Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #31
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
hellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
Awesome build, I also love how you incorporated living life, I 100% agree not to get caught up in your build and forgetting to the fun things.

Cant wait to see this finished some nice parts in here, if you ever sell that bride LMK
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counteract View Post
Damn, you went in on that!

The comparison from first S13 to current S14 is incredible.

Cannot wait to see more man, this is the only S body thread that has actually made me miss mine!
Thank you! I appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Nah, I'd tear back into it and replace it. Also see the below comment. I had thought it was strange but I didn't comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
ahh word didn't even look at the comments. Saw that pic and went straight to comment
Thanks for weighing in Sileighty_85 and tricky_ab. This is my first time ever working on a motor so I don't really know what I am looking at most of the time. Learning as I go. Just placed an order for a new oil pickup...

Also, I think I will be posting the next round of updates on page 2... page 1 may be too cluttered with photos which may make the page too sluggish.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #32
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

hellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enough
Bryan stopped by for a bit. Coolest hatch yo.

Need a 3" to 2.5" reducer... picked up this one from oreilly but it looked like crap quality compared to this tomei 3" silicone coupler so I decided to return it and order one online...

Decided it was time to mock up the intercooler. Since the dude who bought my KA wanted to keep the AC, I said heck with it and went for the parts shop max highmount intercooler.
I really wanted to run AC, but it seemed like another headache I didn't feel like dealing with. This car is probably going to see the street like twice a month,
I guess I can live without the AC.

Intercooler was packaged nicely. Arrived undamaged. Thanks parts shop max.

Got it mocked up to see where I would have to cut.

Part of the battery tray was in the way so I trimmed it.

Finished cutting. I think I cut out a little more than I needed at the top of the passenger side... oh well.. (dying inside)

Next interior piece that needed attention was the headliner. Decided I wanted full black interior. I didn't want to do the dye since it was messy and I didn't have
a good experience with it when I tried dying my carpet with RIT black dye (wasted $100 on dye).

Gonna use the good ol dupli-color flat black fabric dye. It goes on nice and easy. Only downside is it makes the fibers a little crusty. It isn't too bad. I will probably
end up pulling the headliner sometime in the future and wrap it with some suede or alcantara fabric. For now, paint will do.

Here is the finished product. Looking pretty sweet.

My failed attempt at dying the carpet. Not sure why the dye was not being held in the fibers... attempted dying it twice. Both times the dye just washed out.. why...?
Oh well, might as well spray paint this thing while its out. I entertained the idea of getting aftermarket carpet, but I read too many mixed reviews.
Might just go that route the next time I decided to rip out all my interior and redo it. I'll wait until the motor is done.

And the finished product... not too shabby. I think I used like 3 cans or so. If you don't lay the paint on too heavy the fibers will stay soft.

Put the carpet back in. It didn't fit 100% since it was sitting out in the sun for a few weeks while I was trying to sort the dye/paint situation.
The rubber got a bit warped. Wasn't too happy about this.. Hopefully once my interior is put back together it will start to form back.

Wasn't sure how to pull the sunroof cover off... was feeling a bit lazy so I just taped everything off and went on with spraying it still installed on the car.

And now I have a black headliner... woo woo.

Decided that I was going to figure out my front and rear brake situation later. I had these pads and rotors sitting around and I was bored
so I decided why not throw them on for the mean time.

Here is the old stuff on the car currently...

New rotors (left) vs old rotors (right)

New pads (left) vs old pads (right)

Don't forget to grease the brake pad retainer clips or else you'll squeak everyone to death

Was wearing my cool DQM socks. FUCK LUCK

All done... hope my ebrake will lock better now.

Tore my 326power coilovers apart. Wanted to clean them up a bit and get the measurements of the springs so I can order 10kg/8kg swift springs in pink.

Resumed the intake side since my spare injector finally came in...

I think I have ADHD.. I was staring at the engine bay and felt like it was of higher priority so I went started working on it. I had some bondo that I felt like messing around with
so I attempted to smooth out one of the arches with the bondo. I had these little craters from when I was hammering the shit out of it from the inside of the wheel well.
It kind of bothered me so I spent some time bondoing and smoothing it out. If I messed this up it wasn't going to be a big deal since my coolant overflow tank and air filter should be covering it.

Engine bay was dirty so I completely degreased it and hosed it down. After all the dirt was gone I started noticing lots of scratches and imperfections.
I really wanted to get the engine bay professionally painted but I really did not want to deal with the hassle of having it towed to a paint shop and then towed back.
Maybe i'll do it after my next engine swap or rebuild. Decided just to spray it with some rustoleum gloss black. Turned out pretty nice.

Resumed assembling the intake side of the engine. My buddy gave me this DIF throttle body gasket laying around so I decided to use it.

Intake side is almost complete. Got most of the hoses connected. Got the injectors installed and wired up. Threw the throttle body with new gasket back on the intake manifold.
I hope I am not forgetting anything... (I am really forgetful)

Thought i'd throw the belts on. Here is the oem power steering pump belt.

Then the alternator/fan belt

ANNNNDDDD of course it doesn't fit. Didn't realize that the OEM belt would not work with the yashio pulley and upgraded quest alternator... GRRRREEAAAAAT... what now?
I'm guessing I need a longer belt... was not able to find a definitive answer by googling around. If anyone can chime in on this that would be great. I might have to search deeper...

Had some left over metallic paint and was wondering how it would look in the engine bay. I didn't like how glossy the black was. I hit the side with some of the metallic paint and it actually
looked really good. I think I am going to proceed with painting the rest of the engine bay with the metallic paint and then cover it with a few coats of clear. Just when I thought I was done...

Last edited by hellaslows13; 09-17-2015 at 02:09 AM..
hellaslows13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #33
Arteeste
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Arteeste is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Clean build & that J. Dilla frame !!!
Arteeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #34
slow40sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
slow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slow40sx
sweet build dude, car is rad as fuck
Old 09-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #35
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Some new updates above ^^^^^^^

Saving this spot for my next batch of updates. Appreciate all of the kind words fellas. Please do not hesistate to comment on anything that might look wrong. I am very inexperienced with building engines. This is my first time ever working on an engine, any tip will help!

~stay wavy~
Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #36
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
for the belt, bolt the alternator to the spot it needs to be at, take a string, wrap it around all the pulley. measure the length of the string and count how many "ribs" there are on the belt.

Gates K050370 is the stock belt size on SR, so going off of that, it's a 5 ribbed and 37 inches ID(The OD measurement will be 0.5 inches longer, so actual measure meant of the belt on the outside will be 37.69 inches in this case), try 39 or 40 inch belt.( So that'll put you at K050380 or K050390 belt part numbers) buy both, fit them on and return the one you don't use.

FIY, the belts also go up in 0.5 inch scale, so it is possible that you'll need K050385.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #37
Counteract
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Counteract is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also, you may have new pads and discs at the back, but S14 handbrakes are notoriously bad! I had a hydraulic handbrake in my last S14 which wasn't too bad with standard rear brakes, though if you want a real good lock up your best bet is to go Z32
Counteract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #38
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
very cool car. Is 56k still a thing? lol
Old 09-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #39
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
I was about to say that ha! Anyways cool build
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #40
JRex
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JRex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Love this build. I never thought about spraying the headliner like that...I was going to recover mine in black but I might just spray it now.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #41
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
I consider AT&T U-verse/DSL 56k lol. There are still some out there with under 10mbps download speed...

Oh and btw, your comment means alot. Your red zenki was one of my favorite growing up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
for the belt, bolt the alternator to the spot it needs to be at, take a string, wrap it around all the pulley. measure the length of the string and count how many "ribs" there are on the belt.

Gates K050370 is the stock belt size on SR, so going off of that, it's a 5 ribbed and 37 inches ID(The OD measurement will be 0.5 inches longer, so actual measure meant of the belt on the outside will be 37.69 inches in this case), try 39 or 40 inch belt.( So that'll put you at K050380 or K050390 belt part numbers) buy both, fit them on and return the one you don't use.

FIY, the belts also go up in 0.5 inch scale, so it is possible that you'll need K050385.
Thanks Dai Lo
Old 09-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #42
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Here's a funny photo my buddy sent me after he saw the video of me driving bryan's hatch. Genuinely felt happy inside. Can't wait to get my car back on the road...

Old 09-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #43
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslows13 View Post
Oh and btw, your comment means alot. Your red zenki was one of my favorite growing up...
You hear that old man?! You're now washed up!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #44
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You have really good taste man. Good read. Keep it up.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #45
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome stuff dude!!! GOOD LUCK with the build
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #46
LaMaR-
Leaky Injector

LaMaR- is an unknown quantity at this point
Great start so far, Ive looked at your thread 3 times in the last 2 days and cant get over the quality of the work youre doing. Well except the spray painted bay, but if it comes out as good as you claim then good on you. To each their own.
LaMaR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #47
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
You hear that old man?! You're now washed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
You have really good taste man. Good read. Keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatemy7 View Post
Awesome stuff dude!!! GOOD LUCK with the build
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMaR- View Post
Great start so far, Ive looked at your thread 3 times in the last 2 days and cant get over the quality of the work youre doing. Well except the spray painted bay, but if it comes out as good as you claim then good on you. To each their own.

This bothered me too.. I am not a big fan of spray paint. I feel a little overwhelmed with this build already as it is. I have a buddy who did his whole car with rustoleum (bryan's red hatch in the above post is painted with rustoleum ) so it kind of convinced me that it's something I could live with. After seeing how it looked with the gloss black > matallic > clear coat I was convinced this will be sufficient for the mean time.

Also, I am NOT building a show car. If this was a show car then I would have definitely had the engine bay professionally done. This is a street car/drift car/mountain car. It will be drifted and possibly crashed. But this won't stop me from getting the engine bay professional painted down the line. I think for now my main goal is to get the car running and exterior looking 100 before anything else. If I had a truck and a flatbed then maybe I would have entertained getting the engine bay painted.

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #48
mikeyee
Leaky Injector

mikeyee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslows13 View Post
Mike yee I miss your red car.. I still remember those days when you taught me how to drift, dirt dropping bangin the limiter in your 86 like it was yesterday.. Lets bring the old days back
Let's race to see whose car gets finished. Then we can crash our cars into the mountains again!
mikeyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #49
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
Favourite build on this site, super cool to see the progress all the way through. Keep up the good work brother
Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #50
Flip2Flow
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Flip2Flow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome build man! Was a great read and i cant wait to do the same with my zenki.
Flip2Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #51
mastadon
Leaky Injector

mastadon is an unknown quantity at this point
Really liking this build. I love that you went with an SR, I really think Nissan did right with the s chassis and the SR is the perfect motor for these cars. You seem to have a great vision for where this is going. You just need to stop crashing cars.
mastadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #52
cespana
Leaky Injector

cespana is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuck...superb job! I just recently received my S14 from japan. Its an 1996 Q's. That means that is a non turbo car. The reason about i took this its because the chasis was unmolested. Im planning to swap to a DET on January! Definitly i will follow some m of your steps! Greetings from Guatemala! uploadfromtaptalk1442598294194.jpg

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI MT7-L09 mediante Tapatalk
cespana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #53
gabefromcali
Leaky Injector

gabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to all
Hell yes, sub'd!
gabefromcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #54
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
this is the coolest build on zilvia right now. really enjoyed reading through so far.

do you have an instagram? edit: just clicked your sig lol
Old 09-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #55
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
If I wasn't so anal, I would've been driving my car by now.

Nothing wrong with a little rattle can in the engine bay. As long as it's done properly, you can get good results.

Long lasting, not really.

Still loving this car.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #56
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
Nothing wrong with a little rattle can in the engine bay. As long as it's done properly, you can get good results.

Long lasting, not really.

Still loving this car.
This. I regret doing mine with a rattle can. It looked great for about 8 months then not so good.

Great build though! Keep it up
Old 09-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #57
Zero-Offset
Zilvia Junkie

Zero-Offset is an unknown quantity at this point
luv dis so much. cant wait to see it run!
Old 09-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #58
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Updates may be a bit slow...

I just picked up one of these things...

I waste no time already picked up an m-tech ii body kit for it.

Trying my best to squeeze in some time for my main squeeze...

In between work, girlfriend, life, and prepping to go back to school I have found very little time to work on the s14. It will be done in due time...

I appreciate everyone keeping up with my build. It seriously motivates me to get some more content and updates for you guys. I am seriously excited to start driving it again. Thanks for all the kind words, means alot.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #59
s13zack

s13zack is an unknown quantity at this point
very good. Looking forward to updates.
s13zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #60
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Finally found some time to work on this thing.

I ended up selling the blue e30 and picked up another one.

Some crucial cleaning supplies

Went to club drift. Brought my camera, but only took two photos lol

My daily driver is up for sale... looking to pick up a 14 STI wagon

What a great way to resume my build. package from FRSport. Already have an Apexi filter but had to order a Z32 version to work with my Z32 MAF. Bummer. Also purchased a new oil pickup since the previous owner of the motor drilled holes in the original one. Finally ordered those DMAX floor mats i’ve been wanting for years now.

My favorite spot for lunch whenever I’m in Santa Cruz (Pono Hawaiian Grill). Love me some scallops. I’m a huge seafood guy.

Jameson seems to be in

You know you are getting old when you get excited about new tools. It was a tough decision for me to choose the Milwaukee impact vs the Snapon and Ingersoll Rand impacts, but I chose Milwaukee because of 5 year warranty and the line up of tools available for their batteries (which are not cheap). I really wanted to go with the IR, but it didn’t have an LED and also did not have many tools compatible with their batteries which ended up being a deal breaker. Looks like my recently purchased IR Air Impact will get little use…

Why do I have two downpipes you ask? Well, I originally started off with the pbm flex cobra pipe. I read that it won’t work with tomei manifold setup since the tomei manifold moves the turbo back a bit, causing the downpipe to make contact somewhere in the tunnel. I found out that another guy running the same setup was able to make it work (camryonbronze). just in case it didn’t work, I picked up the circuit sports oval downpipe because it’s super low friendly, and kinda rare since it’s out of production. wouldnt mind just using it as garage decor lol.