Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Gold Coast S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
s14 Massive condensation issue with my D-Max LED tail lights

So I'm not too sure where to put this thread but you know... it's kinda a chat type deal so eff it and here we go.

I have a massive condensation issue with my D-Max LED tail lights. I don't want to get rid of them because 1. They're fvcking D-Max LED tail lights... (MCR boys type bidness) 2. It took forever to get them from Japan. 3. They seem to be sold out as far as I can see 4. They look dope af at night time. 5. I just genuinely love them.

Here's where I need opinions. Can these be pulled apart and dried and then resealed properly so they don't condensate again? If so does anyone here do that or is it a fairly simple process I can do myself? (If this be it, step by step hold my hand thru it because I don't want to fuck shit up and ruin my tail lights :/)

Thanks for the time and hopefully the help.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:59 AM   #2
woofy

Trader Rating: (0)
woofy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've seen the suby guys throw their headlights in the oven to soften the adhesive,pop the lens off and paint the insides, don't know know what resealing process they do but if no one here has done it before you might ask on NASIOC or something for some pointers/tips.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can Google it, but drilling a small hole in the bottom of the tail lights seems to be a popular fix.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
They should open up with some heat and you can re seal them with lens sealant Theretrofitsource.com sells it. Water could also be getting in from the back if they arent sealed onto the body. Dmax lights are the exact same made in China junk you see all over ebay and amazon no need to sugar coat it. Those leds are going to fail soon enough and you will go back to stock kouki tails. Want an led 3rd brake light?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
FRSport has them brand new for $340.
Spyder makes pretty much the same exact thing for about $100 less.

or the oven or hole drilling work
Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Brand new for $340!? Dude I might just grab some new ones then especially if they're stateside already. I went thru GTR Garage and had to wait a month and a half to get them. I'm just gonna drill a little hole and hope they drain, but I'll try the oven method first. Just pop in the oven at 350 and then pull the lenses off? Wouldn't that tweak the plastic tho?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

350 will damage the lights. start at 220 for about 15 minutes. Make sure you remove all bulbs, clips, and hardware.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Or does anyone know if they still make the Yashio Factory Kouki tails? Google and Bing only show me the S15 tails.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

"*spongebob* Condensaaaation"

OK so 220 15 minutes, pull lenses off, let cool, buy resealant off that website listed above and everything should be gravy? And can I use that same sealant for the body so water doesn't get in from the back?
Old 09-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

yes you can use butyl windscreen sealant for the lenses and the housing to body

BTW the TF/D-max lights are the exact same as the ebay lights. They all say sonar right there on the lens. The only difference is the TF/Dmax ones come in a box with some jdm writing and a sticker. If you think that sticker is worth the extra money you're getting duped.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
andisan
Nissanaholic!

andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
I would do the oven technic and dry it good then seal it like a pro, and just like any brand we pay for the label, but in reality they are all made in China just with a different name on the box, unless you know it's an American made product
Old 09-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Coast S14 View Post
"*spongebob* Condensaaaation"
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psngfw4bfr.jpg

OK so 220 15 minutes, pull lenses off, let cool, buy resealant off that website listed above and everything should be gravy? And can I use that same sealant for the body so water doesn't get in from the back?
Did you properly seal the headlights to the body with butyl tape like the factory units?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
When I bought mine I read about these problems with the lights, so to make sure I didn't have those type of problems I sealed them with silicone before putting them on. Haven't had a problem since.

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cool stickers!
My work here is done
Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Renamed the thread and everything haha ok so I get that I am just buying a brand name but that's all gravy with me because I think D-Max is rad as hell so I'll support them with a few extra dollars.

Yep definitely gonna try the baking method and then resealed them myself with silicone and then use it again to seal them to the body. I did not use the tape I just used the gaskets that came in the box. Did great till now (8 months)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Be careful trying to put these in the oven. One of my friends drove out to Vegas from Cali and in the few days that he was here, the sun/heat warped his Sonar/D-Max/Spyder/TF/eBay lights. Throwing them in the oven may cause undesirable results, but i guess you reall don't have any other options at this point.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #17
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

You're not buying a brand name, you're paying more for the same product that's simply been repackaged by a different retailer...
Old 09-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #18
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
350 will damage the lights. start at 220 for about 15 minutes.
Turn over mid-way.

Add seasoning.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Turn over mid-way.

Add seasoning.

No no, leave alone undisturbed for at least 45 minutes so you get crispy skin.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook-E View Post
Be careful trying to put these in the oven. One of my friends drove out to Vegas from Cali and in the few days that he was here, the sun/heat warped his Sonar/D-Max/Spyder/TF/eBay lights. Throwing them in the oven may cause undesirable results, but i guess you reall don't have any other options at this point.
^ hehe... wise words
i was going to suggest the same thing

aftermarket lights are not made with the same quality plastics as most OE lights. this means they have an easier time warping. you will be lucky if you are able to pull off this repair job, even a seasoned professional would think twice before attempting this (i would).

with that said, if you dont mind being ghetto about it.. you may want to try to quickest, easiest, and dirtiest method which someone already advised, squeeze silicone into the perimeters and call it a day. its not the right sealant, but it may save you from having a warped set of tail lights

ps: those lights suck anyway, you should just revert back to stock
Old 09-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Same friend whose lights warped also had condensation in his lights. I believe that he ended up drying them out with a hair dryer and then using clear silicone around all of the edges.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #22
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Well fuck... so it's either I bake em and warp the tits outta them, or hairdryer them and get some clear silicone and hope for the best...

-_- I was really hoping for a straight "wham bam do this do that bada bing bada boom your shits solid again son" type answer haha

Last edited by Gold Coast S14; 09-28-2015 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Sweg bruh
Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #23
Agent S14
Zilvia Member

Agent S14 is making a name for him/her selfAgent S14 is making a name for him/her self
I went to academy and take those lil baggies they put in shoes when I bought my used set took the condensation out then I just resealed them with lens sealant and poof no more issues
Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #24
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Coast S14 View Post
I was really hoping for a straight "wham bam do this do that bada bing bada boom your shits solid again son" type answer
The answer you seek lies within:

http://www.thenismoshop.com/Nissan-F...UKI_p_471.html
Old 09-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #25
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook-E View Post
I see what you did there... clever.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #26
bladetech8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
bladetech8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Honestly you best bet and most guaranteed not to have condensation again is to take the smallest drill bit you have and just drill a tiny inconspicuous hole somewhere.. I had D-MAX S13 fastback tail lights, and my center garnish piece between the tail lights used to FILL UP with water when I washed my 240 until I finally drilled two tiny holes on opposite sides. None of this garbage happens anymore because us fastback guys are blessed with the coolest OEM factory tail lights (Kouki 180SX) and I'm rocking those now. :P
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #27
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
throw a bag of silica inside them lol.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #28
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah I'm gonna drill the holes and then slip a bag of silica inside for a hot minute, reseal them 10 ways to Sunday and call it a day. There's too many contradicting opinions on baking them.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #29
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Silica desiccants are only short term solutions to light condensation, they are not a fix for water leakage. you guys are confusing two different situations. Examples:

1) you decide to get your freak on with a girl in your car, windows up. windows go foggy = thats condensation.

2) you decide to get your r-kelly freak on and piss on a girl = thats water leakage.

If you are getting water entry into a light assembly, the water entry point needs to be re-sealed. There are a multitude of entry points when it comes to a light assembly. But when its aftermarket, there are even MORE entry points.

A perfect example of why aftermarket lights suck so bad can be found here:
http://clearcorners.com/tech/003/pg02.shtml (scroll down)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #30
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
It's because you have too many stickers

I drilled a hole in my D-Max tails on one of my old cars and then resealed the shit out of them.
Closed Thread