Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need help with a swap. sohc vg30 into s13

So, i picked up a clean vg30e from a wrecked maxima and have pretty much everything i need to swap my s13 with. 6 puck and turbo bits are on the way in the mail now.

I'm running the 71c 240sx transmission and was wondering if the t5 bellhousing is the same length as the 71c 300zx z31 transmission?

Would be mad easy to just have a shop chop and weld em.

If i do this, would it be best to bring them the gearbox, both bellhousings and a shortblock with a clutch bolted to it or what?

Posted a wtb thread on z31performance, here, and a few other places without much luck so i really think this is my only option at this point unless i bite the bullet on z32 gearbox and dss driveshaft.

My build is at a stand still right now b/c of this ish.

Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Found a bellhousing. Moving along.

The swap itself is going to be pretty straight forwards. I have a spare pair of heads i'm going to port.

Only issue i think i may run into is how low to mount the motor. It's fixed in it's forward/aft location given i'm using a stock s13 driveshaft and stock s13 transmission for now. I will be cutting my firewall and moving the engine back a good 3-5" when i'm able to convert to the z32 TT box.

Ah, the joys of building a reliable car. Love it! So much fun. I'll post a build thread in a couple months or whenever it's swapped, wired and running. The engine i have now has not been test fired or anything. Bellhousing should be here 1st or second week of next month. Clutch, turbo and fab crap should be here this week and all through next month (still not done ordering parts/metal) so maybe summer?

Hater's gonna hate i'm sure but those looking for shakotan kitted baller stuff should know i'm just not about that. I appreciate the look and work and money and time involved but i like to go fast, keep it silly and if i hit something during, not be sour about wrecking a $500 bumper or a $1000 wheel. Lol. I'll be sour about having to spend $100 for a new wheel and then putting in a few hours panel beating. Lol.

I like stuff that goes hard with purpose. People say drifting is "half show". I agree. Flashy cars just aren't my bag. I hate the attention.

Mild silvia is silvia.

Z engine is a league of awesome all in it's own. Would LOVE to get my hands on a l28 but for now, vg's are my playthings.

Peace out and thanks for at least viewing my thread.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ive always thought about pulling the VG30E from my S12 and throwing it into an S13.
seems simple enough and even the S12 crossmember bolts in.

this thread needs pics ASAP.
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

I would contemplate that myself. S12 is better fitted for an inline 4 motor anyway imo but damn they rip with the vg30 in there. few little tidbits. Still gotta ways to go. The engine has been completed for a while rundown is:

9:1 cr maxima core engine
Full floating pin upgrade/nippon stock bore slugs
z31 rods
stock gaskets, head bolts, etc....
ACL and King bearings
Shimmed maxima reman oil pump
six puck offbrand
Balanced and polished crank
Fresh hone
Lapped valves
Shaved heads
OEM spec'd rings (nippon)

No portwork of any kind. Doing emissions delete on intake now. Just plumed the injectors with new seals and stuff. Slapping the gearbox back together....the usual....

Not in order. I ripped this engine down after test fit and rebuilt it with a few little extra tweaks. She's almost ready to drop in and wire up. This pos pan-o-jank i've been slaving on has taken up alot of time and tbh even in the right shop environment i'd rather have someone else do this for me. Oil pans are no joke.....

Rack mod and angle stuff doings because stupid derft car. Nevermind the suspension. THey were temperary items and will be handled asap.

I've been here for a while. I just lurk. My stuff isn't high class baller enough for the internets and i dont take it seriously enough. lol. Should be back in the game of driving my 240 in october i hope. Because it's not a build thread i recommend doing this:

Use the z32 5 speed (any trim level)

Or use a t5/71c. 71c vg30 bellhousing allows the use of sr, ka, and rb rwd transmissions. I am using STOCK transmission mount location and the intake manifold BARELY clears firewall. I had to beat the lip flat. Gigantic pain in the ass for your average dgaf chill mode hobbyist. It is rumored the s12 crossmember makes this a bolt in affair using s12 or z31 engine mount brackets. I'm just going to weld some bs together and make shit happen.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Assembled. About 3 or 4 months ago. I forget.

For you dohc people xcessive makes a swap kit now.

Bios - Xcessive Manufacturing

Direct bolt in affair. =D
Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
This is a cool swap, but are you running the crossover pipe behind the engine still? Run that thing underneath and move that engine back another 4 inches! A pathfinder intake will help too.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

There's no room to run the factory crossover pipe if you use stock transmission mounting.

Pipe being ran fore and turbo is probably going that way too.

Pathfinder intake is something i've been wanting to do for a while. Just doesn't seem like a priority given I just really want to go slide my car again.....asap. October. November at the latest if shit doesn't go right. At the moment it's looking like we'll have touchdown and turnover next month.

Edit: This really didn't come from me. I had ideas thrown at me from friends, got some parts just from being at the right place at the right time so everything that's lead up to this point is strictly due to them, coincidence and my undying love for drifting.

Anyone wanting to do a similar swap either using the sohc or dohc is better of getting a z32 box off the bat. It's easier, stronger, bit more pricey but damn, you wont need to worry about it breaking and having to do the job two or three or four times....

Last edited by NoPistons!; 09-30-2012 at 05:37 PM..
NoPistons! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
rabies

Trader Rating: (0)
rabies is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
im very sorry to thread jack but if i may ask...your motor, same motor i have in my d21 truck (AT) :/ i need a 5spd tranny. you said you put an s13 5spd in? i have 2wd. im finding it very difficult to find a 5spd tranny for my same motor as you. again sorry to hijack

subscribed for sure
(EDIT)...didnt notice date derp
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

You're fine. I'm one of those guys who starts a thread, ruins it and magically updates when i feel like it.

275-40-17 on a 17x9 +35 or +37. I dont remember if i put the centers on these wheels right. One pair has a larger back pad than the other but fits flush with a roll. Tire stretchers are mad bro. Got tires for free. Wanted something with grip to do some damage in straight lines with for a little. Still on kyb gr2 shocks back there with rsr springs. I have drop engineering coils up front and the rear pair is in my room for when the drift magic happens.

And the motor.....

All vg30e are the same. The 71c used in my car came from a 240. The bellhousing and front seal plate need to come from a 300zx z31, S12 turbo with with the 3.0 in it (not CA18det)....

I'm not even going to recommend you use a 71c. I hate those things. They're crap. 1-2 shift grinds and work gear teeth are COMMON. I've asked ALOT of people and made ALOT of phonecalls and seen alot of messed up gearboxes and now know WHY.

Get yourself a 30a or cut the bell off your atx and weld it on something strong. Like a t56, R154 or something like that. You dont want to do the job twice and if you drive your d21 like i do mine.....you're gonna want a box that will hold up to anything. Me and the d21 get down and dirty ALOT. Automagic banging off limiter sideways as hell rooster tails for daysssssssss.

In the end it's your money and you gotta drive the thing. Again, if you want the same trans i have they come attached to sr20's, rb20's, ka24de's and z31/s12 vg30e's. Gears are all the same. Only change is bellhousing and the front seal plate the tob and pivot ball sit on.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

If you know your gearboxes at this angle you should be able to tell that's a 71c. I didn't use any oem computer, controller, wiring or anything. I ripped ALL of it out. Trash so i can't tell you what to do about the transmisison gear select sensors and all that mess. Maybe if i do boost by gear one day i'll hook them back up.

And this turbo manifold tends to get alot of questions. "how the hell do you remove that? Because flex bellow.

Kept it gangster.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
blockedwizard
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
blockedwizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Loving this, been reading up recently about the vg30e and there isn't much info on the s chassis swap other than this, now I'm seriously thinking about going vg30e and turboing the 9:1 an engine, Any way lovin this build please keep updating!!!!
blockedwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
blockedwizard
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
blockedwizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Any updates?
blockedwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Danial
Zilvia Member

Danial is an unknown quantity at this point
tube chassis. subscribed. looks like a really cool swap even though I hate all the vg engines
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Daniyyel

Daniyyel is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribed. Im also working on a vg30. Always enjoy someone doing something with this engine. Its way underrated. Ill try to assist in anyway that I can. Subscribed.
Daniyyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Daniyyel

Daniyyel is an unknown quantity at this point
I like how you did the turbo manifolds. It was something I was having trouble figuring out on my build. I'll PM you some info on some low cost turbo manifolds.
Daniyyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Duke89
Zilvia Junkie

Duke89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPistons! View Post
You're fine. I'm one of those guys who starts a thread, ruins it and magically updates when i feel like it.

275-40-17 on a 17x9 +35 or +37. I dont remember if i put the centers on these wheels right. One pair has a larger back pad than the other but fits flush with a roll. Tire stretchers are mad bro. Got tires for free. Wanted something with grip to do some damage in straight lines with for a little. Still on kyb gr2 shocks back there with rsr springs. I have drop engineering coils up front and the rear pair is in my room for when the drift magic happens.

And the motor.....

All vg30e are the same. The 71c used in my car came from a 240. The bellhousing and front seal plate need to come from a 300zx z31, S12 turbo with with the 3.0 in it (not CA18det)....

I'm not even going to recommend you use a 71c. I hate those things. They're crap. 1-2 shift grinds and work gear teeth are COMMON. I've asked ALOT of people and made ALOT of phonecalls and seen alot of messed up gearboxes and now know WHY.

Get yourself a 30a or cut the bell off your atx and weld it on something strong. Like a t56, R154 or something like that. You dont want to do the job twice and if you drive your d21 like i do mine.....you're gonna want a box that will hold up to anything. Me and the d21 get down and dirty ALOT. Automagic banging off limiter sideways as hell rooster tails for daysssssssss.

In the end it's your money and you gotta drive the thing. Again, if you want the same trans i have they come attached to sr20's, rb20's, ka24de's and z31/s12 vg30e's. Gears are all the same. Only change is bellhousing and the front seal plate the tob and pivot ball sit on.
Rb20 is not the same, the reverse gear is shorter making the whole transmission 2inches shorter over all
Duke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

msglength11111!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #18
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Had no idea. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Assumed all those gearboxes were the same. Matters not. I need to stockpipe a few 71c's or just man up and get a 30a already.

VID_20130902_122929_zps0231a146.mp4 Video by potatoesbarnaby | Photobucket

This was over the summer. Filmed and recorded with a potato after i adjusted throttle tip-in. It's been down all fall due to oiling issues resulting in complete teardown and rebuild again. All bearings/rings and stuff were fine. Just did new headgaskets and made sure every single oil port from heads to block were clear of debris.

Should be back on the streets this weekend. Maybe some hd video from outside the car brake boosting second up my road if my laptop behaves. I need a tuning-dedicated laptop asap.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
tube chassis. subscribed. looks like a really cool swap even though I hate all the vg engines
I hate them too. Totally not offended. I'm slowly modifying the hate out of the engine tho. If i'm still doing this in 2 years expect good things.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #20
pignose.007

pignose.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates? sub'd
pignose.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #21
tobroketobuildarealcar
Zilvia Junkie

tobroketobuildarealcar is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of the z31 came factory with a trans that is just as strong as the z32 txt it just has slightly different gearing

The sohc vg Is a more than capable engine the reason it does not have the reputation it deserves is it was never put in a popular chassis. There are tons of die hard Nissan guys that have no respect for the z31 and it is part of the reason whi nissan is where it is today
tobroketobuildarealcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #22
pignose.007

pignose.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^^^^ preach
pignose.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #23
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobroketobuildarealcar View Post
Some of the z31 came factory with a trans that is just as strong as the z32 txt it just has slightly different gearing
Yeah it looks like this.

I haz a VG33 now.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #24
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Bump for an old thread.

I maxed it at around 20 psi. It took a while too. had to mess with the dwell, ve and plug gap but it held for 6 months before my hours got cut. had to re-tune on 87 octane at 5 psi to DD on a budget. Lol.

In the end it kept dropping sync with the laptop and the gearbox/tob was going out. The new owners (whoever you are) best of luck. I built that car to piss people off. You are going to hate your life. Lmao.

So yeah, i daily drove/built/tuned on it for 2 years. Haters gonna hate. Made the ziptied worst fab ever thread. However my vg actually fucking worked. My welds didn't break. I actually passed a tig test for a company that does nothing but SS. Never tigged ss before a day in my life. Two months later i'm hired. So ziptied can keep my nuts in their mouths.......

Also i have my msq's saved but they'll only do you good if you have an ms1v2.2 box. Idk, spark table will help alot. I left a good bit of power on the table. Max retard i think was 16* at 7000 rpm @ 20 psi. base timing was 18-20* btdc. I ran rx7 460cc injectors at i think 55-60* base fuel pressure on a 1:1 fpr. That'd give you a rough idea where to start.

Moving forwards i'm on 4 door boat cars. I have a second gen gs300 i'm working on. Going to get a first gen shortly because it has less shit to fuck up daily driving. I've always liked those cars. Didn't know my first and probably last 240 would turn out the way it did but i'm glad it happened the way it did.

END.