Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
TypeXFan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
TypeXFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Brand New PS Pump and still whines

Hey guys, just need some input on what to do, I have a 91 S13 with KA24DE. I recently replaced my PS system with a Chase Bays Kit. I had a bad pump, so I went ahead and bought a brand new one. I have zero leaks, and am using ATF for fluid. My problem is even after replacing everything the pump is still whining like crazy, far worse than the old pump. The belt is in good shape, im wondering if the issue behind the heavy whine is due to air pockets?? If so whats the best method of fixing that? And do you guys have any other thoughts on why it might be doing this?
TypeXFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Just to get the obvious stuff out of the way..the PS reservoir filled up?

To get the air bubbles out of the line after an install is to have the front end lifted so wheels are off the ground, and go full lock left to right until you no longer see air bubbles forming in the fluid reservoir. and also check belt tension, maybe it's too tight.

if non of those help, then your "new" pump is defective.[won't be the first time a brand new part has failed to work properly]
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
TypeXFan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
Just to get the obvious stuff out of the way..the PS reservoir filled up?

To get the air bubbles out of the line after an install is to have the front end lifted so wheels are off the ground, and go full lock left to right until you no longer see air bubbles forming in the fluid reservoir. and also check belt tension, maybe it's too tight.

if non of those help, then your "new" pump is defective.[won't be the first time a brand new part has failed to work properly]
The res is filled up a lil over half way. So im assuming the engine should be running when its off the ground? Ive read some people say the engine should be off when its done that way, and ive read some people saying to do it with the engine running. Ill check the belt tension, its possible we over did it on that.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Giuseppe@EnjukuRacing

Trader Rating: (0)
Giuseppe@EnjukuRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Giuseppe@EnjukuRacing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeXFan View Post
belt is in good shape
Had this same issue and my belts looked to be good but i replaced them either way and boom! noise was gone.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
TypeXFan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe@EnjukuRacing View Post
Had this same issue and my belts looked to be good but i replaced them either way and boom! noise was gone.
hmmm, it was definitely something I was considering buying new when I bought the new pump, if it comes down to it its only like $12ish, and wouldnt hurt to eliminate that out of the equation. Will buy a new one and put it on and see if it makes a difference, keep you guys up to date.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
LOVERboy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
LOVERboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LOVERboy
My friend did that chase bay set up and same thing happened. Can't get rid of it....

Sunny D.-
LOVERboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
engine should be running when bleeding the PS system, and the fluid level should be 2/3~3/4th from top, or go by the dip stick attached to the fill cap.

and I completely misread anything on chasebay, I have never used their parts so I wouldn't know how to fix this problem if the problem pertains with chasebay parts.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Belts, had the same issue. I thought my pump was shot, turned out the brand new belts, that were tight, were still slipping.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
TypeXFan
Leaky Injector

So I loosened the belt over the weekend, which helped a lil bit, but didnt take the whine entirely away, so I read that with the chase bay kit im supposed to turn the wheel lock to lock in excess of 40 times with the oil cooler. So I filled up the reservior and went to work on the wheel, finally went away. Thanks for the helpful tips guys.