Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
pjurisprudencia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HKS SR22det S13 Kouki Type-X build

hey guys, fairly new to the forums, never really posted or got on just due to my style of living. I don't really go on my computer or play video games much, always out doing something else or on my phone. My names Paulo, 23 located out in Las Vegas, NV, and this will be my build thread on my S13 Hatch.

ill be stealing most of my pictures from my facebook and instagram so they won't be of best quality.

It all started with this car when I ended up trading my old lexus for this car after i smashed my oil pan for the 11th or 12th time, this time being only 3 days since i just resealed a new pan on it. After that i was done with the car and wanted it gone. My buddy had messaged me to give him the car for the hatch in his driveway which i haven't even seen or even knew he had. Later that night i drove over, took a look at the car and we ended up trading the next week. I had converted my lexus back to stock and drove the car onto the trailer with no oil or pan and we just swapped cars.

The car was a 1991 Nissan 240SX LE hatchback, LE meaning it had the rear wiper blades, leather seats, etc. The car barely ran so the next day i set off to grab a set of plugs, and adjusted timing and got the car in driving condition.

sat stock for a good while, then ended up spinning a rod bearing one evening sliding it in the rain, the one and only time i have taken it sliding since it was open diff automatic. This left me in a predicament, i didn't need two broken 240's so i had to make a Decision, keep my coupe that i have slowly and only partially serious about working on and toss this chassis or yank the SR22 out of the coupe and swap it into the hatch. I opted to do the extra work and pull the SR22 out of the coupe and swap it into my hatch because i know the hatch is more solid and complete and well better taken care of than the coupe was. The coupe has rotted frame rails, front end damage and etc.

Now the fun began, yanked the SR out of the coupe, and traded it to my buddy for my old Garsons back. I could have easily dropped the motor back into the hatch that same week but i opted not too. Just like my coupe I cleaned out the engine bay and prepped it to get ready for paint.

Sprayed base

Sprayed clear

now the fun begins, throwing the whole car back together with the power plant.
As crazy as it sounds I came up on this SR from a buddy of mine from the east coast. He had a buddy who had ripped this SR out of a car in japan, shipped it to the US, ran it and then sold it to my buddy who then sold it to me out here in Las Vegas. Its an HKS SR22Det Stroker and came with a bunch of goodies. We haven't torn the motor apart because it was never really needed. The motor had no issues and ran amazing for the passed few years. Supposedly built by HKS in japan. Blue printed and balanced etc. I can't say if thats true for a fact but by the way the motor runs and feels i wouldn't doubt it. It was dyno tuned on 100 octane and 21lbs pushing 450 to the wheels. I keep it a a very modest 10 lbs since its my first ever 240. Never drove the coupe. As soon as the paint was dry enough, I got straight down to business and busted out the install on a nice warm saturday morning by myself.

Heres some information on the motor itself
HKS SR22det Stroker kit consisting of crank, sleeves, rods, and pistons
HKS GTRS Turbo
ISIS Manifold, old apexi had cracked and this is what the previous owners replaced it with.
Tomei adjustable cam gears, confirmed this when i had to pop the valve cover off for typical sr20 things (Foreshadowing)

I was able to get the car rolling and driving for a vegas drift event which was a totally bad idea since i rushed the hell out of it and left a lot of things half assed like not even mounting my PBM HMIC other than the two hose couplers. I ended up getting boost leaks that whole evening just driving down the road and running rich as hell.

Tacos with buddies

got made fun of my ride height so these went on the evening after

threw the front garsons on and you can see the PBM HMIC chillin.

Ended up trying to slide it and drive it, ended up over boosting it due to a backwards boost controller, and was experiencing lean AFR's and fuel cut issues.

Drifted it one night and then boom. I get a heavy misfire out of cylinder 4.
Did a comp test, 3 cylinders were at 180 the 4th was giving me weird patterns of 0-50psi readings which made no sense. Id crank the motor up with no plug and just watch fuel vapor puff out of the top of the motor so that told me that the bottom end is still compressing yet no compression reading. hmmmmm.

pulled the valve covers off and boom find this.

Blew out both intake and exhaust rockers in cylinder 4, for those that still don't understand why im getting funky compression readings, you can't get compression when you have no air to even compress.

Also boys and girls don't let your SR's rev passed 8500-9k...... you blow rocker arms. I'm a noob to turbo and sr20's so i had no idea this was even a design flaw.... I changed my driving style real quick after this happened.
Shinyyyy

threw some extra rockers that i had in the garage and she was all good to go again.

since the engine bay and exterior were where i wanted it to be for now i decided to start changing the interior up a bit.

Threw some buckets in to keep me in tight, and my Nardi that i have had laying around for about a year now.

I hated multiple colored things so decided to swap in a stock black top cover. Im not a very flashy kind of person so this made me a lot happier seeing a very stockish looking sr20 in my bay. As far as cooling go's if anyones wondering im running a stock fan clutch with OEM Shroud and GKtech fan. <3

Red hoses were the next to go.

I found out my buddy had a type x kit for sale that hes been storing for a good minute, i wasn't going to go around and piece together a kit, im the kind of person who will pay a bit more for ease and time. I sold my 20" work scwerts off of the daily and cashed him out for his type x kit. It came in silver so i had some work to do.

IDK how to share videos soooo heres a link of the skirts and lip, not perfect.
https://www.facebook.com/paulo.juris...7996132060672/

https://www.facebook.com/paulo.juris...8003667289048/

After the rocker arm issues were fixed i actually sprung a powersteering leak and ended up putting the car up on jackstands. I had already replaced the PS line that was leaking but in that time I decided ill prep the aero, throw on my 5 lug, install all my drop knuckles, and install my front arms as well too.

PBM RLCA, PBM drop knuckles, full outfit of stance arms, battle version traction rods,

oh and i bought advans model 5's for some beaters until i can afford a nice set of new wheels again.

My front GKTech V2 drop knuckles and s14 5 lug

voodoo tension rods, 40mm extended s14 LCA's, GKtech drop knuckles

spraying the LCA's

Kouki tails <3

So Vegas drift was holding a practice event on the 18th of February i believe and I actually tried and got the car off the jack stands and drivable to try and be able to get some seat time since i have left the car on stands since August or September due to me just not wanting to work on it. Well this was taken Friday evening of the 16th of February, i had to max camber since my fenders aren't even rolled. Seeing it on the ground just made me feel good inside that I might actually be able to drive it sometime next week. Well that didn't exactly happen. My buddy hit me up telling me to bring the car by in the morning and we can get the fenders rolled. Mind you I just threw it back on insurance that morning with hopes and dreams that I might actually be able to drive it that weekend.

Saturday morning came and i decided to go get my moving permit just in case i get pulled over. I had also left my license at home that morning but went back because i wasn't going to risk anything...

got popped a block away from my buddies house for exp reg but they let me go since i had all the right paperwork etc.

Thanks for the roll @potatosparkles <3

After we got the car semi aligned and the fenders rolled, I headed to my other buddies shop to help him drop a transmission off..... in Barstow. (I was unaware of the location) We got back to the shop around 10pm.

on the way home we ended up picking up some stuff from my house to throw onto the car maybe, one of which being a spare differential that i had received with the car that was supposedly a Tomei LSD. Never care to pop the cover off to check so i wasn't sure.
well i popped the cover off and....

so that was a nice come up with that.. ended up swapping my 13 diff cover on and re installing into the car. Blake got the car aligned around 4:30 am and i was actually able to drive the car on the street and romp on it without worrying about my arms being all lose and all that. After that it was time to call it an evening. Ended up getting home at 6am and slept in until 11am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptpr7CvTtu0

Woke up later that morning, grabbed the tools, cleaned up a tad, and went on to fill the car up with some fresh 100 octane and off we went to Vegasdrift.

I decided to keep it on wet session since this is literally going to be the first time I'm ever drifting it other than that time when i blew my rocker arms while still on open diff. I didn't want to put too much stress on the car incase we forgot to tighten something up but i also wanted to familiarize myself with the new alignment and LSD as well. I have only driven the car a handful of times after the manual swap since it was never registered and it costs a lot to drive a car on 100 octane and a twin disc apexi clutch with a heavy pressure plate. It's my first manual car.

heres a vid of wetsession with me taking it real easy and just letting of throttle everytime i got too high of RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toVwcAPfUCo

next up is new axles all around, new calipers in the rear end, replace the clutch slave and line since it leaks and maybe a new steering rack.

Ill be sure to keep on updating the post as soon as it warms up again and once i finish mounting the rest of the type x kit. It's like 30 degrees in las vegas right now and it makes no sense.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Stolen from my buddies instagram story, putting the car away again for a week or two and get the brakes bled, new slave cylinder in, and get my timing set and new rack bushings. The car handles just as well dry as it was in the wet, can't get over how well its handling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25e2pxfc4AI
Old 02-26-2018, 01:51 AM   #3
RW3

RW3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuck you for making want to get a stroker kit for mine after tonight.
RW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW3 View Post
Fuck you for making want to get a stroker kit for mine after tonight.
You're going to hate me more, I took the car out this weekend before my moving permit expired and slid it on the street a little bit and my buddy got one of my earlier runs on video. Iemme post it up on youtube and post it up.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25e2pxfc4AI
Old 03-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
RW3

RW3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjurisprudencia View Post
I was there ! lmao its bryant bro!
RW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

welp havent touched the car until tonight, I have LED bulbs in the kouki tails rn and i don't have my front signals wired up yet so i was getting that quick blink or hyperflash which i hate with a passion. I picked up a new turn signal relay at work to fix that and will get to wiring up the front signals once it warms up along with finish painting the front bumper and extensions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBOdimrb3rI
Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #8
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW3 View Post
I was there ! lmao its bryant bro!
come by the house and grab these KA Gaskets! lol before i forget lol
Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Very cool to see a stroked SR. Nice build
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Hi Paulo lol, cool to see a build thread on this thing since I never check social media. Love the sound of a stoked SR.
xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You know your rockers broke because of those rocker arm stoppers. Throw them in the trash so it doesn't happen again.

Do dual guide shims.

Nice build.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Very cool to see a stroked SR. Nice build
Thanks man! Appreciate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBtony View Post
Hi Paulo lol, cool to see a build thread on this thing since I never check social media. Love the sound of a stoked SR.
Sup buddy! Long time no talk! yeah man, totally different animal. I’m stoked on the motor a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
You know your rockers broke because of those rocker arm stoppers. Throw them in the trash so it doesn't happen again.

Do dual guide shims.

Nice build.
Sup sylas, yeah I’ll prob do that sometime. When I did the rockers ian and I pulled the RAS off, I just try and keep the car under 8k when I can. I’ll be throwing a Bee*r on it soon as well.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Bee*R is known to toss rockers too but sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Bee*R is known to toss rockers too but sounds great.

Darn even if i keep them down at 7500 or so? looks like ill have some more searching to do.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #15
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Flushed/Bled Clutch Slave (Thought it was leaking, it wasnt)
Aleast i have fresh fluid in it again.

also installed my PBM Offset rack bushings, idk how i feel about these yet, well see once i start driving. I have heard mixed reviews due to them being solid vs poly. I know they don't do much with actually relocating the rack forward but im sure it may help a tad.

Ill be pressure washing the underside of the car as soon as i get all my leak issues sorted. as of now its not really leaking but a small slow seep coming from a coolant line behind the motor along the firewall and power steering return and feed lines off of the reservoir. Those shouldn't be too bad of a fix.

Found out transmission drain plug was hand tight, this was the culprit of my little leak the passed year... I never drained the transmission so i assumed it was tight.... thats what i get for making assumptions i guess. Transmissions still good, just feels notchy getting into reverse and second sometimes but that could be due to the low transmission fluid... I drained about a half cup of fluid out smh.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 AM   #16
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Also not quite sure if my angle is even on both ends...

Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #17
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Definitely getting more steering lock to the left. You should re center the steering rack and then adjust the toe straight.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #18
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Definitely getting more steering lock to the left. You should re center the steering rack and then adjust the toe straight.
What he said. Rack is probably not be centered.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #19
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
What he said. Rack is probably not be centered.
Quote:
Probably when I dropped the whole crossmember when I did my rod bearings a few years ago. I’ll try and re center it sometime soon

Temps have warmed up so will be starting to prep some of the car for paint.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #20
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

I’ll update more when I get home from work. Sprayed the front bar yesterday afternoon.
Out of clear and low on base so the hood will have to wait a tad. No trying to drop $300 on materials this week. It’s not perfect but it’s not terrible so I’m happy with it
Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 AM   #21
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Temps warmed up this Sunday so I last minuted decided to follow through and spray the front bumper again since i was tired of seeing the front end all ratchet. Bought a new DeWalt orbital sander and a spare harbor freight gun for base again which thank goodness i did since my regular HF gun decided to take a dump on me and I am usually really good at keeping them clean and whatnot but i guess the inner seal decided to just give out and let air into the paint cup. Sanded the bumper down, primed it, blocked it with 400, and just went through to base and clear, I didn't know i was pretty much out of reducer, and clear coat so I was lucky i had just enough for this. Here's a video of the straight out of the gun finish and some more photos. not perfect but not a show car also but also not complete trash so im happy. By no means am i a professional or even an amateur painter, i do this because i can afford the materials and have the equipment and would rather do it myself than pay an arm and a leg for a paintjob. It is very much do able to spray your own cars but it does take time, patients, and is not always the cheapest route.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgGX61QLcI

Old 03-20-2018, 01:16 AM   #22
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Thought it was time to finally put the skirts on as well, i don't have the best fitment or the lowest height but thats ok. I have had my fair share of slammed daily's, broken oil pans, and headaches. Im not trying to destroy this car, cut into it, or buckle any fenders. I don't even have the front arches rolled. I am loving where the car is going though and can't wait to find OEM Rear valences and throw the type x wing on.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #23
codyzsilvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
codyzsilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks so good, getting there!
codyzsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #24
Flip2Flow
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Flip2Flow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Loving the build so far! Another vegas local here
Flip2Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #25
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyzsilvia View Post
Looks so good, getting there!
Thanks man appreciate the kind words!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip2Flow View Post
Loving the build so far! Another vegas local here
Thanks! If you see me out and about at the events or at a meet feel free to say whats up!
Old 04-29-2018, 11:53 PM   #26
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

welp I come bearing updates, not much but some, life is in the way at the moment.
I traded my spare type-x wing for some OEM Kouki lower valences ! Drove down to Long Beach to go grab them and I'm super stoked to finally be able to complete the kit and get my wing on.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #27
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

Picked up my Z32 Caliper Rebuild kit on my lunch today, supposedly I have read and been told that this should fit the R32 GTR Sumitomo calipers as well. I tried an oreilly kit and couldn’t get my piston to slide back in so I just cleaned up my old seals and threw them back in. Also compared the seal that came out of the caliper to the Z32 and they were different size. If anyone can chime in on any info I’d appreciate that !

EDIT: Did some more digging, this is the part number, if this doesn’t work I’m doing something wrong.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #28
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

So I have come to the conclusion that BrakeBest 15212 does not fit these calipers, the seals for the piston are too small and don’t allow you to fit it back into the caliper. I ended up going to my Nissan dealership and buying the OEM Z32 kit and that fit perfect. Calipers are off to my buddy now to get coated !

Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #29
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjurisprudencia View Post
Darn even if i keep them down at 7500 or so? looks like ill have some more searching to do.
I may be late to answering this, but yes Bee*R will do worse for your rockers. It is not the RPMs that kill rockers, its the type of limiter. Ignition cut limiters are not friendly to SR rocker arms. PFC and stock ECU dudes can bang limiters all the time, but once you switch to ignition cut rockers fail (ask me how I know). I switched to a fuel cut in mine and its been good since. And in general I make an effort to stay off the limiter.

Also RAS really aren't that bad honestly. They will crack the rocker arm if it gets to that point in the head, but without them the rocker arm just falls off, which also sucks, but not as damaging. Dual guides and no RAS will probably be the safest bet. I still rock RAS though.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #30
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

really wish i had better updates but money is keeping me from buying paint and getting the car registered and getting some fresh 100 octane in the tank. Also looks like i missed some updates. So after the drift even a few months ago my car starting wandering across the road, thought it was my rack bushings hence why i threw the PBM's on. It wasnt the rack bushings but the actual nut to the lower ball joint backed off and the passenger side wheel was moving freely all over the place. Got the car up on jack stands and tightened that up, with the ball joint all tight, new rack bushings, and pretty much all new suspension the car handles like a go kart. No play at all. heres an old video that surfaced just recently from a few months ago. Bear with me they're all stolen from IG and Snapchat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3-6MmkIUmU

here is a test run from when we just finished tightening up the ball joint friday night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkelWWXvoA