Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
rastaman
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rastaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RB tuning RB25 on Power FC

I'm trying to teach myself how to tune an rb25 with power fc. Is there any tutorial to learn how to tune the pfc for optimal performance? The engine has basic bolt on intake, exhaust, cams, front mount IC. Guys with power fc and rb25 how do you have your rb25 set up? I've looked at every video and read a lot of Google article on tuning rb25 on pfc but I'm trying to learn more how to use it. I know factory pfc settings should be fine, but I'm trying to make it better. Also when I do upgrade turbo and injectors I would know what to do. Is there a tuning for dummies ? how do you guys learn how to tune your cars? What's the best setup tune for rb25 with mild mods with pfc?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Don't do it without a dyno. If you can get a steady state dyno like a dyno dynamics or something, don't bother.

People take classes like efi university. You cannot street tune a car, you can only really fine tune it.... But there is a risk.

If you want to take a chance then, get a really good data logger like from innovate motorsports and take it on the road. But without a controlled environment, I wouldn't trust it.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I tune all my cars on the street first. You just need to know what you are doing.

Once my car is tuned, I take it to the dyno to fine tune the ignition timing only. Generally we arrive with the A/F ratio already nice and flat.

For timing, without an egt gauge, you should use the dyno. An RB25? I would start with around 8-9* btdc after 15psi on 93 octane. Take it to the dyno (assuming you have no EGT gauge on the manifold...) and add a few degrees and see what you pick up. If you dont gain a significant amount of output going from 8* to 12* for instance, then you don't need the additional timing.

if you DO have an egt gauge on the manifold, you can see by this how it will be affected by timing,

You are monitoring all details; you compare knock sensor voltage output "knock counts" both during WOT and during cruise and all other situations (such as when you lift your foot and the turbo compressor surges) this will give you an idea of how sensitive the knock sensor is. If you start adding timing and start to see big spikes in knock counts (from 14 to 66 all of the sudden, for instance) you are probably throwing too much spark advance at it.
This is just one sensor; you are also monitoring the maf/map voltage for noise, (how much does it bounce around, when boost is steady?) and the exhaust gas temperature (does it stay "cool" around 1300*F while you make 400rwhp?).

If you are in Florida and have a MAF sensor power FC I charge about $150 for one day of tuning (4-6 hours) and that will be good enough for most folks and good enough to use a dynometer the same day for peak power, however additional economy can be gained by data-logging and tuning the highway cruise regions for another 2-4 hours on a separate day.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I street tune/daily drive my rb on my nistune. advice I give is to have a wideband and it's safer to be rich than lean! and 14aftr is where you want to be for idle.....
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
See it down both ways, I think it come down to knowledge.

I had an HKS GT2535 with 525cc Inj, pro tuned car response was like stock but pulled way harder. If I were to do it again and stay bottom mount Id probably go with a GT2835. In a family car it was very streetable.

No idea about settings.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
rastaman
Zilvia Addict

rastaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I like the bottom mount idea..thanks for the input lots of great advice here..
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote