Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #181
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Haha, I just stumbled on this thread. We've been discussing this virtually non-stop since '06. It started off as just a S Chassis successor thread but the discussion is so much more than that.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=127041&page=327
Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #182
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
Im on corn and use to pay around 20 bucks a week and put around 150-160 miles on a tank just driving to school/work without going to meets or spirited driving. E85 gone up to 1.99 vs 1.65ish months ago before I rehauled everything. Even if its magically 400/m for a FRS I still got other bills and have to save for next semester classes plus spoil myself where I can because I do work hard for my check.
So you're shooting yourself in the foot? It seems like you're the embodiment of my whole crusade here: excess.

You didn't HAVE to tune your car to run E85 and you don't HAVE to spoil yourself. You chose to do those things. If you had a KA24DE or a factory-spec SR you wouldn't be forced to pay so much for fuel. I don't know what you mean by 'spoil yourself' but it's a matter of perspective: you buy a car you really want and you 'spoil' yourself by affording it every month...or you go get 'lit' or 'turnt up' with 'ya boys'. It sounds to me like you just want to bitch about it...?

I'm not trying to flame you. Seems like you have the ability to articulate your thoughts very well and I can't deny it's refreshing on this forum. however, like many people have told me before, you seem like your own worst enemy.

Excess plays into my argument for the ZN6: it doesn't HAVE to have a turbo and it doesn't HAVE to have high HP numbers. People want it and bitch about it when they're actually being dealt a great hand. One of the best new platforms out there, save maybe the new ND Miata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkpainter View Post

1.) As someone who worked at a nissan dealership bodyshop for 7 months i will tell you that a new s chassis or whatever you would call it would be trash.

2.) Altimas, maximas, rouges and the like are built to piss poor quality standards. There are recalls for defective hood latches and while driving down the road your hood will pop damaging your entire front end.

3.) There is not a model of nissan or infiniti where the tail lamps don't chip through the paint of the quarter panels with road vibrations.

4.) Nissan is not and will most likely never be what it once was.
1.) Read: I'm barely an expert but where I come from 7 months is a God damned eternity.

2.) Read: I only worked on the 'boring cars' and don't mention how a 370Z is put together.

3.) Read: except for the S-Chassis because I know for a fact that dizzariot has never seen this happen on any of his S-Chassis cars.

4.) Maybe...but the point of this thread is (ironically enough) hope that they'll give the 'ZN6 treatment' to a new S-Chassis car.

That's what I'm trying to convey here. Toyota really went away from their norm to shit out the ZN6. I'm just hoping Nissan would do the same. I'm sure that if we went back in time and you heard about Toyota making a RWD car you'd all bitch ab out it having a 'Corolla motor' and 'shitty transmission' blah blah blah. The point here is that people like me are hoping Nissan will actually try to breath some fresh life into a new S-Chassis. Likely, given their current line up? Fuck no. Can a girl dream? Yes.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #183
wkpainter

Trader Rating: (0)
wkpainter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ive been in a body shop for almost 10 years, but i'm not here to talk about that.
The difference of build quality of a (brand new) rav4 compared to a (brand new) rouge is huge. I didnt talk about the build quality of a gtr because it is a totally different class of car. And your right, i didnt see a Z in my time there, or my time at any other body shop. wierd.

A new S chassis, taking into consideration its price point, would be built to the same quality of an altima. Altimas are not built to the same quality of a camry.

I'm not digging on old nissans. The problems I'm talking about are with current production models. A new rwd 2 door nissan with a $24,000 price point would be beat by the other brands.

I used to say that if nissan dropped an s15 successor (i had lots of interest in the idx) I would buy it day one. After spending more time working on nissans and seeing their faults and lack of quality my mind has been changed.

I have no interest in sports cars at the Z's price point. If i had the money for a car in the gtr price point i would buy the gtr.

Id rather spend another 10-14k on my s13 than buy a new one that isn't coming anyway.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #184
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
So you're shooting yourself in the foot? It seems like you're the embodiment of my whole crusade here: excess.

You didn't HAVE to tune your car to run E85 and you don't HAVE to spoil yourself. You chose to do those things. If you had a KA24DE or a factory-spec SR you wouldn't be forced to pay so much for fuel. I don't know what you mean by 'spoil yourself' but it's a matter of perspective: you buy a car you really want and you 'spoil' yourself by affording it every month...or you go get 'lit' or 'turnt up' with 'ya boys'. It sounds to me like you just want to bitch about it...?

I'm not trying to flame you. Seems like you have the ability to articulate your thoughts very well and I can't deny it's refreshing on this forum. however, like many people have told me before, you seem like your own worst enemy.
It seems to me you flame whenever you can which is fine because most of what you say is actually true. You're actually right, I did shoot myself in the foot getting a 240 and wasting money on it than getting a little honda to get from point a/b with tons in my savings account. I didnt tune the car for it, I bought it from the previous owner like that. It was a shitty top mount setup but after replacing a few things it was perfect, no issue dailying it besides having a grabby 6 puck clutch in stop/go traffic. Got tons of stations by me, its cheap, works out the same as regular pump gas and hell of a lot better for the a stock 25 year old engine. Its not a bad choice for me, plus I got a retune recently for both pump/e85 because it does suck to have work out driving all the time. By spoil myself ill pick up film to shoot, buy a lens, see a movie, eat out once a week which is like 10 bucks or buy stuff relating to music like records or equipment which is dumb cheap. Its literally just small things vs paying for quality clothes, shoes, phone, drugs/liq, fast food, jewelry, video games, fancy tv or other materialistic stuff. I feel its more "fullfilling" seeing where your money went instead of experiencing for short time and looking forward to the same shit new weekend for the rest your life turning up. I could be bitching but most car guys do is bitch about there car, I think its normal because no right person spends the amount of time/money as we do.

My point is, its easy for me to mod and pay fully for everything on my car vs the hassle of busting my ass off more for a newer car which objectively wont be a better car than what I have. Only thing im shitted on is safety/comfort and thats about it.

For me at least, I plan everything out months in advanced, I knew my motor was going to go in a year or so. Saved up a couple grand from a second job, put away money from my regular part time job priced out machine work, internals and replacing everything then when it happened I had the money to do so and had a blast. Not many can say they did the same at my age or let alone budget 13k with 0 credit/debt. I have friends struggling to pay off a shitty mazda 3 and passat while going to school because they dont put in hours and waste there money.

Personally, i'd rather have my car. Knowing I have everything paid off and I dont owe anything, will outperform most brand new stock cars which cost double, and had the experience of building it which is pretty gay to say but is pretty priceless.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #185
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is that you John Wayne?
Is this me?
Old 09-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #186
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkpainter View Post
As someone who worked at a nissan dealership bodyshop for 7 months i will tell you that a new s chassis or whatever you would call it would be trash. It may tickle our nostalgia but it would be a shit box. Working on cars gives you a different appreciation for build quality and intelligent engineering. Altimas, maximas, rouges and the like are built to piss poor quality standards. There are recalls for defective hood latches and while driving down the road your hood will pop damaging your entire front end. There are rust problems with chrome moldings rubbing into and through the paint. Front ends of sentras altimas and rouges have terrible gap problems. There is not a model of nissan or infiniti where the tail lamps don't chip through the paint of the quarter panels with road vibrations. The rear body panels and rear frame rails are paper thin. Nissan is not and will most likely never be what it once was.
I would rank japanese build quality in the following order least to highest:
Nissan
Mazda
Subaru
Toyota/Honda

If there was a rear wheel option with a 2.0 turbo for each manufacturer around the same price point i would purchase in the order of
toyota
subaru (brand loyal)
honda
mazda
nissan.

Seeing nissan revive the s chassis would break your heart in the long run because the thing would be a piece of junk.
Once I read your first statement, I stopped reading. You worked at a dealership for 7 months yields a few things:
1. You probably sucked at your job and they kicked you out the door.
2. You obviously didn't learn shit in your long, awarding 7-month career.
3. You probably have enough in your 401K to buy 10x FR-S cash due to you working there so long.
4. Shut up.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #187
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
Once I read your first statement, I stopped reading. You worked at a dealership for 7 months yields a few things:
1. You probably sucked at your job and they kicked you out the door.
2. You obviously didn't learn shit in your long, awarding 7-month career.
3. You probably have enough in your 401K to buy 10x FR-S cash due to you working there so long.
4. Shut up.
He's worked in a body shop for 10 years, so he's been around for a while. What I find weird is that he saw more Nissan problems when he worked at a Nissan body shop. I wouldn't expect anyone to see more issues from a brand when he works at that brand. It's almost like working for Burger King and seeing more burger king products than McDonald's.

But, his lack of liking new Nissans is due to his inherent Snobaru status. Whenever you buy a new Snobaru, you get your choice of a free neckbeard, man-bun, box wine, or for an extra 7 bux a month, you can get all three plus a pretty solid maintenance plan and a free dog. Really is a great program and it's good nationwide. So, if you live in the Northeast, you can travel to the nutsac of the Americas, commonly known as Florida, and still get some free box wine. So, you can't blame him for that either.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #188
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
I mean, my B13 Sentra never chipped any quarter panel paint off from vibrations. Just saying.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #189
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
Nobody's ever has. I haven't even heard of that as a thing. I've had 2 240's, 2 350Z's, a Sentra, a Maxima, and a G35 coupe and I've never had that happen to ANY of them. Matter fact, the G35 was stock bodied, got love tapped in the arse end during some tandem at Lancaster speedway, and that STILL didn't happen lol. This "body guy" is totally on the gaff.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #190
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
But if you've seen it with 3 cars then that sample size justifies the assumption that all Nissans have that problem. Basic statistics man.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #191
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Good point. In his 7-month stint, the 3 cars he worked on ALL had said issue. I bet they all got smashed in the back, too.

Irony?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #192
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

I've learned, in all of the years that I've driven past a body shop, that where cars are smashed, there's always damage. I don't get it.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #193
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
Haha, I just stumbled on this thread. We've been discussing this virtually non-stop since '06. It started off as just a S Chassis successor thread but the discussion is so much more than that.

Right? This is by far the most redundant thread on Zilvia. Needs to be merged.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #194
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

Settle down debbie downer.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #195
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
FOR FUTURE POSTINGS, PLEASE REFER TO THREAD BELOW! Locked like a mofo...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Closed Thread