traction (surface area) than the small tire. Well if the guy next to you has the maximum tire allowed for the amount of weight he has, and based on your weight, you have the maximum, you "should" be equal. As horsepower doesn't judge how much forward traction you can acheive. It's not the power of the engine that puts traction down. it's the tires.

Now with that understood, Torque is what spins that tire. If you have the maximum tire for your required weight, that doesn't mean you have enough power to actually spin those.

And that's why Justin's running a Mustang with almost 900whp and a 295 tire. If he ran that tire with less power, it will be harder to spin cause the friction will still be the same on the tire regardless of power. Basically more power, just means it's easier to spin required tire. Less power, for the same size, just makes it harder to break that traction.

And unfortunately, money determines power. Justin's driving around in a Roush built motor worth 40k. That's what sponsors provide ;D. And as you can see...it's giving him podiums with his driving also being on par.

Winning in FD means forward traction. Eventually there is a limit to how much grip you can acheive without doing willies around the track sideways (which according to ross petty, he says he at some point actually has both his tires leave the ground cause of traction).
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #846
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
You say potato, I say potato!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #847
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

Hm. I get it now. Thanks boys! Just sucks cause FD is such a high level of drifting and it's quite inspirational. Too bad to drift at that high of a level, you need to have LOTS of money.

I mean, yeah... sponsors pay for all that shit.
But how do you get those sponsors?
With a high performance drift car.

High performance drift car = LOTS OF money.

EFFING WHACK SAUCE

There's a couple people I know locally that are spoiled by their parents and made it to FD because of them.......... makes me frown.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #848
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Quote:
Hm. I get it now. Thanks boys! Just sucks cause FD is such a high level of drifting and it's quite inspirational. Too bad to drift at that high of a level, you need to have LOTS of money.

EFFING WHACK SAUCE

There's a couple people I know locally that are spoiled by their parents and made it to FD because of them.......... makes me frown.
Welcome to the world of motorsports.

Everything is expensive.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #849
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

^so they have their parent's pay for it?
eh, doesn't sound right to me.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #850
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
This is by far the dumbest post I've ever read on here.

NWN had a contest where the member with the most votes got a sponsorship.

Also why don't you go read the post that Walker directed toward you after you tried to call him out on "his parents payed for his entire drift car build".

Ignorance must be bliss.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #851
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

PM'ing you.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #852
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

EFFING WHACK SAUCE

I still don't see what is wrong with people being supported by their family?

Someone enlighten me?

You think ANY of the Formula 1 drivers would be where they are if they weren't supported by their family?

Funding is just ONE part of the equation.

You can't buy a podium finish. That takes SKILL.

Getting a sponsor takes more than an awesome car.

You have a lot of learning to do, and judging by your age you seem to think you know everything, when in reality you have a long way to go.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #853
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

EFFING WHACK SAUCE

get over it

word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #854
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
so i remembered that the guy who i bought my diff from said he put friction modifier in it. and since that makes the diff lock less aggressively, does that mean that once i change the fluid, it will lock easier and i wont need to try as hard to lock it? lol

i know the low hp of the ka is still in play, but im just wondering if it will get easier once i change diff fluid.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #855
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_love_silvia View Post
so i remembered that the guy who i bought my diff from said he put friction modifier in it. and since that makes the diff lock less aggressively, does that mean that once i change the fluid, it will lock easier and i wont need to try as hard to lock it? lol

i know the low hp of the ka is still in play, but im just wondering if it will get easier once i change diff fluid.
... You haven't been reading. People drift fine with stock KA's even with 18's. It's not the car, diff, parts, etc. It's just you.

on another note, friction modifiers are used as an additive for regular gear oil to make it LSD compatible. Do you have an LSD? Assuming you do, it's just you.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #856
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
... You haven't been reading. People drift fine with stock KA's even with 18's. It's not the car, diff, parts, etc. It's just you.

on another note, friction modifiers are used as an additive for regular gear oil to make it LSD compatible. Do you have an LSD? Assuming you do, it's just you.
according to the multiple posts ive read, people use friction modifier to simply stop diff clunking.

yes i have a 2 way. but i also have a basically stock car. fully stock suspension. go a page back if u want to know whats on my car.

and while i know i havent mastered it, i can assure u, its partly the car. i can lock the diff up fine if i ebrake, clutch kick, or power through it. im just having a hard time locking it up on brake drifting. even when going like 35-40 through a 90 degree turn. im not gunna state where its at, but lets just say theres little room for mistake or il crash, so im a little reluctant to go in full blast through the turn.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #857
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
according to the multiple posts ive read, people use friction modifier to simply stop diff clunking.

yes i have a 2 way. but i also have a basically stock car. fully stock suspension. go a page back if u want to know whats on my car.

and while i know i havent mastered it, i can assure u, its partly the car. i can lock the diff up fine if i ebrake, clutch kick, or power through it. im just having a hard time locking it up on brake drifting. even when going like 35-40 through a 90 degree turn. im not gunna state where its at, but lets just say theres little room for mistake or il crash, so im a little reluctant to go in full blast through the turn.
why are you brake drifting at 35-40? You have to go faster. Everyone I know hit's the corner 60+ for brake drifting. Just don't do it. Do other stuff.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #858
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

^ thats what i needed to know. thanks lol.

tho thats simply too fast and scary for where i was doing it lol.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #859
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
^ thats what i needed to know. thanks lol.

tho thats simply too fast and scary for where i was doing it lol.
Go to the track. It's better.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #860
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Quote:
why are you brake drifting at 35-40? You have to go faster. Everyone I know hit's the corner 60+ for brake drifting. Just don't do it. Do other stuff.
"the corner"

What corner?

There is no set speed for drifting.

Telling someone that they need to go X speed at an unknown location/surface is a horrible idea.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #861
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
"the corner"

What corner?

There is no set speed for drifting.

Telling someone that they need to go X speed at an unknown location/surface is a horrible idea.
no for the specific technique that he is trying to do. brake drifting at that slow of speeds would just stop the car no?

By corner I meant whatever thing he's drifting around

Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #862
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Quote:
no for the specific technique that he is trying to do. brake drifting at that slow of speeds would just stop the car no?

By corner I meant whatever thing he's drifting around
Not necessarily -- it depends on other things, like alignment setting, tire quality, surface condition, and the corner itself...

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #863
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Am I the only one who never felt the need to initiate through, 'brake' drifting?

Weight transfer, clutch kick, ebrake. All that is needed. No?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #864
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Am I the only one who never felt the need to initiate through, 'brake' drifting?

Weight transfer, clutch kick, ebrake. All that is needed. No?
Depends man... like, at all those old Drift Day events they used to have in Socal, the tracks were always setup to where you didn't need to slow down for the turns. You just enter from the straight at full throttle, give it a little pitch, and kick the clutch. It gets boring though.

But what do you do when you've got a straight, followed by a hairpin? You could kick the clutch super early, balance the car while it scrubs off speed, and enter the turn. Or you could do a little dance with the e-brake through the straight before entering the turn. But it kind of gets a little old too after doing it for a full day.

You're right, you never really NEED NEED to brake drift.
I just like doing it... it's a matter of preference I think. I like it because at least for me, it's more difficult, and you really feel your car and its setup. You really have to do things the right way or it just won't work. Like, take any car... Pull hard on the ebrake and the rears lock up. That's predictable. It doesn't matter what kind of coilovers you have or changes you made. Cars are going to react relatively the same.

But the way a car reacts to pedal braking will always be different depending on the car and what you did to it. (unless you lock up the brakes). You can really feel your setup and you can feel the changes you made. And technique matters a lot more... how fast you turn the steering wheel, how hard you brake, when you brake...

It's hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean. You can go up to the corner entrance faster.... threshold brake to slow the car, keep some weight on the front, and brake drift it into the turn. Then you can appreciate the hard work you did with setup and polishing your technique. I find this a lot more rewarding, but that's just me.

Kind of feel like I rambled on... o wells

Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #865
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

I agree with Zar (although now I can't take him seriously and LOL everytime I see his sig and avatar hahaahhahaha). The only people I've met that actually NEED brake drifting is the, anything higher power than a KA at Adam's Track in Riverside. That's only because the course is tiny.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #866
xFix Kaos
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
xFix Kaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
so far this thread = fail...cant believe i wasted time reading through it...im dumb...
xFix Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #867
revcyanide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
revcyanide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
beiber feverrr!!!

also, if you car wont lock up on brake drifting but locks up ok otherwise....

dont brake drift?
revcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #868
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

If your car locks up trying to brake drift, you're probably locking up the fronts only, and that's a one-way trip to understeer land... You want to brake to pitch weight forward, but you don't want to do it so hard that you lock up the fronts.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #869
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
I agree with Zar (although now I can't take him seriously and LOL everytime I see his sig and avatar hahaahhahaha). The only people I've met that actually NEED brake drifting is the, anything higher power than a KA at Adam's Track in Riverside. That's only because the course is tiny.

I can dig it. But I have drifted a gokart track before, and ebrake was enough.

I rather enter fast and slow down mid drift.

Braking into a hairpin like that sounds rad, but a I find that it doesn't allow you to build revs up once you are mid corner, as well as it sounds like a recipe for understeer.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #870
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Braking into a hairpin like that sounds rad, but a I find that it doesn't allow you to build revs up once you are mid corner, as well as it sounds like a recipe for understeer.
Dropping revs, yeah it happens. It really depends on the car and the corner. 2nd gear hairpins with my s14 and stock ka, there is no problem for the most part, as long as you can maintain at least 3000rpm. With sr or a 4.3 final drive (or both), there's no issues whatsoever.

Understeer, happens too. You just have to do it right. Don't brake too hard when it's time to pitch the car into the turn. Play with pads.

Some people don't like brake drift because it seems to require more effort. Like there's a lot of extra variables and caca to think about. Some people like it for that same reason.