Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Sideways_blksr20
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
Sideways_blksr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Sideways_blksr20
Qtp

what do u guys think of this ,would u guys buy it or not i think its pretty kool
YouTube - 240sx sr20det w/ qtp electronic 3in exhaust cutout valve
eBay Motors: QTP QTEC30 3" Electric Exhaust Cutout Valve (item 140289661843 end time Jan-15-09 18:00:19 PST)
my friend has it on his wrx and sounds f@#!#ing sick
Sideways_blksr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Pank
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was hoping this post was about Q-Tips.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
APEX made something like that. It wasn't electronic though.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
If you really need to annoy the shit out of everyone at the track with an open header, then go for it.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Sideways_blksr20
Nissanaholic!

my friend has it in his wrx and its fucking sick you could hear the spooling of the turbo more and its so fucking loud but the kool think is that u could close it and open it wheneveer u want to
Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
i'ma throw one on the coupe.... when i'm at the track, or wanna be a asshole
YouTube - Toyota Supra TT HKS Exhaust with Cut-Out
2JZ sound > Sr Sound
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways_blksr20 View Post
you could hear the spooling of the turbo more
SWEET !!!
Can you hear the blow off valve better too!!!!!
Hope he got a after market blow off, even though he's boosting stock!!
Totally should get a FMIC even though he has no cooling problems either!!

Most guys at the track have a different muffler that they just quikly change to free up a little airflow.
Open header cars sound like crap. The exhaust line, even if just 3" straight pipe tones the sound alittle.
so If you want loud and sound, get a swap out muffler setup.
If you want HP, your not really gaining any with modern engines by doing this.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
SWEET !!!
Can you hear the blow off valve better too!!!!!
Hope he got a after market blow off, even though he's boosting stock!!
Totally should get a FMIC even though he has no cooling problems either!!

Most guys at the track have a different muffler that they just quikly change to free up a little airflow.
Open header cars sound like crap. The exhaust line, even if just 3" straight pipe tones the sound alittle.
you might be suprised.

i know it can help spool times, I know just putting a silencer in a HKS 3" exhaust on a single turbo supra can loose 42Rwhp and lost 500-600 rpm of spool
Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Sideways_blksr20
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
this.
but if u have this u could do it by just moving a switch from inside the car
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Sideways_blksr20
Nissanaholic!

YouTube - 89 240sx w/ sr20det and electronic exhaust cutout valve
Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
dynamicck
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Actually, what you could also do is run a 3 inch exhaust with a electronic cut out. Run the QTP on the exhaust system (inline), instead of having it exit to the atmosphere. It can act as a silencer. QTP sells a controller so you can have it partially open, or full open.

So essentially it is an electronic silencer. Only shitty thing...QTP is a 3 bolt. So you need to cut off exhaust flanges and weld on 3 bolt ones. Too close to the turbo, the less effective it would be. (i think)
dynamicck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
I ran a QTP cut out a few years ago. It was a great system. Be cautious though: some tracks require exhaust exits to go through a muffler if you plan on tracking.

Quote:
Actually, there will be huge HP gains over a stock exhaust. This is best used for a street car driven in an area where the law is not friendly with modified exhausts. It will allow you to run a stock cat back to not draw attention to the local police, but without sacrificing exhaust flow from just a click away.

What do you mean by modern engines? Despite all the new computer integration with many new cars (NOT including SR20DET), all fluid flow properties still remain in the piping system of the exhaust no matter what engine it is.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #13
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I ran a QTP cut out a few years ago. It was a great system. Be cautious though: some tracks require exhaust exits to go through a muffler if you plan on tracking.

Actually, there will be huge HP gains over a stock exhaust. This is best used for a street car driven in an area where the law is not friendly with modified exhausts. It will allow you to run a stock cat back to not draw attention to the local police, but without sacrificing exhaust flow from just a click away.

What do you mean by modern engines? Despite all the new computer integration with many new cars (NOT including SR20DET), all fluid flow properties still remain in the piping system of the exhaust no matter what engine it is.

The HP gain is almost unoticable imo.
The only time on my KA I felt it was in the higher speed range. Like acellerating on the freeway in mid 4th and 5th.
Most of us wont be tracking cars at that speed and Last time I checked, only fanboys are pretending to run the wangan.

I didnt feel a real difference during SCCA or drift events where you're never really over 3rd gear.
Removing my AC did more for me I felt (Throttle response and RPM's rise better).

Alot of people I know now run stock exhaust. myself included.

And the people that are running huge straight pipe setups at the track just get annoying. Everytime they come by it deafening to the spectators and makes our jobs as instructors harder as well.
SCCA also has limits on DB's.

When I say modern engines,
You used to be able to open up the header like the old hotrods from the 50's and really feel a difference. The whole freeflow theory. But modern engines aren't designed the same.

Its different having everything fuel injected with a MAF and vacum lines.

Its not a carborator on the top, and headers on the bottom, and the faster you get air in and out the better.
I've noticed that back pressure actually helps me in the lower end and lower gears on my KA.
As were my different datsun 510's, L16 and L22, did good with straight pipe exhaust and a weber carb.

once again, my from building and racing, mild datsun and nissan cars for 14 years.
I've gone back and forth on it. And found its just not worth the noise and headache.
The money and effort would be better used on headers if you want to work on your exhaust line.
And nowdays, the older guys in the know will tell you the HP gain for headers on a KA arent worth the $150.

[/quote]Actually, there will be huge HP gains over a stock exhaust.[/quote]
huge?? like,.....3hp?? 5hp?? 7hp?? anymore than 7 and your fooling yourself. advance or retard your dizzy depending on what racing your doing and you will feel more difference. (IMO)
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 AM   #14
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Sounds alittle to much like a muscle car if you ask me.. itll have ppl thinking you did an LS1 conversion or somting.

IDK, i dont think it would do much really.. probly screws with the A/F mixture when you open it. then you may need to be adjusting it do to the exhaust flow change...

Thats just me tho, do what you want. in a way it kinda sounds cool. it will deffinatly get attention thats forsure.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #15
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Quote:
The HP gain is almost unoticable imo.
The only time on my KA I felt it was in the higher speed range. Like acellerating on the freeway in mid 4th and 5th.
Most of us wont be tracking cars at that speed and Last time I checked, only fanboys are pretending to run the wangan.

I didnt feel a real difference during SCCA or drift events where you're never really over 3rd gear.
Removing my AC did more for me I felt (Throttle response and RPM's rise better).

Alot of people I know now run stock exhaust. myself included.

And the people that are running huge straight pipe setups at the track just get annoying. Everytime they come by it deafening to the spectators and makes our jobs as instructors harder as well.
SCCA also has limits on DB's.

When I say modern engines,
You used to be able to open up the header like the old hotrods from the 50's and really feel a difference. The whole freeflow theory. But modern engines aren't designed the same.

Its different having everything fuel injected with a MAF and vacum lines.

Its not a carborator on the top, and headers on the bottom, and the faster you get air in and out the better.
I've noticed that back pressure actually helps me in the lower end and lower gears on my KA.
As were my different datsun 510's, L16 and L22, did good with straight pipe exhaust and a weber carb.

once again, my from building and racing, mild datsun and nissan cars for 14 years.
I've gone back and forth on it. And found its just not worth the noise and headache.
The money and effort would be better used on headers if you want to work on your exhaust line.
And nowdays, the older guys in the know will tell you the HP gain for headers on a KA arent worth the $150.

Quote:
Actually, there will be huge HP gains over a stock exhaust.
huge?? like,.....3hp?? 5hp?? 7hp?? anymore than 7 and your fooling yourself. advance or retard your dizzy depending on what racing your doing and you will feel more difference. (IMO)
Sorry, i was assuming we were all talking about SR20DET or KA-T. Gains on a KA24DE won't be too noticeable, your correct lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #16
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
QTP cutouts are really good, my friend has a set of them on his gto for almost half a year now and they still work fine and dont leak. Which would be my biggest concern with getting an electric cutout.
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
Sounds alittle to much like a muscle car if you ask me.. itll have ppl thinking you did an LS1 conversion or somting.

IDK, i dont think it would do much really.. probly screws with the A/F mixture when you open it. then you may need to be adjusting it do to the exhaust flow change...

Thats just me tho, do what you want. in a way it kinda sounds cool. it will deffinatly get attention thats forsure.
Lol what??

No it wont make people think you have an LS1, they sound completley different.
I know on nasioc they showed gains of 6-7whp and a little faster spool on wrx's.
It doesn't mess with your AFR
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
i have one.

stock catback, cutout on the header.

negative attention from old ladies, not from cops.

got sick of the constant fear of getting busted with my 3" straight pipe.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
It USUALLY only messes with the afr on speed density cars.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Once it comes out, i will be running a Sound performance exhaust cutout. it works off boost (Somehow) But once it senses boost it opens up it will be nice on 400+ hp car.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
Once it comes out, i will be running a Sound performance exhaust cutout. it works off boost (Somehow) But once it senses boost it opens up it will be nice on 400+ hp car.
it probably dosn't sense anything. It most likely has a waste gate that actuates the butterfly valve for the cut out such like the ATP one:

when intake manifold pressure reaches its set "activation" pressure, the valve starts to open.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #22
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

yeah that could be too, i know they aren't saying much for another week or so.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
dynamicck
Zilvia Junkie

dynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to behold

Hobbs Switch, Boost Activated, Boost Level Adjustable: atpturbo.com

Please use this switch for methonal/alcohol injection. I've seen people use it for boost cut. I think there was a ka-t.org write up on it.

Run a Hobbs switch (boost activation switch) to a electronic cut out. once you hit a certain psi...it can electronically open the exhaust cut out.
dynamicck is offline   Reply With Quote