Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
funkymonk

Trader Rating: (0)
funkymonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 steering rack fittings

Hi guys,

I have had a search and can't find an exact answer. I'm looking to replace my hardlines on a rhd S13 rack as one is damaged and I can't find a stock replacement. I know that the thread is m12x1 but I'm not sure what fitting I need to get it to seal properly on the flare in the rack rather than using thread sealant and washers. Can anyone explain what it is I need in layman's terms?

I have an S15 rack too and that seems to use a different fitting, S13 is a female style flare on the pipe, S15 is a male bubble style flare is that normal? And what is the proper name for the the S13 flare!?

Cheers
funkymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ISR makes a kit for LHD cars, not sure if it'll fit RHD though. Its lines and fittings. works great.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
funkymonk

Found a post on here somewhere from them that said lengths are wrong unfortunately
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk View Post
Found a post on here somewhere from them that said lengths are wrong unfortunately
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=338796

Literally everything, ever, discussed about these.

You need some fittings machined, or some hydraulic thread sealant.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #5
funkymonk

Thank you, I have read through that one and it is entirely possible that I missed it but does it say what fitting the hardlines on the rack itself take? I know it says M12x1 which is correct, but the flare inside, is that 37/45 deg and what is the proper nomenclature for it?

I see the reference to Goodridge 305-03M121 which is M12x1 to bubble flare, which will fit S15 rack I think, but the S13 rack pipe has concave fittings on the end.

Last edited by funkymonk; 04-03-2017 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Goodridge not Earls
Old 04-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk View Post
Thank you, I have read through that one and it is entirely possible that I missed it but does it say what fitting the hardlines on the rack itself take? I know it says M12x1 which is correct, but the flare inside, is that 37/45 deg and what is the proper nomenclature for it?

I see the reference to Goodridge 305-03M121 which is M12x1 to bubble flare, which will fit S15 rack I think, but the S13 rack pipe has concave fittings on the end.

the fittings for the rack are.
Rack Return 16x1.5 O ringed to -6AN 991955ERL
Rack High Pressure 14x1.5 O-ringed -6AN 991954ERL

This issue i had with the earls fitting is the seat, where the oring sits is not long enough to bottom out in the rack, hence i had a custom one made. I believe other mfgs has since made the fitting longer to accommodate.

There is no flare fittings on the rack, they are all sealed with Orings.

The flares used in my set up are JIC/AN style fittings that are 37*. 45* is used in brakes, and plumbing, (house plumbing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
He's talking about the HARD LINES on the steering rack. The ones that are plumbed on the rack itself and don't go to the pump or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
He's talking about the HARD LINES on the steering rack. The ones that are plumbed on the rack itself and don't go to the pump or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HAHA i completely missed that... in that case i have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
k00laid83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I was having the same issues. I ended up using some spare hard lines and welding a -6AN bung and made my own fittings. I haven't had a leak at the steering rack for over a year. I'm thinking of having a manufacturer give me a quote on making a few of these fittings.
k00laid83 is offline   Reply With Quote