Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #31
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Picking up where we left off, I flew home last Wednesday to pack up the rest of the house. I didn't realize how much crap we had because that truck was floor to ceiling, front to back.

My road trip partner for the next 3 days. Doggo loved sitting shotty because he could see everything.

We made it with no issues; my son and dogs are amazing travelers. I miss having the Army move us, it was a long 5 days and still have a ton of unpacking to do. Good news is the garage has almost 13ft ceilings so a lift may definitely be in my future.

crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #32
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Alrighty, took a week or so to get the garage cleared out enough to set it up how I wanted it for now. Ordered a few misc. pieces to finish up my project and get to work doing some small stuff while I wait.

Shout out to FRSport for shipping my parts to NC instead of CO and not responding to like 3 emails or picking up their phone after I'd placed the order...so there's that. Glad the new owner of the house was cool enough to hold on to the one package that got delivered by usps even though i have my mail being forwarded here.

Bought a new daily. Haven't owned one since high school, been itching to get a trail rig because there are hundreds of places to go out here. It was too good of a deal, 3" lift, leather interior, and the only one I could find without 200K+ miles that didn't cost an arm & leg.

Alright, back to 240s. Smashed some new ARP studs in my front hubs. Still got the fronts to do.

Then I got to work on the z32 vlsd I've had sitting in a corner for the past decade. Only put about 1000 miles on it before I broke an axle and couldn't find another 5 bolt axle so I swapped it back out and there it sat since 2008. Glad I opened it up instead of just a drain/fill; fluid was disgusting.

Then I hot-boi'd it with some new paint

Friend came in clutch with some axles. I knew I wanted to break down and refresh whatever I found, so it worked out great that one of them had a blown out cover plate and ripped boot. He gave me a set of z32s for spare parts.

Can't find my brass punches so I can't take apart the outer joint to clean. Waiting on boots anyways, so not a huge deal. I gotta pull the open diff out to weld so my buddy can have a spare diff for No Coast at the beginning of September....should be a party!

Last edited by crash n' burn; 07-31-2018 at 11:26 PM..
Old 08-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #33
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

All wrapped up. I'm glad that I took a picture of the inner joint, I couldn't remember which was the outer race was oriented.

Inner race of the outer joint didn't want to come out easily so opposed to forcing it, I just wiped out all the grease I could and hit it with a little brake cleaner to get what was left.

Those races are a PITA to get lined up correctly but they only go 1 way and finally it slipped together like butter.

Flexed the joints to check for binding and get the grease where it needed to go. They're nice and quiet, no play, smooth movement. I've done jeep axles before, but this was a first and I'm pretty pleased with it. Hopefully they'll hold up a little better than the S13 tripod style axles that like to slip out on lowered cars. Those boot bands on the inner joint suuuuuuck though without the proper tool, I'm going to try and find some traditional CV boot straps.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #34
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Sailor is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Great work so far. Please don't stop the great work. Keep it thorough.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #35
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

After arguing with FRSport for a over a week, they finally gave me my money back. I turned around and ordered from Enjuku the same day..what a PITA. I know some are love/hate with Enjuku but they got their shit together and that's why they're as big as they are.

Since everything should be here tomorrow I just went ahead and started pulling it apart.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #36
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Alright. Got the rear end back together for now; but I have to re-attack it once the e-brake stuff some in from Z1. Not a big deal since I'm going to be doing the 5spd swap so I'm going to be back up under the car again anyways.

Speaking of the 5spd swap. I was waiting for brake lines to show up so I broke out the crusty brake pedal and started to clean it up along with the clutch pedal. Apparently the clutch had been rattle canned because all the paint started coming out while cleaning it. So break them both down, clean, repaint, re-grease and reassemble. No one is going to see them, but its the little things that count. My OCD would also be out of control if I'd left it..so there's that.

Had a friend swing by to borrow the steelies since his rear alignment wrecked the tires on his longchamps. I tweaked it a little for him and sent him on his way to buy new tires and a real alignment. Coupe Boiiis!!

So now that its sitting back on the ground I switched to a little bit of front prep. These bushing did not want to some out smoothly like the S13 arms did. I absolutely hate burning out bushings but there was waaaay too much material left to get my small wire wheel in there to clean the bores. Finally got it all taken care of but the arms are a little rough so i'm going to give them a splash of paint before I put the new ball joints and bushings in.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #37
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

The semester started for school so things have been a little slow. Really was hoping to have this back out on the street by this weekend for my birthday buuuuut that's not going to happen.

Started to clean up the arms and surface rust was showing up so I stripped them. Ended up being slightly pitted underneath everything but they came out nice with a couple coats of etch and filler primer then paint.

Started digging around for the new e-brake stuff and got those together.

Fucked up real good and found out I dont have 30mm calipers; definitely thought they were since I had measured them. Not a huge deal though because I sold the front rotors locally and scooped up one of the last stocks of discontinued Stoptech 26mm rotors. Figured I'd take this time to pull the front hub bearings apart and repack them.

Luckily I did because there wasn't much grease left in them and the rest was pretty dried out. No signs of scoring or scorching and there was no play previously which is amazing since they came off the drift slut that had 285k on the odometer.

Pulled the master and cleaned the reservoir; shit was gross. I damn sure not about to put that back through the lines and my clean calipers.

Ended up pulling the booster out since an old BMC leak had ruined the paint and it was rusting. Figured now was a good of time as any to swap out the pedals. Also ended up drilling out the firewall for the clutch pedal as well.

Guess you could say things are getting pretty serious; there's no going back now.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #38
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Right on! Got the rotors in, put the front back together and gave it a half ass alignment for now. Definitely needs to moar low.

Then I continued with the 5spd swap. Wrestled with the top trans bolt but a little ingenuity won the day. Glad to get that trash out of there. Really hope all this effort is worth it.

I really enjoy driving the car even when it had the auto in it, so hopefully this will reinvigorate my passion. Also been trying to decide on the next step for the car; Silvia front end or wheels? hmmmmmmm
Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #39
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Have family in for the last few days, so not much has happened. Hopefully the next update will be back on the ground and driving. Got a friend stopping by after work today to lend a hand getting this trans in the car. I could do it myself but anyone who's done it by themselves understands.

Took care of the wiring for inhibitor and reverse lights. love how theres only 2 wires for the reverse lights and 2 for the speed sensor now. I was going to tear apart and merge the entire lower harness, make it all pretty and tucked but that's more work than I feel like doing to a sohc KA, haha. Also, It'd be a total waste of my braided mesh wire loom.

think this is the first transmission the fill and drain plugs came out without getting destroyed. Didn't look too bad, nothing chunky. Was definitely overdue for a fluid change.

threw in the clutch, changed out the TOB and slave on the trans; she ready!

Old 09-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #40
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Love this car. Awesome progress! Sorry to see the pictures from the hail storm- that definitely sucks.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #41
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Love this car. Awesome progress! Sorry to see the pictures from the hail storm- that definitely sucks.
Pretty much, but i'm happy to have the jeep now. It's 2005 all over again for me.

p.s.

Fuck installing transmissions by yourself.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #42
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

You know....shit like this wasn't a problem when I first started messing with 240s. I really fucking despise buying used parts from people. I've gotten burned twice now.

This was supposed to be a barely used OE part. Took me a hot minute to find a non-reman BM50. I was having trouble bleeding the brakes because i rushed and never bench bled it; never had an issue before but it happens. So I take it back out and noticed i was getting ZERO pressure through the rear port. I thought, hmmmmm....doesn't seem right at all. Well, this is the treasure hidden inside when I took the BMC apart.

Excellent....that would be calcified dirt, old fluid, gunk, etc that was blocking the fluid from moving into the chamber from the secondary piston. Cleaned everything up, checked the seals for wear, and reassembled. Fluid shot half way across the garage on the first pump.

Oh yessss..shes a squirter..

Had to break out the vacuum bleeder for the fronts. once i started pulling fluid, they were able to bleed normally but pumping the pedal. Old fluid wasn't terrible but definitely needed a change either way.

Almost done with hover mode. Did a final bolt torque check throughout the drive-train, re-attached the lower harness, filled the rear end up, put the interior back together, re-adjusted my coilovers and checked the rear alignment.

Now I'm just waiting on some MT-90. Amazon prime trial for that free 2-day shipping, haha.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #43
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Here I go dropping the ball. Kind of hit a brick wall and I can't figure out whats going on, then the last 2 weeks of school took up most of my time finishing my classes out for the semester.

Got everything wrapped up, looks great.

I went to start it and the starter won't engage the flywheel. So, I put the batter on a tender, tossed in a new starter....same thing. I don't know whats going on. I bench tested the starter to make sure the bendex was extending completely, which it looked like it is. Then I broke down the starter and mounted the head so I could manually engage the lever. I get the engagement I need, awesome, at least the flywheel is the correct diameter and offset so I don't need to drop the trans to check it from the backside, etc etc.

It requires the lever to be pulled much further than the solenoid's travel, so I tweaked the forks that move the collar on the bendex and tried again, no change. I'm at a loss right now. I'm going to try 1 more parts store starter just in case the one I got was faulty.

The next post with either include some sweet satisfactory shake down driving or that whole god damn motor getting thrown in a dumpster. If you happen to have any suggestions, I'm all ears at this point.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #44
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know for sure the sohc and dohc starters work on the dual cam engine
but I'm NOT sure if a DOHC starter would work on a SOHC engine.

When you were at the parts store did you have them look up a 240sx starter? Maybe look into a d21 hardbody starter

Just some ideas
Old 10-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #45
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your dog is so cute, looks just like mine! And he did great when I drove from Florida to California when we moved. Cars looking good!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #46
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

I got tired of wasting my time..fuck a SOHC; its been good to me but no thanks. Took me a couple days to find someone that would come evacuate the freon so I could disconnect it.

On to the next one..I cant wait to hit the bay with the pressure washer and see where its at; I've yet to find any rust or corrosion.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #47
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Really painful discovery last night. This whole starter hassle could have been avoided if i'd followed my normal philosophy of not using P/O parts that come with a car.

Fucking gear ring was spinning the whole time. Interference fit my ass, I was able to spin and remove the ring by hand. Apparently Exedy make decent clutches but shit flywheels. Easily remedied by throwing 4 evenly space tack welds like other manufactures or ya know..not having a 2pc design. Oh well, I got some decent cash for the motor..live and learn I guess.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #48
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Well, that escalated quickly. Just like that, I dont care about some stupid cheap flywheel. This is was just too gooda deal to pass it up.

Deetz tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #49
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Exciting! Can't wait to hear more.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #50
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

I sold my sohc setup the night after I pulled it, got a decent price for it. I also has a bit of cash laying around because I had been planning to buy some silvia front end parts. Now, I was on the hunt for a motorset and there was a front clip locally for an arguably good price since it had everything to drop and go.

This thing popped up Thursday before I left work, told the wife it was an impossibly good deal to pass on. I did some quick math on what it'd cost me to buy the missing parts and it definitely made sense. After checking it out, we tossed it in the jeep with probably another $1000 worth of parts in boxes, an engine stand and 2ton hoist.

So..why such a good deal? A rebuilt SR with about 5k miles on it. After I sell off the parts I won't be using, this thing cost me a grand total of $0 as it sits. Needs a starter, fuel rail, 1 injector, clutch, manifold, and a transmission before I can toss it in the car. The wiring is meh, so I'm going to have to spend some time on it. The P/O was running a Power FC setup, 750s, and top mount that made about 350 wheel. Like I said, it needs a few things, but considering the front clip I was looking at costs 3k, I would have spent money on new gaskets, water pump and thermo, oil pump, etc etc and other maintenance items, etc etc..this is going to cost me 1/2 that.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #51
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Took some time to clean the car, was really nice this weekend. came out looking fucking fire.

Started checking the harness. Boy..she needs some love. I have a feeling this thing will be temporary. I still want to build out my own and this one is a little worse for wear; guess I'll find out when I try to start it, ha. Started off swapping the sohc dash plug on there and de-pinned it so there's not a bunch of unused wire hanging off. I figured I'd just run through it from top to bottom.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:30 AM   #52
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

It's so clean! Very cool. Excited for the SR.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #53
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Finished up fixing the harness. This ridiculous shit is what I've had to deal with. Not a single solder or crimped connection in this entire harness, just twisted wires....hilarious

If you haven't noticed, I don't have a very large work surface. Ha..

Took some time to find a cheap miter saw, some wood, and mathed real hard. Came out really really nice. I could park a car on top of this thing.

Got some sweet snow last weekend so I took the XJ up into the mountains and trailed around a little.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:29 AM   #54
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Well..its certainly been a busy few months. Work kind of halted with the holidays, family drama, school work, and a home reno project. Car was on the back burner for the past 2 months.

Once I got the garage all cleared out and cleaned up....Here comes another turd

Buddy needed to store his car while hes deployed. Hatch is filled with 1jz vvti/cd009 swap parts hes been mailing to the house. But, I had to swap the lower plenum on the SR since it was tapped for a MAP sensor. New one I picked up was filled with sludge, so a quick soak and slapped that on.

I pulled the steering rack apart to re-seal it. When I replaced my tie-rods last October, the boots were filled with fluid so I knew it needed it. Very smooth process, hope the gates seal kit works out, i was super careful to cover up the teeth on the steering shaft while sliding on the center seal..that's where they fuck up 99% of the time.

Then I decided to tackle the hot side and throw a bunch of new hardware and multi layer gaskets at it. I even found an old factory catch can to toss on. Will just need to clean ti up and hit it with a little paint.

I also grabbed a few things for the battery relocation. I wanted something presentable but low key even if its in the trunk. I have to swap in the fuel pump while I'm back there running the lines as well.

So, now that you're all up to speed, I've got a few things in route that will button up the drive train so I can get it in probably next weekend. I've still got to grab a radiator, intercooler, and turbo back exhaust stuff. We're in the final stretch and I hope to have it up and running for the start of summer.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #55
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Love the coupe!
Keep it up man.
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:49 PM   #56
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Small update.

I was set to drop the drivetrain in this past weekend but I had to rush the wife to the ER early Sunday morning. Ended up needing emergency surgery to remove her gallbladder. She she was in bad shape and started to getting jaundice. Been taking primary on parental duties while shes recovering. Annnnnnnnyways.

Been working on some small odds and ends. Still trying to decide on HMIC or FMIC. I love the idea of a high mount but a nice GReddy kit hanging off the front always looks tough.

Got the rack back in. Cleaned the cross member, wrapped up the relocation. Really happy about the fit and finish. I just need to toss in the fuel pump and wire in the relay to stabilize the voltage.

Since I'm running poly mounts, the driver's side needed a head shield. I had the skid plate from my old blue coupe laying around. Couple cuts and bends, we're golden. Thanks NCDOT!

Meanwhile, my quest for deals came in clutch. Shout out to THMotorsports for a KILLER price on a Hi-Power exhuast. I also scooped up a new PBM cobra flex from another member. Their shipping costs are ridiculous so it saved me like $100 on a new one. I need all the clearance I can get since i was just barely scraping my stock exhuast pulling into the garage.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 04-04-2019 at 08:24 AM..
Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #57
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
averyglass is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mind supplying the links for the battery relocation stuff? I want to do the exact same thing in my coupe.
averyglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #58
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyglass View Post
Mind supplying the links for the battery relocation stuff? I want to do the exact same thing in my coupe.
- 21ft red, Knu Konceptz cable, 1/0ga. Have about 5ft left after making a starter power wire)
- 3ft black, Knu Konceptz cable, 1/0ga.
- 2 set-screw ring terminal, Knu Konceptz, 1/0ga. Perfect size for starter stud and the other for ground.
-----------$54?

- Stinger SGP901501 150A breaker, does 1/0ga or 4ga with a removable insert.
- Stinger Select SSVLBTP & SSVLBTN battery terminals, has 0/4/(2)8ga terminals.
- Stinger SHD21 distro block, (2)1/0ga and (4)4ga or 8ga with removable insert.
-----------$65?

- Orielly's battery box.

-----------$15?

Not too bad, a lot of it is preference and it could be done cheaper. Cable can hold like 400A of current. Max alternator output is 85A factory, 125A if using the Quest alternator; both below the breaker threshold including the added resistance over 12ft.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 05-07-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Old 04-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #59
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Had some time to kill yesterday afternoon, figured I'd toss everything in there. Super smooth install, my buddy Jack swung by with an adapter I needed and gave me a hand.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 05-02-2019 at 08:09 PM..
Old 04-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #60
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm jealous of your trunk interior.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote