Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:46 AM   #61
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Deezal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As always there's never a dull moment. Over the last couple of weeks we've had the car out a couple of times. Had issues with the trans blowing oil out the breather so have put a catch can on that. Blew 2 frost plugs out, one of the back of the head and one out of the back of the block. Melted the plug on the boost controller which fried the board in it so it's been sent to aussie. Found the wheels were just hitting the shock canisters on full lock so also had to make new mounting brackets for them to keep them out of harms way.

Then last week the guide sleeve for the release bearing worked itself loose, would appear as though when it was assembled in the US one of the threads was stripped and it has fretted on the other two till they let go and jammed the guide in the release bearing and tried to take the diaphragm out of the clutch.

All of which has now been sorted except for the boost controller as I've just put a bleed valve in. Also replaced the brake cylinders to try and get better feel. Wheels finally showed up and got the tyres mounted but have no found I've got next to no clearance to the calipers so have attacked the calipers with a belt sander.

Replaced the trigger wheel in the cas with a 24 tooth equivalent and recalibrated the ECU aswell as installing some MSD superconductor plug leads which appears to have fixed my missfire issue at 7200rpm and it will now pull past 8000 without load. Will find out tomorrow night what it does with load on it.

Also fabbed up a new header tank to help prevent the cooling system sucking air in as on the first iteration the neck was too close to the top so if any air came out and the water level dropped it would suck air into the back of the head.

Got the car corner balanced tonight and it sat at 58% weight to the rear and 966kg with me in it and the front/back off the car. That's with the undertrays on and 35-40L of gas onboard.

Deezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #62
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Thats a super bum deal...

Have you considered something like this to help with the positive pressure?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6nGc8dfY_w
Old 02-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #63
Deezal
Leaky Injector

The frost plugs that I blew out were in the water galleries not the oil. You'd think it would try and blow off hoses first if the headgasket wasn't sealing properly. Find out tonight if it's still doing it.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #64
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Unbelievable progress, congrats on getting the power put down. If you're still having issues with the CAS is suggest a hall type sensor similar to what the engineering2slide guy uses on his SRs

Old 02-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #65
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Yeah a hall effect kit is the next option if I'm still having issues. Wanted to try and make the cas work as I haven't got the time at the moment to be pulling the head off and getting it setup for the sensor.

As far as harnessing the power, needed 5th gear on the dyno to get it to stop wheel spinning
Old 02-20-2017, 02:03 AM   #66
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Had it on the dyno ironing out some kinks both nights before the race meeting, found it was pushing water out but that was due to air locks in the head so we've added a bleeder in the frost plug which goes up to the top of the water gallery. Replacing the trigger wheel with a 24 tooth unit and making new MSD leads up for it appears to have fixed the missfire also and it now revs out like it's supposed too.

Qualifying went without a hitch. In race 1 I DNF'd due to broken wires on the TPS. Race 2 I started 34th and finished 7th after battling through some heavy traffic.

Saturday night I wound some more wing angle on and dropped the front splitter down but I wound it too far so between that and the spring perches unwinding on the track it wore over half the front splitter though in the 3rd race as I got from 7th up to 4th after a good battle with a V8 ford Capri. There was a lot of vibration coming back through the car though with it bottoming out which made it rather awkward to drive.

Last race of the day I DNF'd but managed to drop another 1.8 seconds off my time from qualifying and had a great tussle with the 358CI nascar powered falcon. The DNF was a result of a fuel line which had vibrated loose and lost fuel pressure as a result. When I pulled into the pits the fuel vapor ignited and I ended up with a small fire in the engine bay. Thankfully it was quickly extinguished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZJ9raMAqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCTHuu0G348&t=
Old 02-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #67
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Love this build, so nice to see someone doing something different!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #68
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm super impressed by how quickly you work! I'm really loving this build and the results.

Also, that tent is sweet as!
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #69
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
awesome project! post some in-car footage!
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #70
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Thanks guys.

The bottom two YouTube links on my post are footage from the last 2 races of the weekend. I spent 10 mins trying to get them to embed into my post but it wasn't working.

If any mods see this please feel free to fix it up for me. Cheers.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #71
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Followed this from the start, so cool to see you get it out on the track!
Well done man, very impresssive!!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #72
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezal View Post
Thanks guys.

The bottom two YouTube links on my post are footage from the last 2 races of the weekend. I spent 10 mins trying to get them to embed into my post but it wasn't working.

If any mods see this please feel free to fix it up for me. Cheers.
Looks like alot of fun! do you have hard time heel-towing with your current setup?

Below is how you embed :

(yt)pjZJ9raMAqM(/yt)

replace () with []

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZJ9raMAqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCTHuu0G348&t=
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #73
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Yeah heel toeing is a bit awkward with the pedal setup, got it as good as I can for now.

Thanks for that, I tried to use the YT tags on the forum but it wouldn't load the videos and kept coming up with errors.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #74
AscendaShogun
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
AscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This is an awesome build!

Im excited for more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
decrepit teenage shitsleds
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
"Cut my springs, car is bouncy, will a camber kit help?"
AscendaShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #75
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Heard you had another fire Deezal ??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #76
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers. Had it back on track last weekend and again this evening. No issues tonight but as you just mentioned I did have another little fire during the weekend. After my issues with trying to get it going again after the last fire I'd flooded it and ended up with a bit of enthanol in the oil which ended up in the breather tank for the dry sump and the fumes ignited so I've now moved the breather to the intake side of the engine. On the plus side I was roughly a second faster just out there testing than in the last race meeting and there's still so much left in it. That was running at approx 23psi, slightly less than the last race day.

Will have a lengthy update next week with some pics and hopefully some onboard footage also.

I update the facebook page more regularly, Vesuvius Racing.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 AM   #77
Deezal
Leaky Injector

So it's been fairly busy over the last few weeks fixing various little issues and creating more... Made some new shock mounts and altered the rear ones, move the breather for the dry sump tank etc.

Found that the VVL wasn't working on the intake cam last night, so with that sorted again it made a significant improvement to the performance on track today.

As far as the other issues are concerned, the wiring for the cas had got that hot it had shorted together so the car wouldn't start and a few of the other sensors were giving funny reading so I replaced those. Found that the main fuse for the ECU had blown but was still conducting 9.5V across it as it had a very high resistance connection. As soon as it had any load it would just brake down and run terribly, that was a tricky one to track down.

Today I ended up with an oil leak in qualifying and some overheating issues. Still managed to stick it on P4, Only got a few laps in before the overheating started to flare up again and then we realised why the handling was so terrible. It wasn't due to the oil on the tyres, it was as a result of the bolts holding the 3 pieces wheels together braking and quite a few of the others are loose. The right rear went completely flat and the front was down around 15-20psi also.

To top it off we found the exhaust side motor mount has torn into 2 pieces, so that's another thing to add to the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5NkH_OCMGc&t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5NkH_OCMGc&t

Last edited by Deezal; 10-02-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 02:55 AM   #78
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Overdue for another update.

After the last race meeting we also found a few other little issues, one of the major's was the fact that the exhaust side motor mount had been incinerated and torn itself in half which is presumably why the engine has been hitting the chassis. Have now replaced it with a jockey wheel and a bolt through it to make it more rigid and added a heat shield.

Also pulled all the wheels apart a few weeks ago and replaced all the cap screws holding them together, found 1-4 on every wheel where the threads had bound up so I'm glad I did the whole lot. Had to replace the right rear tyre as the sidewall had let go after running it half flat.

A few other alterations we'd made before the last meeting was the lagging on the exhaust, head shield for the cas and added DRL's to help make it easier for people to spot me in their mirrors given the roof line is less than 1m.
Made a new fitting up for the frost plug and got Anthony to weld an extra plate of alloy on the side of the header tank so I could tap another fitting in. Now there's a constant circulation through the 8mm hose back to the tank so in theory it will bleed the air out of the head itself.

All going well I'll get it back out for a wee test to make sure all is good before it gets parked up for a couple of months. Just heard back from the organisers running the sprint series at Highlands and it sounds as though I'll be eligible for that next season. http://www.highlands.co.nz/

Old 06-25-2017, 03:14 AM   #79
Deezal
Leaky Injector

700+HP SR20VET Saker GT Build - Circuit racer

Been a bit lazy getting this updated. Been tidying up some of the bodywork and modifying bits and pieces. The front splitter is almost ready for some undercoat after reglassing a more foam onto it and building it back up again. This time it will be certainly getting nylon rub strips under it before it goes back on the track.

Added more glass in around the intake scoop as it was cracking from the loads at the end of the straight and have built the glass back up from where the gel coat let go due to the 2nd fire.

Also had it back on the polytec dyno and have decided to replace the head gasket for piece of mind as we suspected it may have had small leak.

Got the motor stripped down and threw the Kelford cams, new head gasket and rod bearings in this week. Plan is to have it back on the dyno for a retune next month and get the record back for the highest output 4cyl on the APET dyno as well as getting a lot more mid range. Head gasket had been leaking and the head needed 2.5 thou cleaned off it but she should be ready to rock again now. Bearings still looked like new which was a nice bonus.

Numerous little updates planned as far as a new twin element wing which is currently under construction and to complement that I'm going to make some new tunnels through the front of the car. Also going to get a new sway bar made up as the existing one can't be adjusted from where it is. Also just giving the chassis and bodywork a little bit of a tidy up since everything is in bits, finally flaring the vents into the side of the bodywork as I hated the way they were essentially just stuck on the surface.

Few other things in the pipeline as far as finishing the graphic design for it and getting the blower/wiper etc mounted and working as being in Southland I'm sure it'll get used.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:40 AM   #80
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Hi guys, I've been getting chased to put up some updates. Been a bit slack after photobucket decided they wanted everybody to pay $400 for the privilege of 3rd party image sharing.

Found an alternative now so here's a little update of what's been happening recently.

Got the trusty SR running again a few months back, 1st crank on the starter and she burst into life.

Made some good progress on the bodywork also, got the rear bodywork tidied up again but that all deformed where it was on fire above the turbo as the structural integrity of the glass is compromised and have just had to fix it again and put a heat shield in underneath.

Also rehashed the front splitter a few times after it getting severely worn at the first race meeting and modified the pickup points and changed the way the threaded rods mount through the splitter. Also added some nylon rub strips underneath to maintain airflow under the car and help prevent further damage.

Got a new double element rear wing made up also in carbon/foam, based off a profile dauntless racing cars were using. 250mm main chord and 110mm secondary that's 1.8m wide.

In the midst of mounting up my windscreen demister under the dash and modifying the accelerator pedal to make it wider and give it some more feel. Also added some grip tape on the floor.

Got a new sway bar made up so now I can actually adjust it as the other one was hopeless in that respect.

Had it on the dyno a month ago and made 700RWHP and 480lb-ft (approx 800 flywheel hp and 520lb-ft) on 28PSI with the new kelford cams installed.
Still slow building boost, believe it's because we have the low lobes set on the high lobe centerlines as there's no mention of them being different on the spec sheets or which center it refers to. We'd assumed it was the base setting for split timing it. Will retune with them on the right centerlines next year.

Had the car at the track for the first time since March there a couple weeks back and even on 17psi on a greasy track it was only 1 second off my PB so it should be interesting to see what I can get out of it in another fortnight for the first race meeting. With my new Gopro 5 having on board telemetry it will be interesting to have some data overlay on my onboard videos.

Also got sent a CAD file the other night to play around with, it's just a basic silhouette so will try and add more detail to it over the coming months and try and do some basic CFD analysis of my own as I've got a few more ideas in mind for aero advancements.

Last edited by Deezal; 08-29-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #81
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Finally got the formatting sorted out, all the images fit properly now.

Should have new springs to throw in it at the end of the week, up to 700lb fronts and 850 rears to try and stop it bottoming out. Got 70mm clearance to the chassis at the front and 80mm at the back and under braking it was bottoming out at 65mm, lifted it up and cranked the bump stiffness up on the shocks to get a decent run out of it.

With the self bleeder off the back of the head it was maintaining 80degC on 20psi and purring along beautifully, pulling 250kph (155mph) and still braking pretty early seeing as we can hire the track with no safety crews or anything on site. All you need is to have a spotter out there with you.

Youtube links still won't embed no matter what I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5NkH_OCMGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1av0_Nkhk

Last edited by Deezal; 10-02-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Old 08-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #82
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so much win in this thread. keep up the awesome build
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #83
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers, may have to put a vid together of all the build photos and throw it on youtube. Be easier than uploading all the old pics again and replacing all the broken links.

Will most definitely be putting some updates up after the first meeting of the season.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #84
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Build video for those who would like to go back and have a look or who have only just stumbled across the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYf4M00U8a8

Last edited by Deezal; 10-02-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Old 09-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #85
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Unfortunately pulled the pin on the race meeting today as the forecast was for 25mm of rain and wasn't that keen on learning to drive it in the wet in those conditions so opted to leave it on the trailer. Am now doing an event at a track I've never competed on before in 2 weeks (Ruapuna - some of you may have seen it on videogames eg. project cars) so hope to have the car back out this weekend to make sure she's all good to go. Then it's off to Highlands Oct 7th and home again to watch bathurst on the 8th.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:18 AM   #86
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Had the car out on Saturday before the round at Ruapuna but wasn't too thrilled with the handling characteristics so was busy making changes. Unfortunately I had no further opportunities for testing so will just had to drive the ass off it In qualifying regardless of how it is after making these adjustments. Modified the mount for the throttle cable to shorten the throw and make it easier to heel and toe, changed the rear shocks mounts top and bottom to get more droop. Also found the shock canisters a little low on pressure with the left rear being completely empty and changed the mounts for the swaybar.

Didn't get a chance to go any faster than a 1.29.4 had gear change issues for the last 2 races. Only running 18psi so the porsche cup car had far more straight line speed especially having a sequential. Within half a second for my first time up here isn't too bad, would definitely have liked to have found another few seconds. Potential is definitely there, untill next time.

Whipped the trans and clutch off after the meeting and couldn't fault anything mechanically in there. Have changed to motul 75W140 in the trans due to the temps we were seeing and think that may be the issue, the diff likes it but it may be too thick for the trans especially at those rpm's. Will change it back out and see if the problems go away.

As for the gearing through the infield I spoke with Link and found out that with my ecu setup the way I have it it starts to soft limit a few hundred rpm before the limit I've set which is why I'm 10kph below my calculated speeds on the GPS. Have now lifted the limit to compensate which should also help with the powerband allowing it to wind further past peak power.
Have CV boots as the inner one is well and truly stuffed and finish cleaning all the grease up. See if I can get some better balance and get those peak lateral G's closer to 2.5
Onwards and upwards!

Had the car back out to see what was going on with the trans issues, after changing back to the 75W90 it was heaps better but still occasionally playing up but noticed when adjusting the shift cables that the pivot bracket the cables go onto was rotating independently of the selector. Have since pulled it apart and found the roll pin that locks on the tapered flat on the underside of the selector was bent and allowing it to rotate stopping the selector from getting full travel. Have thrown a new pin in it and it should be all sorted.
Also had the header tank welded up again as it's cracked down either side of the neck.

Diffuser looks like it's doing its job looking at the oil trails running through the tunnels. I think the shape of the oil in the outer tunnels is that way from the vortex generated off the edge of the flat floor under the engine as that's roughly the angle it comes back on.

Some footage of race 1 before I kicked the throttle cable off the pedal.
Looking back at this it wouldn't take much to find a second more if not 2 just from braking points and corner speed and then wind the wick up.
Rather uneventful to watch but interesting to finally have some telemetry overlay, the handicap would have been good if not for my gear change issues coming back on lap 2. Should have been right in the hunt for the win.

https://youtu.be/4mFZdDDWDNM

https://youtu.be/4mFZdDDWDNM&fs=1" width="644" height="390">https://youtu.be/4mFZdDDWDNM&fs=1" />https://youtu.be/4mFZdDDWDNM">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/4mFZdDDWDNM

As you can see, still can't get youtube links to embed properly...

Now to get the last couple of tidy up jobs done before highlands this weekend.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:22 AM   #87
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
dude minus the gremlins you are sorting out this looks and sounds fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mFZdDDWDNM
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #88
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers, nature of the beast with building something completely left field is the teething issues and experimentation required to make it work...

Will wind a little more boost up it for this weekend, pretty low speed track. Maxed out in 3rd for most of the straights and I doubt I'll exceed 200kph on this configuration we're running.

Appreciate you sorting out the link. I wish I knew why I keep getting those silly error messages.

EDIT: Huge thanks to RB25GUY, I now know what I was doing wrong with the youtube links. Will have it sorted from here on in!

Last edited by Deezal; 10-02-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Old 10-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #89
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
This has been a joy to follow! Keep it up m8
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #90
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Ahh happy i could help sort it out it was nothing.... Just glad you are kind enough to share your endeavors with this mental Saker GT!
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote