Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Eoken is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
**SORRY ALL THE PHOTOS ARE GONE! I HAVE RE-SHELLED THIS FIRST CAR AND WORKING PICTURES ON THE 2ND AND 3RD PAGE!**

BETTER THAN THE FIRST please check it out if reading bores you XD

Thanks for viewing my thread! I will be posting pictures of my progress on here for anyone that would like to see Enjoy the pictures!

My car is a 1992 Nissan 240sx hatchback.

Here is a Picture of the Car when I got it back in March of 2015.

The fairly clean look on the outside drew me in... and with the bonus of a "running SR20DET" with useful mods it was a good buy.

switched over to Photobucket for images haha. It works but it is slow and filled with pop-ups

State of the engine bay... It had a nice and blue valve cover but it sucked up a bunch of water on the way to where the guy was meeting me and it caused it to die and struggled to star until we got all the water out of the inter cooler... Low mounted pod filters do not work with high puddles and rain very well. especially ones that have holes in them.

Last edited by Eoken; 08-03-2017 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: OP is boring so I merged the interesting posts after unlocking thread.
Eoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Post pics I opened this back up per OP request

Using Tapatalk

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Here is a shot of the interior. This is pretty close to how it was when I got the car besides the S15 steering wheel and the shift knob which I changed these out pretty much right away because the stock steering wheel was all nasty and the shift nob was not to my taste. (I turned an old plaid shirt into a shift boot temporally)

I also added a drift button which was a quick and fun mod

Last edited by Eoken; 07-27-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Eoken
Zilvia Member

One of my first modifications was a arcage style start button! I did this on my 350Z and was pretty happy with how it turned out. It also fit perfectly in the accessory power slot.

I then relocated the accessory power inside the center console storage.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Eoken
Zilvia Member

I started gathering some major parts at the junk yard which included all of the rear trim (new seats, speaker covers, MDF covered carpeted rear side panels, various plastic trim pieces). I also took note and gather screws and tabs from many cars in the junk yard to get mine as close to stock as possible).

I also got a complete A/C system from a DOHC S13 which I would install with an adapter bracket on my SR20DET.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Eoken
Zilvia Member

The 350Z shift knob was a step up from what the last owner put on my car but it was a hammy down from my 350Z and had lots of wear on it. I decided to get a Nismo aluminum shift know which I also run on my 350Z now.

+ a new genuine leather shift boot (aftermarket) very good quality!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Eoken
Zilvia Member

New pedals!! My car was originally an auto which one of the last owners converted to manual I assume when the SR20DET was swapped in. as a result they did not switch the brake pedal out and simply cut it in half and it looked like junk. Not to mention that one of the rubber covers was missing too lol.

I managed to land a set of 350Z aluminum pedal covers which will fit with some modifications. with hours of work reshaping the accelerator metal arm to get the 350Z pedal at the right angle and height. I also had to grind down the clutch and brake pedal to mimic the shape of the 350Z. for the dead pedal I paid a nice forum user $40 and he made me one that was the same style and would fasten right up to my stock dead pedal! works great!

I spent a lot of time when grind the brake pedal down to get the spacing even for a natural heal tow feel. I have tested it and with a technique using the side of the ball of my foot I am able to smoothly brake and blip the throttle at the same time. definely not as natural feeling as my 350Z but I can get used to it
Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Alright! because I planned on getting genuine bride low max seats I wanted to give the rest of the interior a similar theme. I found some "Bride" fabric on eBay. At the time I did not realize that it might me knock off because the picture were very convincing along with the reviews. I am really against companies making money off other peoples ideas (and logos) but you live and you learn... Anyways! everything turned out really well except for the door cards which were beyond tricky for me.

I used 3M super 90 spray adhesive. I worked well but it took some practice for sure.

Small piece of black suede to filling in the area the other fabric would to stretch into.

Sorry for all of the purplely photos at the beginning of this build. This was due to my camera not taking pictures well in low lighting (I work mostly at night on my car because I am so busy during the day lol). Don't worry I fixed this later on. and I will give you guys better pictures of the overall result.

Picture next to my 2006 350Z base, and 1996 Honda CBR 600F3.

This is the part I had trouble with the most. I first tried to put the fabric directly on the door car which did not work as it put creases in it... I ended up making a mold out of dirt in a trash bag lol. then I inverted it and glued it in place. I will probably have another go at this in the future because It did not come out that well.

I installed these with new power window switch bezels as my old ones had cracks. I also re-soldered the joints that were cracked in the little white box and fixed some sketchy wiring that one of the old owners did and magically the windows started working fine! lol

Old 07-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
10psitx
Zilvia Member

10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Clean car, decent work...can't say I've seen you around town though.....

The bride material will stretch....

10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Thanks, I don't go to meets all the time but I try to make it out when I can.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 PM   #11
Eoken
Zilvia Member

I found a digital cluster which would not power on so I sent it to superwowfactory for repairs.

I replaced my door with one that is better condition and could be made perfect when the time comes for paint.

Thing come apart for more improvements!

Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 AM   #12
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Here is a little sneak preview of my new digital climate control. (I just wired up the power for this picture only)

covered in suede and hole made for sunload sensor

other interior bits and bobs covered in suede.

Minor epoxy repair to a chipped edge on the Heads up display trim.

Here is a better look at the climate control unit in the sunlight

Hooking up all the sensors and testing the motor.

It works!! but it seems like it is always on dim mode and it is impossible to see in the daylight while driving. I will have to go back and check my wires again sometime... I noticed that it brightens up when I turn the car off and turn the key to pull it out. very strange behavior that I am still trying to understand to this day.

Getting fresh gas as it has not been out for a while

Key ring light! I got this off of a Nissan in the junk yard and modified my trim piece to fit.

Digital cluster is working! thank you superwowfactory!

Dash is getting some love filling in those cracks and sanding.

Cutting dash for Heads up display. I found a template online that was very helpful.

Heads up display wrapped in suede after the epoxy repair. Looks killer!

All smooth and ready to be wrapped.

Type-X tail lights! One of my favorite things about S13 hatchbacks.

Wrapping the dash turned out to be very difficult and time consuming. I worked on it on and off for a few weeks. I was not able to cover the whole thing with one piece so I had to decide where the best places to cut it would be. besides some very minor wrinkles and bubbles it looks much better than before.

Carpet comes out while I have the dash out I got the carpet from http://www.stockinteriors.com/

I bought this cross brace from someone on Facebok which I planned to double up as a harness bar.

Cleaned up the cluster surround and found a few plugs for buttons I no longer needed.

I re-keyed all of my locks to match my key set that came with the Type-X Tail lights. This was pretty fun! I had to have a locksmith do my ignition because I could not figure out how to get it open lol.

Here is just a quick side by side of the 350Z dead pedal and the custom S13.

New carpet installed in the rear!

Pioneer head unit I found on eBay for a really really good price!

By playing with the stock radio mounts I can get it sitting in place with very little gap around it. It looks perfect!

Some final cuts I made in my new carpet to finish installing everything back in place.

Swapped my gas cap door for one that was in better shape.

Time to start gathering the parts for the outside of the car! (the brakes squeaked very bad and did not work very well. the old bald tires did not help either). Something had to be done!

Last edited by Eoken; 07-28-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #13
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Dash goes in! looking amazing compared to before! Like I said not perfect but it makes me very happy.

Nice mile stone as everything comes back together and works!

Had a hard time with the center console but it turned out decent. There are a few spots that are not perfect but over all it is looking super.

(in the bathroom for better lighting hahaha)

I put in my old OEM 350Z mats since they where much better than the ones the car came with. I may just keep them in there lol.

console looks great too!

Carpet looking fresh!

It's always fun doodling on your dash lol

Shorted intake to avoid sucking up water.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:26 AM   #14
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Nice start... Suede all things
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
looks real good man. GOing to to do the same with the dash.
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Wicked work man. Keep on pimpin'.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Eoken
Zilvia Member

For the satellite antenna right on top of the center vent ducting and it works perfectly

After wiring all my speakers up and locating a mic in the old automatic seat belt track for the hands free blue tooth the unit goes in! (I tested it with one of my favorite DVDs)

Unfortunately the pioneer using your predicted vehicle speed to disable the DVD (which is a good thing I guess except your passenger) I was able to disable this on my Clarion unit in my 350Z but the same did not apply to this one.

It was a big improvement from this!!

I made some fresh speaker mounts out of MDF. The old ones look like the humidity had gotten to them.

When I installed the S15 steering wheel the horn did not work because there was no way for it to make contact with the copper pins. I purchased a cheap boss kit from eBay and robber the clock spring off of it and retro fitted away! lol

I picked up a pair of cloth seats from the Junk Yard and cleaned at patched them up.

I then dyed them black with dupicolor's spray on dye. It made the fabric very stiff but that is ok because no one will be sitting back there anyways lol.

I then made inserts out of bride fabric and used 3M 90 spray adhesive to attach them.

The end result was really awesome and fresh looking! especially considering I glued them together XD

I little doodling in class lol

Sparco harnesses

The collection of parts grows bigger!

and bigger...

My awesome girlfriend made me this Photoshop cake with one of my heros on it! I had to share it lol

I got my new wheels in so I took a few fun photos lol.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #18
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Sister backed into me... looks like the only damage was minor core support which I manage to fix and to the hood and hood latch. luckally I have plans for another hood anyways. still a pretty sad day, but the build continues!

Awesome eBay seller made me a set of custom blue lights.

hahahaha my cat Muffin helping me do an oil change on the Z

Old 07-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #19
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
How hard did she back into your car?! Christ.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #20
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Nice build! If you don't mind me asking, how much was the HUD repair?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #21
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
How hard did she back into your car?! Christ.
It happens. My mom backed her new Lexus into my first s14. Good times.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Nice build! If you don't mind me asking, how much was the HUD repair?
I think it was $125. They do not have it posted anymore but you might be able to email them and see if they can still do it.

https://superwowfactory.com/shop/pro...gory/services/
Old 07-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #23
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Found a OEM Nissan strut bar that was a factory option for the 180sx thanks to Nismojunkyard.com. I have not seen too many of them for sale so I think it is pretty rare. It is very thick and very lightweight! I love how it looks in the bay!

Comparison next to my old front strut tower brace.

After a long time looking I found a used Trust DD exhaust. It was in pretty sad shape but I cleaned it up best I could with the tools I had. One of the baffles is stuck in the exit pipe and I can't get it out haha. It is something I have always wanted though

New cobra down pipe with a flex pipe. The tubular manifold that come with my car cracked. I think it was because there was no flex joint and the mount to the transmission cross member was missing. I purchased a used Signal Auto tubular manifold which was thicker and stronger but moved my turbo back a little bit so I will need to shorted the cat. delete pipe I am using so the exhaust hangs correctly (no biggy)

The proportions are pretty nice. These pipes are very close to 3.5 inches in diameter. I also like the look of 4 inch shot gun pipes.

very exciting day!

Pretty cool finish! I like how much depth it has.

Some harness mounts available on evasivemotorsports. They are very easy to use!

The pair.

No contest.

I could not wait to get them in and take it for a test drive!

The car will not idle with out giving it a little gas from a cold start if the ambient temp outside is not 100 degrees or more. I have check the Maf signal, CAS signal, TPS, check for intake leaks... ect. it is like starting my carbed motorcycle with no chock. I think maybe before I bought it when the previous owner sucked up the water It messed up the idle air control valve (I have already replaced the MAF). It sometimes only runs on one cylinder for a few seconds and sounds absolutely horrible lol. I will have to replace the idle air control valve one day and see if it fixes the problem.

it also dies when it is warm sometime right after I come off of the throttle and i put in the clutch, but only on occasion. I think this is due to the same problem.

anyways I was inspecting my intake pipes and decided to clean my throttle body! this improved the throttle response slightly

Some nice pictures in the daylight of how the car was at this point.

I have been looking for this Garage-S hood since before I have owned the car... It was so nice when Japan Parts Service sent me a message on Zilvia and said they had one in stock. It was very worn with two major defects but it was the only one I could find in the United States with just over two years of looking. Sadly UPS damaged it even more when they shipped it! it is in a pretty sad shape but I plan of fixing it up like new after I get all the body parts I want.

It is extremely light dude to the carbon fiber construction but very flimsy due to the structural damage that it has.

The previous owner in japan probably cut this hole for a Greddy intake.

The bracing structure underneath which is fiberglass needs to be re-bonded to the hood itself

it has various cracks around that need to be reinforced with carbon fiber or fiberglass underneath. I will do fiberglass since I am planning on painting it black anyways.

Got a slide hammer, sledge hammer, and 4x4 and pulled out and leveled the core support. Now it straight again and will look normal when painted.

I am not sure why this rectangular hole was cut and then patched with fiberglass but it changed the couture of the hood which should match the shape of the valve cover underneath on the SR20. due to the thickness of the fiberglass and the altered shape it was making contact with the valve cover and bowing the hood up at that point changing how it lined up. This area will need to be completely reworked to get the old shape and clearance with the valve cover back.

Last edited by Eoken; 03-11-2017 at 09:18 PM..
Old 07-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #24
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Found some S13 Ganadors with blue tinted mirrors

They looked a little funny at first because they appear smaller but after you get used to it they are very nice looking super happy I found some!

The parts are still continuing to pile up!

My old bold tire with a slow leak rode on its side wall and completely ripped it all the way around. luckily I was only going about 30mph when this happened. My S13 was going on strike and demanded that fresh rubber be put on! sadly I would not be able to drive it for about 2 months while I saved up for the rest of the parts needed for what I wanted to do.

I removed the tint all around so the black parts on the rear quarter glasses would show (I love this look). You can also see the nice interior from the back now It does get hot in Texas but I keep it in the garage most of the time so It is not too big of a deal.

StopTech rotors.

all the parts are ready!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #25
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoken View Post
Not how I saw this coming along with the first installment...

Old 07-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #26
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Damn TX kid shining
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #27
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
Not how I saw this coming along with the first installment...

Haha I love my dollar arcade button XD
Old 07-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #28
300ztt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
300ztt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dude the interior came out fucking awesome! and yeah the post above me are on point lol. first mod had me like wtf.
300ztt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #29
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
whoa. this thread delivers!!!! i like the direction you're heading. clean and detailed!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #30
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Maverick Motorsports duel caliper brackets. I found out the hard way you need to start the bottom bolt that holds on the second caliper before you finish tightening the four bolts that hold the bracket on... otherwise it will not clear the knuckle.

At this point I just put the wheel on as a preview because I could not figure out how to fully attach the second caliper lol.

Well excuuuuuuuse me!!!

sad day! when I started my car the speedo when crazy and looked like this. I did not catch it on camera but it looked like cracks ran across the bottom and it glew very brightly. now the bottom of the display is burned out :'( not sure what caused this. the red lines sometimes come back on start up but go away shortly after. I will try to fix this but not for a while as I am not sure what the problem is. I might just replace it and break another one.

I made a custom hand brake out of a $30.00 sword. I used a Wilwood master cylinder and a PBM bracket.

I then welded up a bracket to mount it without having to cut any interior pieces.

after much trial and error I found the perfect spot for it!

First welding project!

I love welding! It is so much fun!

I added in an extra bolt to help spread the load and not bend the sheet metal on my transmission tunnel. The long L shape bracket also spreads the load pretty well. (this made a big difference but there is still room for improvement with my design so I will revisit it again! but for now it works. I will add another side support in the future.

Small reinforcement plate underneath to spared the load of the bolt.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps7axs3htr.jpg

I adjusted the angle back after a few weeks to reach it easier. but here is a good preview.

A little paint on the bracket.

275 wide tires lookin' good.

Angle grinder + welding + auto seam sealer.

Nismo coppermix clutch, pressure plate, and an S15 autech flywheel (I think). I got this in a deal with a S15 six speed transmission and an aluminum driveshaft I can shorten to fit my car. I could not turn down the deal for $300! I just have to buy an S15 trans. cross member and possibly a different clutch set up that is sprung.

I also need to somehow transfer over my speed senor gear.

+Stock S15 shifter I will need to get a S15 shift knob because it is a different thread pitch.

I don't like the feel of the short shifter that is on my five speed at all. >. >

Front set up is on!