Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
InstantBoost
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
InstantBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Learn 240sx

I've always wanted a 240sx and to start my own project , the only issue is I'm not the best working with cars, I know basic stuff but I'm not too advanced , any advice on how you guys learn to Do engine swaps rebuilds and all that good stuff where did you guys learn that at ? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
InstantBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

nick Ritter is an unknown quantity at this point
do google search ……….. go read as many build threads as possible, read books…etc….
nick Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Go to your local pick and pull junkyard(s) and start tinkering w/ cars. That was my way of learning.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
jza80king
Leaky Injector

jza80king is an unknown quantity at this point
Being broke and HAVING to fix my own shit did wonders for me lol. Factory Service Manuals, Chilton's automobile manuals, Google, Youtube....and multiple forums is what I used. I have done everything from simple spark plug/oil change all the way to engine disassemble-rebuild-reassemble now.
jza80king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
2 things to aknowledge if you don't wish to uselessly spend money - and it does not depend on how much money you can make or have :

The first is knowing what you can and what you can't do. If you can't do it, have someone who knows do it.

The second is knowing how much things cost. If you can't pay for it, then don't do it, or don't have it done, and wait until you can.

Which leads to the usual conclusions : car are not cheap, modified car are way more expensive, and if you have no money nor skills ... don't get one, as it WILL be a money sink. Even the least expensive reliable build done by skilled people cost a lot of money in parts and labor (some things like bore / hone / deck are usually done in a shop, even for a skilled wrencher).

What you can do, as long as you have tooling: bolt on chassis mods.
Forget bolton engine mods, unless you already know how exactly an engine work. You will need someone to tune the engine afterward.

Anything that requires custom fab, expensive tooling, like engine swaps or proper rebuild, you need to pay someone to do it.

Personnal advice: do not mod the car. Put some good rubber on it if you want to grip (or crappy ones if you fancy drifting), a bucket seat and just drive. Best bang for the buck. If you start making suspension mods, you will mostly make the handling worse, unless you are prepared to put some serious money in it.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
joe3180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
joe3180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
^^ hes got it right.

Im not all that great with cars but I guess im better than most(most meaning the people who don't know how to pop the hood).

I learned by reading up, taking it apart, and trying. Cant be afraid of spending money and taking your time if you really want to learn.

Take lots of pictures as you take things apart and put them in bags with labels.

Projects that take years to finish will cause you to forget where things go. Then it costs more to have someone fix the problem you made rather than just pay them in the first place...in many cases.

Ive had my 240 for 13 years and still have plenty left to do with it. I know what I can and cant do by myself. I spend the money on quality parts and im not going to loose my job if my car has to sit for a couple months while getting repaired or saving up for some expensive part I need.

hope it helped...even if it was just a little.
joe3180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
jza80king
Leaky Injector

Wtf?? thread hi jack. Why not ask uhaul they should know.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:34 AM   #8
jza80king
Leaky Injector

Google. Go to uhaul.com and see what they offer (I just did that on my phone). Go to uhaul in the morning BEFORE you go get the car. Several options, also if you can post in a random thread like you did, why don't you create your own thread in the off topic so that you can get some ideas????
Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
InstantBoost
Leaky Injector

InstantBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank for all the info guys preciate it
InstantBoost is offline   Reply With Quote