Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
1992 RMKS13 restoration/build

This post will be edited as I add to thread.

What it looked like when I took delivery of it on September 10, 2020:

After being away from the 240SX for several years, I picked up a low mileage, good condition 1992 240SX w/ Super HICAS in the middle of 2020.

This thread will serve as my restoration + build thread. Not really building anything, but there's a lot of small things to fix...
  • 1992 Model Year
  • Canadian-spec vehicle
  • 92,601km (57,875mi) upon entry into California
  • RMKS13 - 240SX SE hatchback w/ handling package (Super HICAS, VLSD, etc)

Current list of problems to fix on the car include:
  • Original owner of the car purchased the handling package w/ automatic transmission, however the second owner of the car did a manual conversion sort of half-assed. It's not done well and I am in the process of fixing it all.
  • Surface rust on suspension components and subframe need to be cleaned up.
  • Rear hatch spoiler needs to be fixed.
  • Three spots of rust need to be fixed, one is next to strut tower in engine bay. Other major one is battery tray.
  • Cassette head unit does not play cassette tapes.

More pictures to follow...

Added Aug 15:

Quote:
Finally got around to resizing and uploading some pictures.

The car was low mileage, but being in a snowy climate it was not immune from surface rust on suspension/drivetrain/exhaust, as well as a couple of common rust spots.

3-ish places of rust needs to be fixed, and it is my intention to do it right all the way through.

Rust spots:
  • Under rear hatch spoiler
  • Driver's side strut tower (spot rust under body seam)
  • Passenger side rear wheel well edge
  • Battery tray

My friend Makito at Seven Apple (body shop) is confident he can fix all the areas without having to remove/repaint other major panels. I will probably have him fix the paint/respray/refinish the exterior but it's mostly as needed as we go along. Will leave it as-is for now, the rust isn't spreading and I haven't driven the car in months.

November 18 2020:

Installed Hella H4 conversion headlights. Still the best mod you can do upgrading from stock 6054 halogens...

Before...

After...

November 20 2020:

Replaced the 30 year old tension rod bushings with Nismo units, since that's what is left. Will swap to actual Nismo S13 tension rod later when I am ready to do the remaining suspension work.

December 4 2020:

As you can see, there's a fair amount of surface rust on the underside. Thankfully the chassis overall is good, every rust spot is an area where I can clean it up or fix.

• Replaced the Luk clutch kit + unknown flywheel that was on the car with a factory Nissan unit (resurfaced) and Exedy OEM replacement clutch
  • Also replaced with all new hardware for flywheel/clutch pressure plate bolts.
  • Replaced original downpipe/catalytic converter with a cleaner unit off a donor S13 convertible.
  • Replaced rusted stock exhaust with a cleaner, mostly rust-free unit purchased locally.

Replaced stock downpipe gaskets + catalytic converter gaskets.

Stock exhaust rusted vs a cleaner version:

March 28, 2022:

A few things done since the last update:

Ordered a VIS Racing OE replacement rear wing. I plan on using this as a base to restore the factory rear spoiler, and also fixing the rust. The VIS Racing wing is surprisingly close to stock in terms of shape:

Also had the stock injectors cleaned and had new hardware installed. These are now the most perfect flowing factory injectors I have ever owned...

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]

Last edited by mav1178; 03-28-2022 at 09:35 PM..
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This is going to be good.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looking to see what you do with this, with the resources you have at hand.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #4
S13project
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
S13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Gotta be cleanest interior I've ever seen
Old 01-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
s1421
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
s1421 is a jewel in the roughs1421 is a jewel in the roughs1421 is a jewel in the roughs1421 is a jewel in the roughs1421 is a jewel in the roughs1421 is a jewel in the roughs1421 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
In for the updates
s1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:21 AM   #6
gzus9
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
gzus9 is a jewel in the roughgzus9 is a jewel in the roughgzus9 is a jewel in the roughgzus9 is a jewel in the roughgzus9 is a jewel in the roughgzus9 is a jewel in the roughgzus9 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
cant wait to see the progress.
gzus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fixing up the manual swap should be easy, all the info is out there. If the cassette doesn't play it could just use a good cleaning of the motor and full logic buttons.
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #8
Alex Mcknz

Trader Rating: (0)
Alex Mcknz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It looks clean, seems like the previous owner knows how to take good care of a car.
Alex Mcknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
I can finally start this project... submitted paperwork for California DMV foreign import process the first week of November, plates issued this week!

[email protected]
Old 04-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Persona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Man oh man, cant wait to see updates. This thing looks clean!
Old 04-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
wow. total dick move teasing us with just that one interior pic

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #12
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Finally got around to resizing and uploading some pictures.

The car was low mileage, but being in a snowy climate it was not immune from surface rust on suspension/drivetrain/exhaust, as well as a couple of common rust spots.

3-ish places of rust needs to be fixed, and it is my intention to do it right all the way through.

Rust spots:
  • Under rear hatch spoiler
  • Driver's side strut tower (spot rust under body seam)
  • Passenger side rear wheel well edge
  • Battery tray

My friend Makito at Seven Apple (body shop) is confident he can fix all the areas without having to remove/repaint other major panels. I will probably have him fix the paint/respray/refinish the exterior but it's mostly as needed as we go along. Will leave it as-is for now, the rust isn't spreading and I haven't driven the car in months.

November 18 2020:

Installed Hella H4 conversion headlights. Still the best mod you can do upgrading from stock 6054 halogens...

Before...

After...

November 20 2020:

Replaced the 30 year old tension rod bushings with Nismo units, since that's what is left. Will swap to actual Nismo S13 tension rod later when I am ready to do the remaining suspension work.

December 4 2020:

As you can see, there's a fair amount of surface rust on the underside. Thankfully the chassis overall is good, every rust spot is an area where I can clean it up or fix.

• Replaced the Luk clutch kit + unknown flywheel that was on the car with a factory Nissan unit (resurfaced) and Exedy OEM replacement clutch
  • Also replaced with all new hardware for flywheel/clutch pressure plate bolts.
  • Replaced original downpipe/catalytic converter with a cleaner unit off a donor S13 convertible.
  • Replaced rusted stock exhaust with a cleaner, mostly rust-free unit purchased locally.

Replaced stock downpipe gaskets + catalytic converter gaskets.

Stock exhaust rusted vs a cleaner version:

More updates later as I sort pics and clean up things.

[email protected]
Old 03-28-2022, 09:27 PM   #13
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

A few things done since the last update:

Ordered a VIS Racing OE replacement rear wing. I plan on using this as a base to restore the factory rear spoiler, and also fixing the rust. The VIS Racing wing is surprisingly close to stock in terms of shape:

Also had the stock injectors cleaned and had new hardware installed. These are now the most perfect flowing factory injectors I have ever owned...

[email protected]