Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
DIY: 03 350Z interior to 06+ 350Z swap.

This is my first ever DIY. So bear with me on that. If you have any questions on this please feel free to PM me or comment in this thread ill gladly help.

I made a DIY on m350z for this. Maybe someone on here might be interested in doing this too.

Difficulty: probably about a 3 on a scale of 1-10.

Tools needed: Phillips screwdriver, flat head screw driver, and a 10MM socket with a extension, razor knife, and electrical tape.

To start, I found someone parting out a 08 350z base. After much research I had to piece together this info from multiple threads. There is no wiring involved its a plug and play deal. Main concern is the AC controls not working. After reading I found out that you need the AC/HEAT control module ( clear white thing located behind your AC controls under the radio ). You need this with your swap or your knobs WILL NOT work.

Required from the 06+ models:

Gauges( plug into your 03 harness )
Center cubby that holds your radio and the cubby pocket.
Side panels (has the foam knee pads on driver and passenger side)
AC/Heat/Shifter plastic with the knobs.
Clear white AC module located under your radio from whatever year model your swapping to.
And you need the entire center console from a 06+.

Price: depends on where you get everything, I paid about $3-350 for this swap.

First remove your shift knob then remove your shifter AC plastic piece. It should pop right off rather easily.

Now unplug the white ribbon from the back of your shifter plastic.

Next your going to pull off that T shaped rubber and rove these 2 screws located right above your radio.

Now you remove the 2 screws at the bottom of your radio.

Pull from the top by the gauges and it should just pop off the entire plastic piece that holds your gauges, now unplug your gauges.

Remove your radio and the white plastic box next, (6screws, 2 on top, 4 on the bottom)

Pull the white box out and unplug the 3 plugs from the back.

Remove these 2 screws for the center console.

Then remove your ashtray and remove the screw holding the center console to the chassis.

I didn't take a picture of this buyer there are 2 screws by your seats that also hold the console in place, slide your seats forward and you will see them there is one on each side.

Lately you remove the bottom dashboard on the passenger side, to swap out the knee pads, if you want you can keep your old plastic pieces and not swap, but remember its silver and the new one is all black. I followed this write up I found to fix the dash rattle (which works I just did it). http://m.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397656

Now the install, basically the exact SAMETHING in reverse order

Put your new console in place, next install your radio all 4 screws. Then install the white AC control box. If you have a aftermarket double din like I do you kinda have to jam the white box in place to clear the wires.

I found this out, seeing as the gauges came from a 08 base model and I have a Touring you need to swap them out so you retain your tire pressure monitoring system, and a few other functions the Touring has over the base model.

The 2 screws that hold your gauges in place.

Now, the hardest part of the install. You need to unravel the wires for your heated seats/ hazard lights, and pull the hazard light plug out. (Don't literally pull it out just unravel and tape itby itself so it's longer) once you do that, re-tape everything with electrical tape like so.

After that just snap it all back together and it should look like this when finished. MUCH MUCH cleaner than the 03-05 models.

Ignore the gap around the radio, my 06+ trim ring hasn't come in the mail yet.

Overall this swap took me about a hour and a half. Just because I was tedious and bagged and labeled the screws.

I need to take a pic with the radio trim ring installed. It's so much cleaner. I now have 5 damn cup holders instead of that 1 that's in your dash.

Next up are the door panels for the 06+ with the light up cup holders in them.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
I dont see the piont in doing this unless your old stuff was broke and you found a good deal on a newer set
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
jroy1234
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jroy1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did mine and it turned out great. The knobs work they are just confusing: the left one(vent know) controlls the speed. clowise will turn the fan down and vise versa but you cant go all the way to auto or it will cut it off. The middle (temp knob) controls the vents, around 70 its at your face. and the speed knob controlls the temp. i ordered a unit, it runs me at the dealership around 200+ but the junkyard had one for 150.

Make sure you get the one for the year model of the unit, each year model has different part numbers for every year
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Because it cost me $300 for everything. And it looks a million times better than the 2003 style. The knobs look and function better, my elbow isn't always hitting the hazard lights and heated seats control or opening the rear console. I now have a huge opening in the middle no more ashtray. The dopr piece in the middle is also a cup holder as well as there are 2 inside the rear console.

Do you know how aggravating it is with having only 1 fucking cup holder that is inside your dash on the passenger side?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
jroy1234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiDe_WaYz View Post
Do you know how aggravating it is with having only 1 fucking cup holder that is inside your dash on the passenger side?
i feel your pain bro
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
blueshark123
Post Whore!

blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Because it cost me $300 for everything. And it looks a million times better than the 2003 style. The knobs look and function better, my elbow isn't always hitting the hazard lights and heated seats control or opening the rear console. I now have a huge opening in the middle no more ashtray. The dopr piece in the middle is also a cup holder as well as there are 2 inside the rear console.

I actually have 2 cup holders in the center console when u lift up the lid i can tell its a oem part. Funny thing though another z i got never had it.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

I had those. They suck, if I put drinks there my arm would hit them making it awkward to shift.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Quote:
I had those. They suck, if I put drinks there my arm would hit them making it awkward to shift.

yea i know what you mean
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
jroy1234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
I actually have 2 cup holders in the center console when u lift up the lid i can tell its a oem part. Funny thing though another z i got never had it.
Mine came with that too! I tried looking on our parts list and there is no sign or a part number on the plastic. now i have like 5 cup holders
Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 AM   #10
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Used this to do my interior swap last night
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #11
djdryon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
djdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to djdryon Send a message via AIM to djdryon Send a message via MSN to djdryon Send a message via Yahoo to djdryon
Any of you guys looking to get rid of your old dash parts? My center piece broke, and replacement pieces are stupid expensive.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk