Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
spoolandslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Location: lost in a bump splice in the fabric of our clockwork
Trader Rating: (12)
spoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
real history

why was none of this material in state issued textbooks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCs...e=results_main
spoolandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
bova17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bova17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolandslide View Post
why was none of this material in state issued textbooks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCs...e=results_main
last time i checked textbooks didnt have moving picture capabilities,lol

school is getting to the point where everything is online, but it really sucks, trust me trying to learn math on a computer not the easiest thing. and computers are so distracting and i never get anything done in school, usually on here looking through the for sale threads
bova17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bova17 View Post
last time i checked textbooks didnt have moving picture capabilities,lol

school is getting to the point where everything is online, but it really sucks, trust me trying to learn math on a computer not the easiest thing. and computers are so distracting and i never get anything done in school, usually on here looking through the for sale threads
THAT is what is what is wrong with teenagers these days. You have not the attention span, but somehow it's not your fault

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
bova17
Zilvia Member

it takes me half the time doing it at home than at school anyways
Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Juantwo3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
Juantwo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
Juantwo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
THAT is what is what is wrong with teenagers these days. You have not the attention span, but somehow it's not your fault
Schools in American need to take teaching away from teachers and put program management in the hands of more capable people. We need to end having public school as a social enrichment program and make it one geared toward survival and life skills - ie: MAKE MONEY.

Honestly, despite all the efforts to transform our country into "culturally literate" people that sit around sipping wine and discussing how Catcher in the Rye is something more than an eye raping pile of shit printed on paper - they have failed. Doubt me, log into FaceBook, Youtube or any game of COD and you will see "American Youth" in action. Prodigies of our School Systems.

Corbiville.

By the time you enter high school you should already know how to read and right - on a high-school level. End of story. English class is over at Grade 9. From this point on, all "writing development" will be done in other classes as part of those course projects.

Uniforms - life is a bitch, get over it. There is no rapid self expression in the real world. The sooner people learn this, the sooner they will become gainfully employed. Freshman and Sophomores should be treated like "hourly" employees - business uniforms. Nothing fancy - maybe just black dickies or even "plane" jeans and a school colored and logo POLO. Genderless. Juniors get some "Freedom" and will be aloud to dress in industry standard business casual. Button shirts, slacks, solid color shoes - ect.

Seniors - life really sucks. Most kids think the easy times are ahead and that being a senior is a time to go crazy. Unfortunately its the time to decide on college or a "real job" - not working at Kohl's three days a week. Business Profesional will be required. Dress paints, dress shoes, button shirts and sport coat type stuff.

It's a proven fact that atire is directly tied toward behavior and emotional self-esteem. You dress nice, you feel nice. You match everyone else, you act out less. This also eliminates all the issues of what you can and can't wear because of gang fears (ie Oakland Raiders logos - I live in fucking Indiana and we could not wear Oakland shit because gangs in California).

Lastly - education. Fuck Band, Fuck, Art, Fuck Theater. Real celebrities rarely are professionally trained. JayZ and Eminem did not spend 15 fuck years as Harvard Musical majors before they hit it big. Kim Kardashian never took a single fucking drama class to become E!'s cash cow and Hitler's failed dream to become an artist is what caused the holocaust. These "enrichment" programs should be self funding, after school shit.

What kids need to learn is - how American politics work, not what George Washington did, but an actual understanding of why we have Turtle Bridges money in trillion dollar economic stimulus packages. They need to understand how credit cards work, what are Roth 401Ks, IRAs, investment funds, financing futures. They need to know how intrest on loans works, how to buy a house. Buying, Leasing, Renting - they need to know how to retire, manage debt and monthly bills. They need to know what to look for when buying, inspecting, borrowing and buying houses. They need to know how to sue people, protect themselves from lawsuit. They need a full understanding of the American legal system - laws, crimes, punishment. They need firearm awarness and safety. They need "Active Shooter, Terrorism, Natural Disaster and Auto Accident" safety training. Auto insurance, home insurance, life insurance. What is a check book, internet safety - ect. Health Care! Health insurance! ECT!! How to eat right, how to cook.

These amazing life lessons, the details that most of us older people go "wish I knew that at 20" or go "I never knew that existed/was possible when I was 18" need to be taught to these kids.

People need honest to god, real life useful information in school. I want 18 year olds graduating as functioning members of society. Able to find work, plan their finical futures, understand what government programs are out there to help them get off of assisted living and make meaningful lives for themselves.

Get rid of summer, make each grade level 3 semesters. If people want social enrichment, that is why you have after-school clubs.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
SmokeCircle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
SmokeCircle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your boring me with this nonsense, go have some fun loser.
SmokeCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post

Corbiville.

By the time you enter high school you should already know how to read and right....
Stopped reading there. You couldn't even spell "write".
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Stopped reading there. You couldn't even spell "write".
Proff reeding /= abillety to spel
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Homeboyx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Homeboyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Be my sensei!
Homeboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Corbic I 100% agree with what you wrote. I'm so glad I know so much but that's because I self taught myself most of the time. College was a joke to me as well. I honestly learned everything on the job.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
bova17
Zilvia Member

The problem is a lot of kids are stupid, I'm in honors math and what takes me one example takes everyone else the rest of class to learn, I usually end up drawing a cool part for my car or drawing a robot for FRC
I'm not the usually kid, I will be here at school till 8 tonight coming up with a design for our robot, I know how to use cad, cnc, mill, and lathe
and am the team CEO

that's not me btw
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
That's great do you want to be an engineer?
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
terrence
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
terrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
What kids need to learn is - how American politics work, not what George Washington did, but an actual understanding of why we have Turtle Bridges money in trillion dollar economic stimulus packages. They need to understand how credit cards work, what are Roth 401Ks, IRAs, investment funds, financing futures. They need to know how intrest on loans works, how to buy a house. Buying, Leasing, Renting - they need to know how to retire, manage debt and monthly bills. They need to know what to look for when buying, inspecting, borrowing and buying houses. They need to know how to sue people, protect themselves from lawsuit. They need a full understanding of the American legal system - laws, crimes, punishment. They need firearm awarness and safety. They need "Active Shooter, Terrorism, Natural Disaster and Auto Accident" safety training. Auto insurance, home insurance, life insurance. What is a check book, internet safety - ect. Health Care! Health insurance! ECT!! How to eat right, how to cook.

These amazing life lessons, the details that most of us older people go "wish I knew that at 20" or go "I never knew that existed/was possible when I was 18" need to be taught to these kids.

People need honest to god, real life useful information in school. I want 18 year olds graduating as functioning members of society. Able to find work, plan their finical futures, understand what government programs are out there to help them get off of assisted living and make meaningful lives for themselves.

Get rid of summer, make each grade level 3 semesters. If people want social enrichment, that is why you have after-school clubs.
For someone who seems to have such a strong conservative opinion this is a very "big government" mindset to education.
terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence View Post
For someone who seems to have such a strong conservative opinion this is a very "big government" mindset to education.
Oh, you missed how I privitize schools through competitive bidding.

I also don't see how teaching a kid how a 401k works instead of how to play the trumpet is "big government".
Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
The_Creeper

Trader Rating: (1)
The_Creeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Corbic, I agree with most of what you said except

1. FUCK SUEING PEOPLE!! I'm sorry I ran over your dog, I'm not paying you $250,000(This is just an example of what people sue over and expect a pay out for)

2. We need to know our history as to not repeat our previous mistakes.
The_Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
ONYX S-13
Zilvia FREAK!

ONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ONYX S-13 Send a message via MSN to ONYX S-13
Quote:
We need to end having public school as a social enrichment program and make it one geared toward survival and life skills - ie: MAKE MONEY.

^THIS

I would say that this should be taught as early as freshman year (usually when kids can get a permit work). If kids are old enough to make money (from an employer not allowances) they should be taught how to budget/manage that money. Teach them how to make the money work with/for them instead of them for the money.

Quote:
Lastly - education. Fuck Band, Fuck, Art, Fuck Theater.
I disagree with this to a degree. I believe they should be offered but should definitely have a higher premium on it. They should be allowed to teach music, acting, etc. but not provide the equipment. ALL electives should be paid for with lets say 80% of the student's money and the rest from the school. If it isn't essential for day to day life then it should cost.

The second option for that (electives) should be to bring back vocational high schools. They didn't provide these out here where I lived while growing up but one of my older friends said those were very popular in NY state where he grew up.

For example: He said the vocational schools would be setup near the area where the most of that "trade" was practiced. So if you wanted to work in a field of aviation (piliot/plane mechanic/flight attendant/etc.) the school would be setup near an airport.

If you wanted to work as a vet the school would be located near the closest zoo or animal hospital.

And Etc.

The schools wouldn't cost more it's just that they would teach math, english ONLY, then the rest of the time they would be learning in their vocational interest, whether hands on or text book.

Quote:

^ This. I disagree with the bottom part though. Everyone needs a break from the daily grind. I wouldn't really say "get rid of it". I would definitely say make it much much shorter.

What I loved as a kid was year round schools. As a kid I got bored during summer. It just seemed too long. After the 3rd/4th week of being off I was running out of things to do (especially when I was elementary school). Year round school rocked because right when I was getting burned out on school I would randomly get 2weeks off here, one week off there and it really helped me recharge the mental battery.

Plus when you're older, it can give you a chance to apply what you learned in class and see real life results, it can help you volunteer here and there to have hands on experience on the vocation you choose to have as a career.

<End>
ONYX S-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
ONYX S-13
Zilvia FREAK!

ONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Creeper View Post

1. FUCK SUEING PEOPLE!! I'm sorry I ran over your dog, I'm not paying you $250,000(This is just an example of what people sue over and expect a pay out for)

2. We need to know our history as to not repeat our previous mistakes.
#1 I think he/she was talking about ,if you know how to sue people you know how to protect yourself against people that are sue happy.

Like the saying "the best offense is only as good as its defense". Like the best way to know about counterfeit items (money, car parts, etc.) is to have a good amount of knowledge about the original. If you know the original then you can spot a fake a mile away.

If someone wants to sue you over something bogus you'd easily know how to counter that/those claim(s) and win the case against you.

I totally agree with #2.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
I entirely disagree with Corbic's post on the educational system, however its much too long winded to elicit a proper response.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONYX S-13 View Post
#1 I think he/she was talking about ,if you know how to sue people you know how to protect yourself against people that are sue happy.

Like the saying "the best offense is only as good as its defense". Like the best way to know about counterfeit items (money, car parts, etc.) is to have a good amount of knowledge about the original. If you know the original then you can spot a fake a mile away.
Pretty much. Im not talking about how to make a million dollars off spilt cofffee, rather how to know when you are being taken advantage of. There are lots of croaked people out there and school should teach you how to protect your self.

Example : you pay a guy to fix your houses roof. 6 months later it caves in... What do you do?

I think you could help quench the insanity of some of these lawsuits with a more educated population. You have to remember, I'm most cases a jury of your fellow citizens are voting over the settlement. If the entire jurry was actually rational and educated they'd give you $20 instead of $2 million because you recieved a regular instead of the ordered diet soda.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
ONYX S-13
Zilvia FREAK!

Fantastic point.. I never even thought about it in that way.I'd +rep you if it were still here =P
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
keistyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
keistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via AIM to keistyle
It's a good watch
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
sam&cheese
Leaky Injector

sam&cheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Corbic clearly didn't watch the video. Monetary solutions solve nothing and all they do is propagate slavery which is more or less what he described. People should be free to do as they please and enrich humanity.

You have a bleak, fascist view of what society should be and really need to reflect on what is truly important to humanity.

When the hyper-inflated derivative and bond market crashes in 6-8 months and monetary systems collapse come and tell me how important it is to know about a political system... which ironically you know nothing about!
sam&cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
tiggertsi
Zilvia Member

tiggertsi is an unknown quantity at this point
those things aren't taught in school because that is not school's primary design. just do any research on the history of education in america and the men who set up the prussian based education system that we have and it becomes apparent and clear what school was meant to do. in the words of Ellwood P. Cubberley, "Our schools are ... factories in which the raw products (children) are to be shaped and fashioned .... And it is the business of the school to build its pupils according to the specifications laid down."

btw if you want real history, particularly of america, you need or should read Carroll Quigley's book Tragedy and Hope. If it can be found a first edition printing is by far the best and most accurate, but it is a disturbing read regardless.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #25
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Creeper View Post
We need to know our history as to not repeat our previous mistakes.
Get out much?