Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
BakemonoRicer

Trader Rating: (0)
BakemonoRicer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nissan s15 ronin build

Hello everyone,

Basically I have been documenting a build thread on JDMST over the past several months for my S15. Progress has been slow...but one day, I will get there. I will copy it to here until it is up to date.

Update #1 - 12-09-12 01:53 AM

Picked up a stock standard example after looking for several months. It is 100% straight, all original panels and all original paint. There are lots of accident damaged S15's out there unfortunately so it usually takes a while to find a nice one (if you know what you're looking for).

And the infamous Initial D episode...

My main focus is response and handling. The tuning concept for the car is "Bakemono" - which basically means monster or ghost - and sort of like an evil spirit. The build will predominately utilise Japanese parts.

So in other words, the car is being built for a purpose, that is, it will be a sleeper. There will be little focus placed on aesthetics. The car will be left looking relatively stock on the outside so I don't draw attention (attention can be good, but it can also be bad and come from the wrong people).

I've got a stack of parts waiting to be installed, but here is the most recent arrival.

I have some more stuff in transit from Japan at the moment and some other current inventories.

Will update the thread every so often once things begin progressing.

Last edited by BakemonoRicer; 06-25-2016 at 07:05 PM..
BakemonoRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
BakemonoRicer

Update #2: 12-09-12 11:53 AM

Had my first proper look at my recent package and the quality is phenomenal.

Especially impressed with the HKS Hipermax III Coilovers, definately worth the money. Unfortunately, I believe they have been discontinued now.

Front set.

Rear set.

HKS Tool Kit (came with the coilovers). I like how they threw in some zipties haha.

Rear upper camber arms are the pillow type. For the Rear Toe Adjustor Rods and Tension Rods, I elected to go with the rubber bush type as this car will be predominately street-driven. The rubber bush ends will be quieter and won't wear out as fast, and they have slight play in them due to the flex of the rubber (which is actually ideal for the street).

Rear Toe Adjustor Rods

Tension Rods (aka Front Castor Rods).

Rear Upper Camber Arms

Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Always down to watch an S15 build! Looks like your off to a good start with some sick parts.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
BakemonoRicer

Update #3 - 17-09-12 09:00 PM

This arrived today

Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
BakemonoRicer

Update #4 - 18-09-12 07:59 PM

Here are the contents of the package...

Top Secret Shift Knob

HKS Hi-Power Silent Exhaust

Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
S15 build? Sign me up.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
1990 sr hatch
Zilvia Member

1990 sr hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribed
1990 sr hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Miguelone
Zilvia Member

Miguelone is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL, Hay Benji
Miguelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I'm loving the part selection so far. I have HKS Hipermax II's and definitely been thinking about getting the III's.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quality stuff here.
JIMB0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
WristWork
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
WristWork is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Very good start with those parts.
WristWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I've seen your build over on JDMST, glad to see that you've made your way over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
S15 build? Sign me up.
Co-signed!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
Mrjbrown07
Leaky Injector

Mrjbrown07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gotta love a quality build. Especially when its a very clean s15
Mrjbrown07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
BakemonoRicer

Backtrack to July 2012 and I'd attended a trackday at Wakefield Park Racetrack in Goulborn. At this point I was on my Green P's licence, which means it's illegal to drive a turbocharged car on the street (you lose your licence and get hit with a $2000+ if you get caught). So I got my Dad to drive the car to the racetrack, and I had an absolute blast....it was my first time driving the car and my first time on the racetrack. I ended the day with metal on metal brakes. To make matters worse on the way back home passing through Sydney we got caught in peak hour traffic lol.

Here is a video of one of my laps at Wakefield...the car is 100% stock here and no modifications have been installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYMAUVCzf8

Around October 2012, my Tomei N2 Oil Pan arrived from Japan. Little did I know that down the track this would cause me a bit of a problem...

Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
BakemonoRicer

So anyway, by the 27th October, 2012... I'd obtained my Full Licence meaning it is now legal for me to drive the car on the street.

To get the car on the road, I went with RDA Slotted/Dimpled Rotors and EBC Greenstuff brake pads. I remember at this point I was practicing my heel and toe downshift technique quite a bit. It was very challenging initially given I am fairly tall (6"3'), so I had to modify my technique to minimise contact with the steering wheel and also work out the most ideal foot position etc. As of now my heel/toe downshift technique has gotten quite good, but even now the technique hasn't been mastered.

The upgrades were a big improvement over what was previously on the car, and stopping power increased quite noticeably..

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
BakemonoRicer

By April 2013, a mate had helped me install the Tomei N2 Oil Pan...

After some spirited driving a few days after the install, I noticed I had an oil weep which was coming from the Tomei oil pan....there was a noticeable amount on the bottom of the pan and below the flange.

I showed my mate who helped install it, and then a mechanic, and at this point it was thought to be problems with the welding had caused this. The installation of the pan was NOT thought to be the cause.

Tomei was contacted and a bulkload of pictures provided with an explanation of the problem, and they said that they'd like me to send the pan back so they can test it to confirm if its a manufacturing defect. They mentioned they are willing to replace it if it is a defect, but shipping costs to Japan and back to Australia are my responsibility.

Here are some pictures of the oil pan from where the problem was thought to be coming from...

Front of the oil pan where there is also oil residue.

Cleaned the big patch of oil at the bottom of the pan, and then this is after half an hours worth of fairly normal driving...

Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
rich...informore
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Ugh that's no good. I just placed an order for a Tomei pan...
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
WristWork
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
WristWork is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Sucks about the oil pan, sucks even more that you have to pay shipping. They should reimburse your shipping
WristWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
I was thinking about getting a Tomei Pan also, keep us updated with how this goes, I have other Tomei stuff and no problems yet and always loved the quality

I love S15's, the end of the year they become legal here so I will be placing an order for my Spec R. for now I will be subscribing to your thread and living vicariously through you
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
BakemonoRicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
rich...informore
Lol, I wish. More like blowing every cent of my earnings on my car =P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Ugh that's no good. I just placed an order for a Tomei pan...
There's been a few complaints arising about the Tomei N2 oil pans lately. Quite strange considering Tomei are supposed to have a reputation for quality.

Anyway, the old MSRP for the n2 oil pan used to be $790, however, about 3 years ago the MSRP was reduced to $390 I believe. Quite a significant price drop..

Here is a bit of food for thought, some Japanese companies have started outsourcing production for some of their items to China. I guess it's a sign of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eardize View Post
Sucks about the oil pan, sucks even more that you have to pay shipping. They should reimburse your shipping
It's because I bought my oil pan directly from Japan (to save myself some money). So shipping is my responsibility seeing as there are local Tomei dealers in Australia whom I could have bought the oil pan off, make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
I was thinking about getting a Tomei Pan also, keep us updated with how this goes, I have other Tomei stuff and no problems yet and always loved the quality

I love S15's, the end of the year they become legal here so I will be placing an order for my Spec R. for now I will be subscribing to your thread and living vicariously through you
Lol yeah awesome, the S15 is a great car. The styling of the car is timeless - will always look like a classic, yet modern sports car.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Who did you guys order through? Contact them. Granted, my issue was with a cheap Duracon shift knob, but when I got it it looked like it had etch marks all around it so I contacted FRSport, who contacted Tomei, and they took care of all of. Sent me a shipping label to send the old one back and sent a new one pretty quick.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
BakemonoRicer

Yeah Hoffman, your shipping costs would of been taken care of as you bought your item through a local dealer.

I bought my oil pan direct from Japan through Jesse Streeter, so as far as Tomei is concerned, Jesse is basically the customer. Anyway, Jesse has been nothing but helpful in the whole process and his customer service has been excellent.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #24
BakemonoRicer

April 2013.

The coilovers and alignment arms were installed (with MUCHHH thanks to my mate).....all bushes were reset as necessary to allow for the new coilovers and ride height. The factory bolts were actually veryyy hard to get off....(but keep in mind this is a 100% stock car that I've started with). It took roughly 10 hours.

Front coilovers installed (including Ikeya formula front castor and cusco tension bar).

Noticed a smidge of surface rust on the rear camber arm near the weld where a touch of paint was missing....wire brush + primer/black paint = problem fixed.. notasinglefkwasgiven.

Progress..

Rear coilovers installed, including Ikeya Formula rear camber arms (pillow-type) and Ikeya Formula rear toe arms (bush-type).

After a few adjustments and some trial and error, the ride height was sorted. Very happy with how its sitting, and at this height the control arms are almost bang-on parallel with the ground.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loved that episode of Initial D, so im subb'ed
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
no offense, did you even lower it ? it looks like factory ride height int he last pic ?

I'm not saying to slam it like I did to mine but maybe lower it 1.5" to take the wheel gap out of the front and rear. this will improve the look, still give you lots of suspension travel and ease of going anywhere. and maybe help satisfy your unhapiness of how it sits ?
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
All the awesome parts were totally cool and then the pic of the car with all the parts just resulted in me doing this.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakemonoRicer View Post
There's been a few complaints arising about the Tomei N2 oil pans lately. Quite strange considering Tomei are supposed to have a reputation for quality.

Anyway, the old MSRP for the n2 oil pan used to be $790, however, about 3 years ago the MSRP was reduced to $390 I believe. Quite a significant price drop..

Here is a bit of food for thought, some Japanese companies have started outsourcing production for some of their items to China. I guess it's a sign of the times.
Yeah, I had heard that they had moved a few things off shore... I'm interested (and now invested) in the outcome of this. Here's hoping that they take care of you.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
BakemonoRicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
no offense, did you even lower it ? it looks like factory ride height int he last pic ?

I'm not saying to slam it like I did to mine but maybe lower it 1.5" to take the wheel gap out of the front and rear. this will improve the look, still give you lots of suspension travel and ease of going anywhere. and maybe help satisfy your unhapiness of how it sits ?
I think you must have misread my post, I said I was happy with how it's sitting haha.

It takes a while for the springs to settle in then it drops a little bit extra....here is a picture of the car from 2 weeks after the install. I might lower it just a touch more from where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
All the awesome parts were totally cool and then the pic of the car with all the parts just resulted in me doing this.
Lol. I understand your disappointment, but the purpose of the car is for it to be a sleeper. I don't exactly want people to look and instantly know that I'm running an aftermarket suspension set-up.

I'm trying to keep my modifications fairly low-key to do my best to avoid the wrong sort of attention. The police over here really don't like modified cars, so I think it's best I keep things stealth. Over here, you can get hit with a defect notice for having adjustable coilovers. To clear the defect, you would have to pay the fine, reinstall the stock struts and take it for an inspection to get cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Yeah, I had heard that they had moved a few things off shore... I'm interested (and now invested) in the outcome of this. Here's hoping that they take care of you.
I have a couple more posts yet to come which details the tests we ran on the pan locally before I sent it off to Japan. Will update the thread soon.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #30
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakemonoRicer View Post
Lol. I understand your disappointment, but the purpose of the car is for it to be a sleeper. I don't exactly want people to look and instantly know that I'm running an aftermarket suspension set-up.
Australia, the only place worse than California to own a modified car.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote