Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
Keegster
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Keegster will become famous soon enoughKeegster will become famous soon enoughKeegster will become famous soon enoughKeegster will become famous soon enoughKeegster will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Notchtop rebuid help

I'm about half way through this notchtop rebuild, and I think I have to go backwards. So far I have the bottom end together, the head on, cams in, timing chain tensioner on, and the vvt cover on.

I just realized that you have to put the timing chain cover on before the head and cams. Can I slide the bolts past the cam gears, after taking the vvt cover off? I really don't feel like taking it all apart again. Most of the information I find is for redtops and I cant find anything about this specifically anyway, that's why I ask.

Do you think it would be worth running the ebay front mount? My car is pretty straight and nothing major has been done to it. I'm more leaning to a mid mount or oem side mount, instead of cutting my aprons.

Is there any difference with sr and ka power steering pump? Is there a difference in the notchtop and redtop brackets? I have a redtop bracket, but I don't know which one is the right one.

And do you all think I should start a build thread? I've owned the car for almost a year and a half, so I would have a lot of catching up to do.

If you want to know the scenario it's a notchtop with a z32 turbo, that was in a s13 hatch. It will be going back into a s13 hatch. The whole motor was rebuilt around 250 miles ago according to the seller (it's really really clean everywhere). Then the oil pressure light came on and he immediately shut it off. I bought it dissembled. I've been slowly getting it back together, and I've rebuilt a ka24de before. I haven't found anything wrong with it yet (I did find that the front seal was crooked, and made in mexico, the rest of the gaskets the guy used were metal so it's really weird). I replaced the bearings and have been using a oem rebuild kit. I don't know how old it is, how long it's been in the us, if it has been tuned, or what has been done to the harness to go into a s13. I also have a spare redtop that is half apart and the oem gt28 turbo.

Any help on anything would be very much appreciated.
Keegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
santasnowman

Trader Rating: (0)
santasnowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gears have to come out to tighten those two 10mm bolts on the inside of the head that go into the front cover.
santasnowman is offline   Reply With Quote