Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #31
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_240 View Post
Nice [emoji106]
How’s she running now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The heat today is definitely a good test, on the way to work it wasnt bad at all. Only reached about 190 cruising, but after I was off the fwy and getting on it about 210. Driving doesnt worry me, its traffic I just want to make sure that the fans can keep up. I've installed the LRB lower cooling panel too to see if it helps, that being said I've done a few things together so hard to say whats working or if it all is together. I am debating doing a DMAX scoop and cutting the hood. There goes my discrete appearance somewhat.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #32
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I am going to open the small hole in the inner fender and take fresh air from that location. It rains all the time here and lots of big puddles to splash up, and I use a paper cone so water is no good with paper. It would probably disintegrate. So I am in a similar position and have been giving this much thought.

I think what I Will try is an aluminum panel that opens facing rearward, so it will not catch rain. And then open the hole some more (already opened it a bit as is).

The sickest solution is a large flat air cleaner embedded into the core support that feeds from the hood in such a way that is water-friendly. But that is unrealistic. However, a similar approach may be used if you have access to 3d printing, some kind of small box would be made to fit a space and use a common filter. Today though there are many cone style filters to choose from so its rarely a pressing issue. More like a finishing touch.

The main thing being of course, to keep the filter in the engine bay and protect it from water. While still giving it access to outside air. I am in the process of walling off that corner of the engine bay so that it only shares 'outside air' and not engine bay air. or something like that. I think I just had an idea...

The best fans I can recommend for all swaps are those Altima dual fans, $85 shipped from ebay works fantastic here in florida, ls no issues
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #33
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I am going to open the small hole in the inner fender and take fresh air from that location. It rains all the time here and lots of big puddles to splash up, and I use a paper cone so water is no good with paper. It would probably disintegrate. So I am in a similar position and have been giving this much thought.

I think what I Will try is an aluminum panel that opens facing rearward, so it will not catch rain. And then open the hole some more (already opened it a bit as is).

The sickest solution is a large flat air cleaner embedded into the core support that feeds from the hood in such a way that is water-friendly. But that is unrealistic. However, a similar approach may be used if you have access to 3d printing, some kind of small box would be made to fit a space and use a common filter. Today though there are many cone style filters to choose from so its rarely a pressing issue. More like a finishing touch.

The main thing being of course, to keep the filter in the engine bay and protect it from water. While still giving it access to outside air. I am in the process of walling off that corner of the engine bay so that it only shares 'outside air' and not engine bay air. or something like that. I think I just had an idea...

The best fans I can recommend for all swaps are those Altima dual fans, $85 shipped from ebay works fantastic here in florida, ls no issues
Thankfully out here in CA we dont get too much rain, so putting the filter there isnt a big deal. If it does rain I just dont drive this thing honestly. The altima fans were and option, I am just curious how big they are. I am using CX's kit and its freaking tight. I am trying to not cut anything or move my radiator any farther forward because I would like to keep AC and not move the condenser.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #34
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
The heat today is definitely a good test, on the way to work it wasnt bad at all. Only reached about 190 cruising, but after I was off the fwy and getting on it about 210. Driving doesnt worry me, its traffic I just want to make sure that the fans can keep up. I've installed the LRB lower cooling panel too to see if it helps, that being said I've done a few things together so hard to say whats working or if it all is together. I am debating doing a DMAX scoop and cutting the hood. There goes my discrete appearance somewhat.

Yea dude that shit will be super aggressive at that point... well your going with that 15 front end right?

anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #35
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_240 View Post
Yea dude that shit will be super aggressive at that point... well your going with that 15 front end right?

S15 front end is coming eventually. I have all the parts to do it finally, just trying to find the right body guy. I wanted to have car dialed in mechanically before I drop more money on it.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #36
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which lifters are those? If LS7, throw them in the garbage.

This is one of my LS7 lifters that was paired with a Comp cam. And I was not alone. Multiple threads on LS1tech with the same lifters. Hopefully you used something different but if not, I would swap them out.

Last edited by RVAE34; 07-06-2018 at 05:00 PM..
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #37
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Why not run an oil cooler setup to help keep engine cool.

You can chase coolant mods all day and it may help but the addition of a mocal thermostat oil cooler is beneficial in more ways than one.
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #38
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

RVAE34 - I went with the stock lifters as I am not trying to push anything crazy with this block. The reason I think my lifters are having issues is my valve train tick I’ve been hunting down.

Greenwood - I have one ready to go, just haven’t had the time to get it installed. I was thinking that I should in theory be able to keep it cool with fans. I’ll be doing some updates soon to this thing. Swapping my other car right now so this one needs to remain in use in case any speed bumps with that.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Some Glam Shots

Old 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #40
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 7/17/18

Still having some rocker arm noise after the comp cam install, so decided to go aftermarket.

I was thinking maybe with the new comp cam kit the bolts where bottoming out but doesnt appear so.

Got around to changing my leaking rear yoke seal on the T56 and putting fresh oil.

Added this little touch
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #41
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Added this little touch
... this will end up in the DIW thread.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #42
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
... this will end up in the DIW thread.

I am fine with that, thanks for the heads up though.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #43
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 7/25/18

As I await for the parts for the motor, I decided it was time to get the wing test fitted. It will be in for paint this weekend along with the vent.

For next week:
1. Paint and install hood vent
2. Paint and install wing

Last edited by afishysilvia; 08-06-2018 at 02:53 PM..
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #44
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 8/6/18

Was able to get around to removing the hood for vent.

Got the scoop temporarily mounted, will rivit it soon. New rockers will be here this week.

Also installed the rear window shade, will get photos of that up soon.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #45
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 8/13/18

After a long issue with one of the companies I got some motor work done with(Gonna post something on this separately to warn everyone), the car is up and moving again.

Got Ganadors, vent, the awesome rear window shade, and the snow shovel mounted finally.

Now that the new vent is on I am hoping that the temperatures will cool down some. The next few days I will be driving it regularly and testing. Finally happy with the overall look. More items will be arriving soon.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #46
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I knew I recognized the back drop... pass/ed by there almost every day (F**k that street light) to catch the N.B on ramp.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #47
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
I knew I recognized the back drop... pass/ed by there almost every day (F**k that street light) to catch the N.B on ramp.
Haha yea man its a popular side street, people haul ass all the time right here going to the train tracks. Still in the process of updating this thing, tune should be next. Acquiring more parts to gain better fitment and clean up the engine bay.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #48
Ask92

Ask92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice build. Where in CA are you?
Ask92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #49
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 10/1/18

Got around to relocating the battery in the trunk

Added my switch for the additional fan (potentially A/C fan when that happens)

Had some problems with the exhaust kit, just not happy with how low it sat and was scraping everywhere. I am not very low nor do I plan to be crazy low so just getting it above or just half inch past frame is good. After hours of tweaking the setup finally got it where I wanted.

Finally installed the LRB Speed cooling panel and cut out the oil filter/plug access panel. Unfortunately for me where I mounted my remote filter I had to cut off their branding "LRB."

Next update will be the oil cooler and tune as soon as my tuner arrives for Formula Drift.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #50
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I'm not sure what kind of driving you do, but I assume it gets driven since it's not a show car. I would highly highly highly recommend at least an accusump, just from seeing ls swapped cars and personal experience. envious of ls7 torque though! great build!
Old 10-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #51
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of driving you do, but I assume it gets driven since it's not a show car. I would highly highly highly recommend at least an accusump, just from seeing ls swapped cars and personal experience. envious of ls7 torque though! great build!
Thanks for the kind words, You’re correct it’s just driven for fun. No drifting or autocross at this time, I want the cooler to add more quantity of fluid and also help keep temperatures down. Seen a few 240’s around Chino Hills lately, even a V8 one that I could'nt get to in time.

Last edited by afishysilvia; 10-08-2018 at 02:07 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #52
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 10/8/18

Was able to get the oil cooler, thermostat, and my Fumoto drain valve installed. Love these things, makes oil changes a breeze..

I have been exploring many different 3D items lately, this Advan SA3R tool is one of them. Works just as it should and for only $30 instead of $100 to $150 for a used one from Yokohama...if you could find one.

Nissfest 2018, made it out and met some cool people from the show. Even met some of the Zilvians out there, great to meet everyone and thanks for saying hi.

Guy next to me brought his 1992 Nissan Gloria from AZ, he was showing pretty hard. Great guy and amazing car, was a pleasure seeing this thing.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #53
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 10/15/18

Formula Drift was this weekend so my tuner was in town and able to get the car finally tuned.

I was hoping to squeeze a little more but he did mention this dyno reads low. Exploring options to make more HP, possibly NOS or forced induction of some sort either supercharger or turbo.

Doing Z32 rear brake swap soon, along with the rear suspension bushings.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #54
s14gmo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
s14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Looking good bro keep up the great work!!
s14gmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #55
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14gmo View Post
Looking good bro keep up the great work!!
Thanks man, lets get that Socal S Chassis meet going again. This thing is ready for a drive.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #56
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 10/18/2018

Dyno Pull while the car was being tuned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvszdIJ_Oo

Working on getting a better GoPro, the $40 Amazon knock-off has its limitations. Will get more updates soon, so far happy with the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9GEQxSIoeI
Old 10-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #57
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

The in car pull was cool. Also, either your seat is loose, or that thing's making some f'n torque!

Better camera & upload more please. Thks

Old 10-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #58
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
either your seat is loose, or that thing's making some f'n torque!
Haha funny you say that, I have tried to mess with R32 seats as much as possible, its using all four bolts. Will get more videos soon.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #59
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Update 10/23/18

Rear Z32 brake swap completed with R33 cables.

Got help from a buddy to roll the fenders some, ended up bottoming out the rear Tein coils, looking at BC Super lows, Stance, and Feal for upgrades eventually.

Finally got my last Defi gauge for oil pressure

Picked this Greddy Gracer lip up from a member here

Last edited by afishysilvia; 10-24-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Old 10-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #60
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
+1 for Gracer lip