Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
epik1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
epik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Should I track/drift/lap thread *for noobs?*

Hey Zilvia,
I was initially gonna just make a thread asking my personal questions but I think it'd be helpful for noobs to have a place to ask some advice on whether or not to track,etc.

End of the season is coming up, October is the last month for us in Ontario (Canada) and I'm thinking of signing up for the last drift day at my local track with the local club.

What I have:
S14 with: Stock KA24DE (intake lol)[questionable mileage, burns oil, tranny grinds] clutch is in decent condition, lowered on 11 yr old Teins (rear shocks done), stock suspension arms not sure how much negative camber I'm running but it's noticeable?, Z32 brakes all around with working e-brake (Hawk HP+ & EBC GD slotted dimpled rotors).
The other thing is, whoever owned this car at one point (I'm the 8th owner) hacked in a sunroof O_O and took out the reinforcement bar on the roof that is between the b-pillars.

I don't want to do anymore hooning around on streets or at least stay away from it and hit the track. But should I even try to hit the track to drift with such a pos? =P (picked up the car for summer job, I've owned it since May this year)

Thanks guys, go easy on the noob !
epik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
why not?

Drift cars are POS. The cheaper the drift car for a learner the better.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you will learn soooo much more on a track then you ever would on the streets. Lean in a shitty car and if you enjoy it then build a nicer one. that way you wont be super bummed if and when you break a nicely built car.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
epik1
Zilvia Member

dolph, I'm cadence on son240sx btw lol

I'm more worried about my car breaking down and I won't be able to get home haha
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by epik1 View Post
dolph, I'm cadence on son240sx btw lol

I'm more worried about my car breaking down and I won't be able to get home haha
always have some tow money in thebank incase.

Even the best built cars break down.

oil change and tune up before you go.
(oil for sure, cant stress that enough, it may be full, but old oil wont do its job)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
epik1
Zilvia Member

eesh towing from the track to my house is a 2-hour ride haha expensive tow.

shoot I completely forgot I don't even own a jack, portable impact gun, or torque wrench....

=\ super noob just wants to drift lol.
I know it's a general rule of thumb from my grip buddies that I should have:
-extra set of rotors & pads
-DOT 5 brake fluid changed before and after track
-oil is a must especially since I burn lol
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Dude, get out there and learn. Doing an event before winter will give you clues as to what you may need for next year. Do as many events as you can, you'll learn quicker the more you do; you'd be surprised what you learn from just one.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
That and you'll be aet^

Start stocking wheels/tires even steelies

Save every penny for coils/diff/seat
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
andrew600
ill tongue punch her fart box

Trader Rating: (12)
andrew600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
yea i have a nice sr hatch daily. im picking up another 240 over the winter for drifting. i like drifting but i dont wanna tear up my baby. pos drift is where its at
andrew600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
DenkiMan!
Zilvia Addict

DenkiMan! is an unknown quantity at this point
get to that event. it took me a full year before i could get my s14 out on the track, and to me it was basically a year wasted lol. i went to 2 events (1 was a 2 day event) right before school started this summer and it was the best move i made when it comes to noobtastic drifting. my car is a little more stock than yours at this point, main upgrades really being kyb agx's struts with stock springs, polyurethane mounts and a welded diff lol. thats all i needed to have an amazing time and improve a whole lot by each consecutive day of track time. theres no one to help you when you crash drifting on the streets except mindless bystanders and the police...keep that in mind

oh and if you go to this event, try and find the pros or the really really good drivers and have them sit with you for a couple of runs. it helps you THAT much, i know some more experienced drivers and when i asked them to sit with me i learned boatloads more about drifting than i could on my own
Looking for another pair of 17x9 Veilside Andrew Racing V's
DenkiMan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
russian
Zilvia FREAK!

russian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to russian
Quote:

I know it's a general rule of thumb from my grip buddies that I should have:
-extra set of rotors & pads
-DOT 5 brake fluid changed before and after track
-oil is a must especially since I burn lol
dont need ANY of that shit.
have never seen anyone need a change of pads or a broken rotor. you do that shit before you go to the track. dot 5 isnt compatible with what we run. put dot 3/4 done. it doesnt leak great. fuck it.

jack, jackstands, tool box, extra oil, coolant, your tire/wheel spares, helmet. water for hydration and tampons.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Metal Angel
Leaky Injector

Metal Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
OP, thanks for posting. I'm always afraid to ask this question, even though I want to. It's great to see vets encouraging noobs to get into the sport. We too have one event left, but I don't think I will be able to scrounge up enough money for wheels, tires, and entry fee First event of next summer or bust!!
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
epik1
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian View Post
dont need ANY of that shit.
have never seen anyone need a change of pads or a broken rotor. you do that shit before you go to the track. dot 5 isnt compatible with what we run. put dot 3/4 done. it doesnt leak great. fuck it.

jack, jackstands, tool box, extra oil, coolant, your tire/wheel spares, helmet. water for hydration and tampons.
LOL for leaks right?

This "last drift day of the season" is a full 8:30AM-5PM session too! :O

I'm scared of breaking something I won't be able to fix on the spot x_x lol

I could play it "safe" drifting and be conservative but knowing myself, I'll want to go all out balls out!...and will probably end up breaking something =\
Thanks for all your replies guys, really helps in trying to make the decision.

My feelings says yes but all logic says no LOL
Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
Mustache240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Mustache240 is making a name for him/her selfMustache240 is making a name for him/her selfMustache240 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
my car is completely stock with welded diff, heated springs, and automatic i still managed to go out to the local track for my first time and do pretty good. I was running a set of bald 18s in the back with 60psi on them haha. theres no need for all the fancy stuff if you are barely learning. That comes in later when you are financially able and have better skills. Just go out and have some fun with your car!
Mustache240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
epik1
Zilvia Member

LOL 60 PSI I hear thats the best ghetto way to slide easy haha.
TBH I don't know what kind of diff I have, I've had different people tell me different things, All I can tell is that its 6-bolt axles.
The mechanic that works on my car everytime I find something I can't do, tells me I might have an aftermarket LSD, others have said I have open diff.
I can do half-decent burn outs and donuts no problem?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
I could play it "safe" drifting and be conservative but knowing myself, I'll want to go all out balls out!...and will probably end up breaking something =\
Thanks for all your replies guys, really helps in trying to make the decision.

My feelings says yes but all logic says no LOL
Just so you know, your not gonna be drifting, your gonna be doing donuts, figure 8's and sliding out.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
epik1
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
Just so you know, your not gonna be drifting, your gonna be doing donuts, figure 8's and sliding out.
but I'm asian = drift king

LOl jk
I don't expect any less
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
epik1
Zilvia Member

ok, if I can get enough sets of tires I will sign up. It's a full 8hr drift session! I want to see if I can go all day prob not but take advantage of it
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #19
Copilot911
Leaky Injector

Copilot911 is an unknown quantity at this point
You have a dual cam and you most likely won't be drifting enough to burn tires off, you should be fine with like 2-4 wheels to burn off.
Copilot911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #20
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copilot911 View Post
You have a dual cam and you most likely won't be drifting enough to burn tires off, you should be fine with like 2-4 wheels to burn off.
ya on my first track day i went through 2 sets with my SR. I was trying to get a hang of the whole sliding thing.

Just go out and have fun, know your limit tho... once you get the hang of it you push yourself more haha
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
in the little posts there are in this thread right now , ive learned so much

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote