Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Help me pick a new 3 row SUV daily

Hey guys, I need help picking out a new daily. I'm looking for an inexpensive (ie USED AF) SUV with 3rd row seating for the kiddos. All I've looked at so far have been the Pilot & MDX.

I'm trying to stay under $6k, so that's maybe 2006 vintage rides, I guess. What others should I be considering? I think Pathfinder & 4Runner are competitors, right? Who else?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Pilot is a good choice. A 4runner is an option however they tend to be over priced due to “off roading tax” The Lexus GX470 is the platform of the 4runner, yet better priced.

Personally, I picked up an Armada recently to replace my Ford Explorer.

No regrets.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
johnydoesit
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
johnydoesit has a spectacular aura aboutjohnydoesit has a spectacular aura aboutjohnydoesit has a spectacular aura aboutjohnydoesit has a spectacular aura aboutjohnydoesit has a spectacular aura aboutjohnydoesit has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If mpg isn't a deal breaker for you a Suburban is hard to beat. My dad has a 2003 going on 200,000 miles now with nothing else than fluid and brake changes.
johnydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Pilot is a good choice. A 4runner is an option however they tend to be over priced due to “off roading tax” The Lexus GX470 is the platform of the 4runner, yet better priced.

Personally, I picked up an Armada recently to replace my Ford Explorer.

No regrets.
Any reason why you singled out the Pilot over the MDX? I was once given a 1st gen Pilot as a loaner car & while i liked it, it really seemed like a stripped down MDX in terms of available features.

The Armada's look cool as hell. I'm gonna look into whether i can fit one in the budget. Might have to settle for a V8 Pathy. Any issues Armada shoppers should be aware of?

Thanks for the Lexus heads up. The 4Runner is ugly AF to me. I'll check out the Lexus version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydoesit View Post
If mpg isn't a deal breaker for you a Suburban is hard to beat. My dad has a 2003 going on 200,000 miles now with nothing else than fluid and brake changes.
Not a fan of that generation's styling. Too 20th century for what I'm looking for. The following gens looked nice, but they're more than i wanna pay. Plus, mpgs are increasing in importance to me since my work commute recently got a lot longer.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Kind of left field, but I just picked up an 01 Land Rover Discovery 2. Its got 7 seats (fold in 3rd row jumper seats) and is surprisingly well equipped for an 01 car. Super comfy, super smooth v8, great visibility, all the amenities Id ever need in SE7 trim (highest trim level). Crazy capable and it tows up to 7700lbs which is great if you ever need to pick up a uhaul trailer for the day and bring the s chassis to the track (which ill be doing eventually) Picked it up for a touch over 2k with 160k on it. With your budget it makes me wonder if an lr3 or a later LR model would fit and make a great daily.
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
Are you talking full size 3rd row? Or like jump seats if needed on occasion? We have an Outlander GT that has fold down 3rd row. It has been a great vehicle for us for over 2 years now.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silnv View Post
Are you talking full size 3rd row? Or like jump seats if needed on occasion? We have an Outlander GT that has fold down 3rd row. It has been a great vehicle for us for over 2 years now.

2 fold in jump seats, perfectly usable and stow away nicely yielding a ton of room in the back though
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Watch out for certain years of the first gen armada without front camber bolts. If it starts eating tires you then have to fork over additional money to buy the adjustable camber bolts from Nissan to get it back in spec.
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Any reason why you singled out the Pilot over the MDX? I was once given a 1st gen Pilot as a loaner car & while i liked it, it really seemed like a stripped down MDX in terms of available features.

The Armada's look cool as hell. I'm gonna look into whether i can fit one in the budget. Might have to settle for a V8 Pathy. Any issues Armada shoppers should be aware of?
The Pilot and the MDX share the same platform. Meaning the Pilot is more or less no frills, while the MDX has all of the luxury options. Personally, I can live without all of the electronic bells and whistles. Less to go wrong down the road. I came extremely close to purchasing the Pilot, but ended up going with a V8 Explorer with third row due to the better towing capacity and ability to roll out to the snow with a bunch of friends.

I've been enjoying my Armada immensely. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired though. The only "common" problem is the headers are prone to cracking.

Quote:
Thanks for the Lexus heads up. The 4Runner is ugly AF to me. I'll check out the Lexus version.

Not a fan of that generation's styling. Too 20th century for what I'm looking for. The following gens looked nice, but they're more than i wanna pay. Plus, mpgs are increasing in importance to me since my work commute recently got a lot longer.
If MPGs are important, the Armada might be a no for you. If that's the case, a 6 cyl is probably your best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight zenki View Post
Watch out for certain years of the first gen armada without front camber bolts. If it starts eating tires you then have to fork over additional money to buy the adjustable camber bolts from Nissan to get it back in spec.
2004 and 2005 Pathfinder / Armada have adjustable camber stock.

2006+ Armadas do not come factory with adjustable camber.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Audi Q7 are going for the low
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Hey guys, I need help picking out a new daily. I'm looking for an inexpensive (ie USED AF) SUV with 3rd row seating for the kiddos. All I've looked at so far have been the Pilot & MDX.

I'm trying to stay under $6k, so that's maybe 2006 vintage rides, I guess. What others should I be considering? I think Pathfinder & 4Runner are competitors, right? Who else?
4Runners are optional 3rd row I believe? I could be totally wrong from that year but nowadays they are, so maybe hard to find.

Are you planning on sticking with Japanese brand or are you OK with US/Euro?

Maybe a Ford Explorer? I think those came with 3rd rows. Or if you want, maybe even a used Land Cruiser from 2000. Not sure how they are priced in your neck of the woods, but they can be had for pretty cheap if you're lucky. Will have a crapton of miles though.

example of used LC in Texas area https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=180790493

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #12
simmode1
Post Whore!

Wow, a lot of suggestions I never would have thought of. Thanks guys!

I don't really need a ginormous suv. My family is all short ppl...lol... Just want a little more room in case my mom & sister want to ride with me, my wife & 2 kids.

Japanese is my preference since that's what i know best, but I'll consider any product as long as its good. For example, i had no idea the Q7 even existed & i think i like it a lot. I think it's still a little more than i want to spend, but it might be worth saving up for a little more.

Gx470 - over my budget & don't like the styling
Range Rover Discovery - don't like the styling of that model but i got some homework to do on their other models
Explorer - Not until i can afford an Ecoboost one
Land Cruiser - didn't see pricing i liked locally & not in love with the styling

Honestly, I'm thinking besides the Pilot/MDX the 2005 to whatever Pathfinder is my new frontrunner, just from it being a familiar Nissan product. But I'm still open to suggestions. Where's Exitspeed at? Didn't he have one of these?

Maybe i should see if there were premium 1st gen Pilots sold that had some of the features I'm wanting from the MDX, but for less money...hmmm...
Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Pilot is a good choice, something I've looked into with a growing family. My current daily is a trailblazer, and let me tell you, it's awesome. It's a 2002 that my dad bought with 20k on it. I bought it from him with 160k on it years ago. Today is has 307k on it, unopened original engine and trans. Hands down best, most reliable vehicle I've owned. Minor common issues, but easy to work on. The inline 6 4.2 is bulletproof. I've concluded that when this one dies I'm buying another one, for sure. Good luck with your decision, Toyota is also a great choice

Edit: also, had a v8 2005 explorer with 3rd row. Biggest piece of shit ever. Gave it away, fuck that thing
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #14
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Speaking of SUVs, I just bought this.....

My poor bank account is finished.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:14 AM   #15
simmode1
Post Whore!

Thanks Standard. Great advice.

Killer, is that the Cayenne? I looked at those for a hot second before i realized that's out of my league right now lol
Old 08-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #16
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Edit: also, had a v8 2005 explorer with 3rd row. Biggest piece of shit ever. Gave it away, fuck that thing
Funny you say that. Consumer reports rated it as the worst vehicle ever put on their list. But mine was awesome to me. Countless trips to the mountains though all sorts of snow storms. Even towed well.

I don’t miss it though.

Relplaced the explorer with the Armada because it can tow better, offera more passenger space, and feels much more solid.

Sorry for the gargantuian pictures. imgur doesn’t resize. Oh well. Fuck it.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Killer, is that the Cayenne? I looked at those for a hot second before i realized that's out of my league right now lol
Yes, Cayenne Turbo to be exact. AWD 500+ hp V8 twin turbo. I figure if I'm going to own something with automatic transmission it needs to be fun.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #18
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Another option is the Toyota Highlander.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 AM   #19
Felipe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I would go with the mdx. Brother in law has a pilot, seats are hard af lol it sucks ass for long trips!

Not a 3 row... but might fit the budget.
Awd vw touareg?
(Pic of 2007)
Late Night Crew #1
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's interesting because mid 2000's 3 row CUVs were popular but nothing like they are now.

As far as what was out then as options...

Tahoe
Suburban
Escalade
Yukon
Explorer
Pathfinder
Pilot
MDX
Pathfinder
Armada
QX60
Traverse
Acadia
Enclave
Tourag

Probably a few I forgot. Probably for a reason. I'd say if I had to choose a used one, I'd go bigger. Armada, QX60, Yukon Denali. I've had a '14 Pathfinder and now a '17 CX9 and while I LOVE the CX9 infinitely more than the Pathfinder, the only thing I wish I had was more space. That's my ONLY complaint.

That's my advice, go as big as you can afford.

Interiors really sucked back in the mid 2000's (mid recession) so don't expect as well appointed cars as today.

If you have the budget, maybe lease new? Heck my CX9 is only $422/ month. That's a LOT of car for such little cash.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #21
simmode1
Post Whore!

Thanks Exit, lots of options there I never considered.

I'm trying to avoid leasing/carnotes. My wife & I were on course to buy a house back in january before I got laid off. But now that I'm working again & can resume looking, I want to keep my monthly expenses low for a while.

What's the thought process behind 'go big'? I'm thinking my wife and I are mid 5ft ppl with 2 tiny kids. And wifey is a tree hugger...lol... Don't really want to get more than I need and pay even more at the pump. But maybe I'm missing out on some unforeseen value...? I just want something my family of 4 little ppl can move around in & can also accommodate my mom and sister if they're in town (which ain't often). Plus something that can tow my next Nissan to the track...
Old 08-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #22
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Thanks Exit, lots of options there I never considered.

I'm trying to avoid leasing/carnotes. My wife & I were on course to buy a house back in january before I got laid off. But now that I'm working again & can resume looking, I want to keep my monthly expenses low for a while.

What's the thought process behind 'go big'? I'm thinking my wife and I are mid 5ft ppl with 2 tiny kids. And wifey is a tree hugger...lol... Don't really want to get more than I need and pay even more at the pump. But maybe I'm missing out on some unforeseen value...? I just want something my family of 4 little ppl can move around in & can also accommodate my mom and sister if they're in town (which ain't often). Plus something that can tow my next Nissan to the track...
With two kids, you're fine. Have three and you're fucked. With anyone in the third row you basically have room for one large thing. Need the kids wagon AND a cooler? Tough shit. Maybe that's not in the cards (third kid) for you, but then you really don't even need the third row. We got along pretty well in our Murano when we had two kids. Again though you run into the cargo space. Most of the space behind any of the CUVs back seat (be it second or third row) is minimal because they all have a sloped window. When you go with a Yukon/Tahoe/QX80 you get way more cargo room because they are giant boxes.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #23
simmode1
Post Whore!

Ahhh... I see. Cargo room. I didn't even think about that because we almost never drive anywhere more than a hour away. Further than that & we fly on wifey's flight benefits. But those are great things to pay attention when I'm test driving. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #24
turbronegro
Zilvia Junkie

turbronegro is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 7.3 excursion...It's just my wife, my kid, and I. (I'm 5'8" and wife is 4,11"). It's overkill to the fullest but I love it. It does everything needed and can tow your life. Its awesome for track days because the fam can camp in the back while soaking up AC out of the sun while I have fun. I'm not suggesting you go absurdly big like I did, but I do suggest get what your looking for plus a little extra. But, thats my philosophy with trucks and SUV's.

I know as far as 'do it all family SUV's' that are reliable and can tow. You cant go wrong with the early to mid 2000's GM's (tahoe, yukon, suburban, yukon xl). No they dont get the MPG's most are looking for but they last forever and parts are cheap, which saves you money in the long wrong which might make up for the milage. I do think the Armarda gets even worse gas milage to be honest. Toyota Sequoia (spelling?), Ford Explorers, 06+ 5.4 Expoditions, Pilot, MDX, are all good choices as well. It doesnt seem like you're willing to accept domestic options though.

How often do you plan to drive it?
How much will it tow?
Whats your MPG goals?
turbronegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #25
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^I'm open to domestic options, I'm just not sure I can afford the ones I want yet. I'm just wary of most pre-auto bailout domestic stuff. Stuff didn't have great reputation for quality. The 2007/2008/2009 stuff, styling starting getting cooler and quality increased. I'd probably feel more comfy with one, but I don't wanna spend that much. Maybe the slightly older stuff's bad reputation is overblown? I dunno. Been into imports too long...
Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #26
turbronegro
Zilvia Junkie

turbronegro is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll tell you the GM stuff with the displacement on demand looks a lot better and has better quality but the engines arent as reliable. They did get the tougher auto trans while the older stuff got the 4L60e which is the ONLY major weak point for the GM truck/SUV of that era. They're a dime a dozen.
turbronegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #27
RB26guy

RB26guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out here:
RB26guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #28
RB26guy

RB26guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Check on here for a good deal, I just bought my X5 on here for a pretty decent price.

https://www.autolist.com/nissan-path...000&price_max=

Good luck with your search!
RB26guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #29
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbronegro View Post
I'll tell you the GM stuff with the displacement on demand looks a lot better and has better quality but the engines arent as reliable. They did get the tougher auto trans while the older stuff got the 4L60e which is the ONLY major weak point for the GM truck/SUV of that era. They're a dime a dozen.
Good info. I'll take that into account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB26guy View Post
Check on here for a good deal, I just bought my X5 on here for a pretty decent price.

https://www.autolist.com/nissan-path...000&price_max=

Good luck with your search!
I was about to trip out about those prices at first, they're quite a bit higher than what I've been seeing. But then the mileage on these are all low... pretty much all under 150k miles. That's not bad. I'll keep this in mind.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #30
Matador
Leaky Injector

Matador is an unknown quantity at this point
A 1st gen Sequoia might be worth looking at since they can be had for a bit less than a comparable 4Runner or GX470.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote