Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
alternator not charging

My car is fucking broken someone help

Recently I swapped in a new engine room harness to replace my chewed up one. The new harness is from a base model 95 s14, my car is a 95 SE. There is a small difference in the fusebox on these which requires you to splice the alternator connection together.

See PAGE 32 from the EL section of the FSM.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1995/EL.pdf

You can see the connection that looks like a ground from the SE model needs to be spliced with the E18 connector from the base model fuse box.

I used one of these connectors from lowes to crimp them together because the gages are too big to solder.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3370328

Next, after getting it started the alternator wasn't charging the battery and it would slowly die. I had them test it at autozone but it passed. I went ahead and bought a new one anyways. I've installed the new alternator and charged the battery back up to normal. Now the car stays at a constant 12~Volts when it should be reading 13-14V. Its strange because the car is NOT dieing out when I leave it running for a while, but the alternator seems to not be doing anything because if you take off the battery ground it dies. I don't know how the battery could be staying relatively constant with some electronics running if the alternator isn't doing anything?

All of the connections are tight including the belt tensioner. I've checked the shock tower ground that runs to the alternator. I'm really at a loss for what the fuck is wrong with it and I've been staring at the FSM for way too long. The 75 AMP fuse is not blown and I've even tried jumping the connection without the fuse. The 7.5 AMP fuse is also fine.

I've got 0.3V on the multimeter when I run the check from the ground on battery terminal to alternator casing and 0.5v when I run the positive terminal on the battery to the positive terminal on the alternator. I feel like if its NOT reading out at 13-14v the first time I take it for a drive its going to die on me if I just leave it alone even if its not dieing after 20 mins idling in the garage. I also got no change in reading when I revved the engine up.

I can't think of anything else I wanted to mention about the issue. I just want my damn car to run correctly.
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links