Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States DC, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
sXe240

Trader Rating: (0)
sXe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help in NJ

Embarrassing as it is to admit... I just bought my 240 and it came with a stage 3 clutch. Sadly it is kicking my ass learning how to drive it. Any advice or if any of you guys in NJ could help teach me I'd be super appreciative
sXe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
NY2NV Miner
Leaky Injector

NY2NV Miner is an unknown quantity at this point
My clutch is really aggressive as well. Just take your time and focus on smooth slow shifts. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Practice on making smooth shifts. Engaging slow and figuring out where you clutch connects. Speed will come when you get used to the engagement point. Don't worry about speed, it will come.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
sXe240

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2NV Miner View Post
My clutch is really aggressive as well. Just take your time and focus on smooth slow shifts. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Practice on making smooth shifts. Engaging slow and figuring out where you clutch connects. Speed will come when you get used to the engagement point. Don't worry about speed, it will come.
Thanks for the honest kind response. It was much appreciated. I'm getting a lot better at it now. I literally learned how to drive manual in this car. I figured it was now or never otherwise I would have missed out buying my s14.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
NY2NV Miner
Leaky Injector

NY2NV Miner is an unknown quantity at this point
It's cool that you learned on your s14 (drop a pic). I learned on my Mom's Saturn. It wasn't the coolest car but it worked.

Anyways glad you appreciated the response. Sometimes car people are amazing and sometimes they are difficult to get simple answers out of. Glad to be a help.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:09 AM   #5
sXe240

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2NV Miner View Post
It's cool that you learned on your s14 (drop a pic). I learned on my Mom's Saturn. It wasn't the coolest car but it worked.

Anyways glad you appreciated the response. Sometimes car people are amazing and sometimes they are difficult to get simple answers out of. Glad to be a help.
Haha yeah it was one hell of an embarrassing process (probably stalled a thousand times). I wish I had a beater to learn on but wasn't worth spending money jut to learn.

Of course not too many people are as friendly on here it seems. Too bad you weren't closer we could meet up.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
KrisLN

KrisLN is an unknown quantity at this point
honestly, best thing you could do is start in a big empty parking lot and just start and stop over and over. You'll start to feel exactly where the clutch engages and that's key to getting better. Practice first starting going straight, then when you get comfortable, start practicing starting and turning, like you're turning left or right from a stop sign, because the extra strain from the power steering can make the car rev a little differently. Also in the lot try to if possible practice starting uphill and downhill too. Uphill starts will be the hardest and scariest when you have some Karen in her leased Maserati on your ass at a stoplight. You can also use your ebrake in a sketchy situation to stop from rolling backwards until you feel the clutch start to engage and then release it. Once you get starting down, just drive and drive and drive. The more you drive it'll become second nature. Try your best to be smooth and you'll only improve.
KrisLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
eldora

eldora is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisLN View Post
honestly, best thing you could do is start in a big empty parking lot and just start and stop over and over. You'll start to feel exactly where the clutch engages and that's key to getting better. Practice first starting going straight, then when you get comfortable, start practicing starting and turning, like you're turning left or right from a stop sign, because the extra strain from the power steering can make the car rev a little differently. Also in the lot try to if possible practice starting uphill and downhill too. Uphill starts will be the hardest and scariest when you have some Karen in her leased Maserati on your ass at a stoplight. You can also use your mouse clicker ebrake in a sketchy situation to stop from rolling backwards until you feel the clutch start to engage and then release it. Once you get starting down, just drive and drive and drive. The more you drive it'll become second nature. Try your best to be smooth and you'll only improve.
I wish I had a beater to learn on but wasn't worth spending money jut to learn.

Last edited by eldora; 04-15-2020 at 10:54 AM..
eldora is offline   Reply With Quote