Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
cheekanuble

Trader Rating: (0)
cheekanuble is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RHD to LHD conversion (yes)

Hi guys,

Before you say anything, I have used the search button and tried to find a thread that talked about RHD to LHD conversions.
I only found threads about people wanting to do the opposite...lol

SO! I live in Quebec, and here vehicles 25 years or more are allowed to be driven RHD ( I sent an email to the SAAQ, the people responsible for those laws, if you want I can keep you up to date ).
subsequently, I'm not allowed to import a sick ass silvia, or a mark 2 with a 1jz, or a fairlady twin turbo (jizz) or a 180sx.
It's got me contemplating buying a civic type R guys, I've reached rock bottom.

I wanted to know if those conversions were possible, if it was legal, if I could do it myself ( I'm doing my mechanics trade in september and will be looking to purchase the car around spring, I just need to save up some cash... and go to mexico before that... yeah it's cold up here, fuck yall)

Because, with shipping a car would cost me around 4-5k. Which is much more affordable than those bitch ass selling these ghetto ass, filthy 240sx with human slime in it.

HELP ME OUT. ( I thought about buying the 240sx and converting it... not interested in that, 240sx here cost too much, even scrapped)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
KiwiZenki
Leaky Injector

KiwiZenki is an unknown quantity at this point
My car's LHD, 4-5k for shipping? Save yourself some money and pay me 8k to drive it up to you
Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
cheekanuble

NOOOO 4-5k is shipping and the car altogether, delivered to my front door.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
KiwiZenki
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekanuble View Post
NOOOO 4-5k is shipping and the car altogether, delivered to my front door.
My SE is from Canada, not giving it back anyways Get LHD steering parts etc. and follow the opposite of the conversion write ups for LHD>RHD I'd think.
Check pricing in those threads.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
cheekanuble

Man I'm gonna need like, the whole dash, and center console. What worries me the most is if I have to make modifications or alterations to the firewall, I'll have to get it further inspected by like an engineer or some shit and after all that work I might not even be able to plate it... So I definately do not want to mess around with that stuff.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
How hard can it be to plate in holes on right side. Weld on a flat plate where steering wheel goes open new one on. Insert your steering wheel. Attach pedals.... What?? done.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
cheekanuble

Well, there are safety issues, my car'll need to be inspected by an engineer or some shit for one.
Also, I'll have to find s15 dashboards with lhd which is impossible if I'm to get a better model.
There's also the money factor, and the fact that I don't have the experience or the confidence to fuck with the core of my car, this firewall's the thing protecting me from death man..
I'll need, a new dashboard, center console, heating control( I think can be modded) then there's the pedals that have to be changed, the hood/trunk lever, the window, mirror controls. It's not as simple as it looks, it requires a lot more electrical and technical work than just fixing an engine or putting on an exhaust.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
KiwiZenki
Leaky Injector

Sounds like you're not up to the job. Not saying I would be myself but look at those threads, they must have information on the firewall too.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
J3123MY
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
buy the civic lol.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
G5SR20240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
G5SR20240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Pick a different hobby
Old 06-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You don't sound like you really want to do it as bad as the first post says you do.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #12
cheekanuble

Well thank you guys for this helpful hindsight. Sounds like you guys had a bad day.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
suspectu1

suspectu1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't see why there's a post about a civic in a Nissan forum, but i'll help you out because we're both from Mtl.
First start by finding all the parts needed and THEN buy the car. Car comes in last.

step 1. Find a firewall from a LHD civic of the same year, drill out the spot welds (buy Eastwood's spot weld cutter) and take it out nicely.
step 2. find a power steering rack from a LHD civic
step 3. get the dash AND dash support bar from a LHD civic (the bar will help mount your pedals to the correct location)
step 4. you might also need full custom AN power steering lines (donno much about the civic type r, so you're on your own there)
step 5. get the car

put all the parts in the new car in the order above. make sure to remove the RHD firewall by drilling spot welds not fuckin angle grinding. Spot weld LHD firewall and your 50% there!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
s14boy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (26)
s14boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
very simple... fire wall swap or you can do it the cheap and easier way by just cutting new holes in the fire wall for lhd or rhd(because im lost as what your trying to do) also no one above seemed like they are "having a bad day" they were just simply interpriting your posts because the first seemed like you really wanted to do this then you started noting costs and saying its going to be a very costly swap and hard to do. dont mess with a conversion if you dont have the resources to do it correctly. my advice from your posts would be to not to do it and get a nice running car.

-Mike
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't understand why your car needs to 25yrs or older? Theres a ton of rhd cars up there all aircared and owned with paper work. Actually this year from what I've seen is the first to be able to import the first year r34's wich can be had for 10-15k up there.
Are the laws differnt from the Quebec side to Vancouver side? Look at the craigslist in Vancouver, there's tons of imports over there from skyline ( r32 can be had for 5k) and tons other all RHD
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
cheekanuble

Yes the laws are different in QC. We are the only province to have a 25 year + rule for RHD import car, the rest of Canada is 15 years +. I have sent a message to the SAAQ and they told me the rhd to lhd conversion is legal and can be accepted but it might require an inspection paper from an engineer because it'll be inspected as a modified car. I think the ideas above (complete firewall swap instead of drilling and welding the existing rhd one) actually spare you from doing that because the firewall remains untouched.
Also I asked them about the 25 year rule and yes, any car 25 years old and over that is RHD can be driven as a daily driven car in Quebec. That is all confirmed information.

As for the car now, Im not gonna get a civic. I was making a joke.
I calculated the costs of having a silvia imported to here and it was about 4000$ + the price of the car at the auction, which isn't so bad.

I have found an alternative though. I will buy me a cheap daily driver for the moment, buy me a wrecked 240sx from a scrap yard in USA that is only superficially damaged with its frame and main components rust and damage free.
I will store it in my garage and work on it here and there, fitting a sr20 in it with proper modifications.

That project is much more affordable and interesting as I can use the car as a project and kind of a homework to do while I finish up my school
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
cheekanuble

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectu1 View Post
i don't see why there's a post about a civic in a Nissan forum, but i'll help you out because we're both from Mtl.
First start by finding all the parts needed and THEN buy the car. Car comes in last.

step 1. Find a firewall from a LHD civic of the same year, drill out the spot welds (buy Eastwood's spot weld cutter) and take it out nicely.
step 3. get the dash AND dash support bar from a LHD civic (the bar will help mount your pedals to the correct location)
step 4. you might also need full custom AN power steering lines (donno much about the civic type r, so you're on your own there)
step 5. get the car

put all the parts in the new car in the order above. make sure to remove the RHD firewall by drilling spot welds not fuckin angle grinding. Spot weld LHD firewall and your 50% there!
thanks for actually giving good advice!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
driftinCleen

Trader Rating: (1)
driftinCleen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
friend of mine just did a RHD swap. if your up for all that work or you have money for all that work then go for it. but i would never in my life, after seeing what he went through, convert a car LHD or RHD. too much hassle. my advice would be to buy a LHD shell and swap everything over to it, then sell the RHD shell to someone for lots o money. u come out on top and happy
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
cheekanuble

Yes ! that's what I was thinking about doing. Although options are quite limited especially in this province as for lhd shells that are available, it still is a quite interesting project.

I've thought about finding a decent civic HB EG shell and having a Type R hb shipped over here from japan.
The small size of the car means the shipping cost will be lower, most parts are easily swappable and there's plenty of them. As well as getting a good little car.

Option number 2 would be finding a decent, rust free 240sx shell over here which is a kind of a needle in a haystack thing, I'd have to be really lucky to find one with minimum rust and a decent frame on it.
Then, have a s13-s14 shipped (with an SR in it, that's a must) and swap everything. This option is a bit more pricy and requires a bit more luck but it's feasible if I find the right shell indeed.

These are all projects that can be done for under 10k and are very interesting to spend time on as soon as the engine and body swap is done, the fun part really begins!

LHD to RHD swap can also be done here and I have heard that some garages won't even mention it has been done at the inspection.
The thing I am concerned is that since I don't know anything about welding and I have someone else weld some stuff in the firewall and it gives up on me on the highway at 120 I MIGHT be regretting making the swap. I'm a bit of a pussy on that matter.

Safety first kids
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
JerseyBoi95

JerseyBoi95 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're importing a RHD car and then considering converting it to LHD why even bother? We know you can't find LHD bodies in your province, but have you ever considered importing a LHD 240sx from America? They're a dime a dozen down here. By the time you were import a RHD car, convert it to LHD, you're already spent a lot more for just the shipping costs as if you were to get a cheaper 240sx here. Shipping across the U.S. border is far cheaper than shipping across the Pacific. Also much cheaper to get an SR swap into that car. No expensive shipping, and no complicated firewall conversion.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #21
cheekanuble

Where from though? And shipping from for example alabama is close to 3000 btw, so its pretty comparable.. If you know a company that ships to quebec for cheap let me know!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Just move.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
So basically you want to import an RHD car that isn't legal to drive, convert it to LHD so you can "appear" to be abiding the providence laws of driving a LHD car? Yeah, they won't figure that one out...

Stupid thread is stupid.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
cheekanuble

I'm just astonished by your helpfulness.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
And we all are amused by your idiocy... You're asking questions to a conversion you don't have the tools, skills or intelligence to pull off.

Best of luck to you and a waste of money...
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #26
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'm just astonished by your helpfulness.
Want a LHD 300zx, RX7, S13/14, GS300, or Supra....

Buy one. Import it from the US if you have to.

Generally it's only the engine options that separate the USDM and the JDM stuff. When you start talking about GTRs and FTOs, well your shit out of luck as LHD parts don't exist.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #27
SimonW

SimonW is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectu1 View Post

step 5. get the car

Hi dude, why do you say a Honda of the same year?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Man I'm gonna need like, the whole dash, and center console. What worries me the most is if I have to make modifications or alterations to the firewall, I'll have to get it further inspected by like an engineer or some shit and after all that work I might not even be able to plate it... So I definately do not want to mess around with that stuff.
Troll post.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #29
SimonW

SimonW is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hi guys,

Before you say anything, I have used the search button and tried to find a thread that talked about RHD to LHD conversions.
I only found threads about people wanting to do the opposite...lol

SO! I live in Quebec, and here vehicles 25 years or more are allowed to be driven RHD ( I sent an email to the SAAQ, the people responsible for those laws, if you want I can keep you up to date ).
subsequently, I'm not allowed to import a sick ass silvia, or a mark 2 with a 1jz, or a fairlady twin turbo (jizz) or a 180sx.
It's got me contemplating buying a civic type R guys, I've reached rock bottom.

I wanted to know if those conversions were possible, if it was legal, if I could do it myself ( I'm doing my mechanics trade in september and will be looking to purchase the car around spring, I just need to save up some cash... and go to mexico before that... yeah it's cold up here, fuck yall)

Because, with shipping a car would cost me around 4-5k. Which is much more affordable than those bitch ass selling these ghetto ass, filthy 240sx with human slime in it.

HELP ME OUT. ( I thought about buying the 240sx and converting it... not interested in that, 240sx here cost too much, even scrapped)
I know this might seem weird as fuck, but I'm considering (r&d stage) doing the same thing and I was wondering if you could forward me that email possibly that you received from the SAAQ or at least their email so that I can do the same. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
cheekanuble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
I know this might seem weird as fuck, but I'm considering (r&d stage) doing the same thing and I was wondering if you could forward me that email possibly that you received from the SAAQ or at least their email so that I can do the same. Thanks!
Hi Simon! Absolutely ! I hope you speak french

Also, you might want to know, an engineer's report like he states can be in the thousands and upwards. Greedy *SNIP*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
And we all are amused by your idiocy... You're asking questions to a conversion you don't have the tools, skills or intelligence to pull off.

Best of luck to you and a waste of money...
It makes me sad to see people like you trying to bring everybody down around them because they couldn't do what they see other people do. Look, I'm sorry if you couldn't achieve whatever it is you wanted to achieve. I can clearly see that this upsets you to the point where you go out of your way, into people's threads to spread your negative bullshit around. I understand that, it's okay, but you might want to consider having a bowl of shut the fuck up next time. Kill yourself
Closed Thread