Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
TunanS14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
TunanS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
350Z pedals in an S14

So, this is something I've always wanted to do ever since I saw it in Broadfield's S13 but have never seen done in an S14. I decided to take on the project and to show the process of the "swap" to help my S-chassis family. Although its nothing too crazy, I do think it's a huge improvement to the outdated 240sx OE setup while still maintaining a classy look.

First and foremost - the 350z pedals. I purchased from West Covina Nissan via eBay as a complete set (sorry no pics). The set included a dead pedal or footrest for the Z but is completely unusable for the 240sx. The clutch and brake pedal covers, however, are a direct fit. The accelerator pedal is also not a direct fit and the 240sx's pedal assembly needs to be modified in order for this to work.

I removed the 240's accelerator pedal assembly and slipped the OEM plastic cover off. Next, I milled the pedal's metal plate down so that only the rod remained.

Left with only the accelerator rod, I drilled and tapped the end of the rod using a 10-24 tap. The 350z accelerator is L shaped so, to replicate this, I turned down a piece of steel in our lathe at work to slip in the plastic sleeve provided with the Z gas pedal. I then milled a flat and drilled a "through-hole" so that this could be bolted to the end of the 240sx accelerator rod.

Now, the 240sx's pedal is centered on the rod but slanted, and the rod itself is bent to offset the pedal to the right, as you can seen in the above photo. The 350z's pedal, however, is not centered, but sits to the right of the center of the accelerator rod. Upon trial and error, when I test fit the, now modified 240sx accelerator into the S14, it sat all the way against the transmission tunnel. The 240's accelerator rod has to be straightend for the pedal to be in a comfortable position for the driver.

So, once again, I test fit the accelerator and 350z pedal and made sure I was satisfied with the position. I then removed the assembly and welded the little piece that I had previously made and bolted to the end of the accelerator rod and gave it a fresh coat of black paint.

The installed 350z pedal on the modified 240sx accelerator assembly..

The 240's accelerator rod has a slightly smaller diameter than the 350z's so once plastic clip went on, there was a slight bit of play on the shaft. I drilled a small hole into the clip and used a short screw to act as a set screw and put pressure against the rod, therefore, eliminating all free play

As I stated earlier, the 350z's dead pedal, or footrest is completely useless in this install. I scrounged up a scrap piece of billet aluminum plate we had laying around the shop and cut it to the same specs as the Z's dead pedal. I then replicated the hole pattern and chamfering on the Z's pedals so that it all looked uniform.

Once that was finished, I rounded the corners, and all the edges. Then, I clamped the piece in the vise and gave it a brushed aluminum finish to match the pedals. Once that was complete, I took a piece of 1/16 steel shim, painted it black and used it as a backing plate to give the pedal a finished look. I, then attached the pedal to the 240sx's stock plastic dead pedal using stainless bolts (aesthetics only).

And next to the OEM 350z gas pedal

And so, with it all bolted up, the finished product and I couldn't be happier with the results!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
should be really fun to drive if it ever rains. lol.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
bmxer882x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
bmxer882x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^who cares would be same as a z?

Looks dope tho. Props
bmxer882x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i think hes sayinng if it rains his feet will keep slipping off the pedals because of the material (metal?)

looks nice OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
bmxer882x
Zilvia Junkie

bmxer882x is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm got that, but the only part that isn't like a z is the footrest. And woopty doo if your foot slips off that in the rain.
bmxer882x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
should be really fun to drive if it ever rains. lol.
it never rains in southern california.........

(someone had to say it)
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Looks good, nice to see someone going the distance to make it a clean and functional install. Too bad most people here will not go the distance to install a set of pedals. You probably could make some $ if you decide to make and start selling the dead pedal.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
TunanS14
Leaky Injector

Yes, they are aluminum pedals, and they are a stock "option" in 350z's. The clutch and brake pedals are a rubber pad with an aluminum overlay. They have rubber protruding through the holes for grip. The gas and dead pedal, however, are only solid aluminum. Thanks for the replies, just wanted to share my work.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 AM   #9
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
I never had a problem with my foot slipping on my z in rain or snow.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Clean......
Old 10-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

(someone had to say it)
flawless victory
Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
the setup looks OK

but hands down, the best pedals I have ever found are made by a company called SRP (srpracing.com)

very high quality. not clip on bullshit, you need to drill and tap and secure them with fasteners.

thats what i use on all my cars. ALL BILLET baby.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
240sxfan6882
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxfan6882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
the setup looks OK

but hands down, the best pedals I have ever found are made by a company called SRP (srpracing.com)

very high quality. not clip on bullshit, you need to drill and tap and secure them with fasteners.

thats what i use on all my cars. ALL BILLET baby.
They do look good.
I think i'm getting a set! Thanks for the link!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Ha! Mike those are the ones I ordered but never installed.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:

(someone had to say it)
He bought the parts from west covina nissan, says he's in Charlotte, NC
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
He bought the parts from west covina nissan, says he's in Charlotte, NC
never heard of fedex or ups, wayne?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #17
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
The pedals in the link look good. I prefer the OEM pedals though, they look better IMO.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats the install on the S13. Same thing?
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
TunanS14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwire View Post
whats the install on the S13. Same thing?
http://forums.nicoclub.com/hijacker-...578177-60.html

Here's a link for an install on an S13 that I came across on Nico. The S13 gas and clutch pedals are shaped slightly different than the 350z/S14 (which happen to be very similar, if not the same size) so the pedal assemblys needs to be trimmed. The accelerator on the S13 already has an L shape unlike the S14, making the gas pedal install somewhat easier. And, the matching dead pedal is obviously optional but I think it completes the look.

Last edited by TunanS14; 10-15-2014 at 03:58 PM..
TunanS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #20
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
can you make me another one of those dead pedals?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
TunanS14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
can you make me another one of those dead pedals?
I would have to order more material but for the right price I could absolutely make more dead pedals
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #22
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
^^^ What is your ball park price for a dead pedal?
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #23
TunanS14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
^^^ What is your ball park price for a dead pedal?
Material alone would be around $10 per piece. I guess a fair price would be $40 shipped. That's the pedal with the black, steel backing plate. If anyone would be interested in the little shaft to weld onto the end of the accelerator rod for the Z pedal, I could do those for $10.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #24
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Eoken is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Please make me a pedal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunanS14 View Post
Material alone would be around $10 per piece. I guess a fair price would be $40 shipped. That's the pedal with the black, steel backing plate. If anyone would be interested in the little shaft to weld onto the end of the accelerator rod for the Z pedal, I could do those for $10.
I would be willing to pay you $40 for you to make me a pedal like this for my S13. I sent you a PM.
Eoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #25
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'd be interested in a complete bolt on 350z pedal kit lol. S13.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #26
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pretty decent work.
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote