Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
salmon1

Trader Rating: (0)
salmon1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR SR20DE engine rattle when in gear

Hi all,

I own a 1995 Nissan Silvia S14, SR20DE, done approx 120000kms. I am having trouble with an engine rattle, I have looked around various forums and havn't found any helpful info on this particular problem.

When the engine is idling in neutral and the throttle is applied, no rattle is heard, but when the car is in gear (clutch in or out) the engine rattles just as the throttle is applied but not during acceleration. The sound seems to be coming from the top of the engine around the middle of the valve cover.

At first I assumed it was a timing chain issue, and was planning on removing the timing chain guides and checking that the tensioners weren't stuck but the noise seems to come from further back in the engine and only when the car is in gear which seems unusual for a timing chain rattle, unless putting the car in gear increases the tension in the chain causing it to pick up slack and hit the chain guides or something along those lines. Still doesnt explain where the noise is coming from.

I currently have 10-50 semi synthetic oil in the car and the noise may possibly have gotten more noticable after the last oil change. The sticker in my window from a previous service recommends 15-50 oil. I may try changing the oil (any suggestions on what viscosity?) just in case that fixes the problem.

If I let the car idle for a while, then turn off the key and then switch it straight back to the On position the oil light comes on immediately which I have been told indicates low oil pressure. Any thoughts on this?

Also, on my last oil change the oil was overfilled, I drove round for a day or so with it overfilled then realised and drained it down to the correct level with no catastrophic failure (luckily), this probably hasn't got anything to do with the problem but thought Id let u guys know just in case.

Thanks in advance,
any info will be greatly appreciated,
Sam

Last edited by salmon1; 02-02-2010 at 01:32 AM..
salmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
RastaS13
Leaky Injector

RastaS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had that problem with my RB and it turned out to be my pressure plate in my transmission. Its an easy fix. just change out the plate and you should be good
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
could be your actual tranny going

also check your VTC solenoid
Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
salmon1

salmon1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys hopefully its not my actual tranny but il look into your suggestions and let you guys know if i get anywhere
salmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote